LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retaining songs  (Read 2083 times)

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

Retaining songs
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
We learn about 7 new songs a month and on any given Sunday we can play any one of the new songs, or we may play one of the old songs. We never know what song the MOM may pick. How do you guys retain the songs you learn, what method do you use to remember the bass line of a song you learned lets say two months ago? 

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Retaining songs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Our Bass player (God bless him!) records the songs we rehearse on his iPhone, for later playback and practice...

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
Our Bass player (God bless him!) records the songs we rehearse on his iPhone, for later playback and practice...
Yes Betnich that's grate but now does he remember the bass line from a song he learned three months ago or 5 months..

For example the choir is suppose to sing songs A,B and C for Sunday service these are the songs they practice on Thursday. come Sunday the mom decides to sing songs E,F and G, songs they learned THREE MONTHS AGO! Now your put on the spot and you don't have time to play around until you remember it you need to jump right in and play! ?/? how does he remembers the bass line?

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »
I chart out the majority of the songs that I learn.  I keep my "song book" in my gig bag.  If I can't remember a song, I open my book and quickly review the parts that I don't remember.  This serves multiple purposes for me:
1) It helps me to get through the song
2) It helps me when going back and practicing songs that I haven't had time to go over in months (I still have books of songs from 10 years ago that I can go back to if needed).  I hate having to re-learn a song that I've played before.
3) I'm a visual person and writing out songs help me understand the form of the song.

I took over bass duties (after about 5 years of not playing out) after our bass player passed and had to learn music for 3 choirs, several praise teams and the specialty choirs (men's, women's...etc).  That was over 100 songs (still trying to learn many of them).  This past week I got a text from my drummer with a list of 10 songs to learn for Praise Team rehearsal on the following day.  I only had time to go through the songs and chart them out because I had to work the next day.  Sometimes all those songs get jumbled up in my old brain...lol

I said all of that because I know that some people feel that charts are a crutch and shouldn't be used.  I always say do what you have to in order to get through the service/gig.  The more you play the songs, the less you will need the charts but, until then, do what you have to.  You'll also realize how most songs use similar progressions and start to hear where songs are going.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
i have a book with this stuff in it

Also I talk to my MOM fairly often (we are related) so I pick my MOM's brain as much as possible

Still doesn't always help ... one time I had the song written but I didn't have the rythm notated at all in any sort of way ... :( no bueno amigo

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »
why are u getting demands to learn 10 songs for the next day? that seems a bit inconsiderate of your time. and that just sets u up to be unprepared in rehearsal. a bit unfair if you ask me.

what i do is upon first learning the song, i commit it to memory. so most songs we do, i remember the patterns (but not always the key). Its easier for songs that follow a progression, but for ones that have a specific bassline or run thats key to the song, its a little harder. What i try to do is keep a few playlists on my iPod, and at work, during my commute, and free time I just have those playing. More than likely the rotation will include songs that we will do, and stuff that i feel i just need a refresher on, i'll cue up. Sometimes i'll go through different songs during free practice and just brush up on old stuff.

i tried the chart thing. too many papers. and it gets cumbersome trying to chart out stuff when i dont know what the heck the other instruments are playing. so it cant be a chord chart, and i hate bass tabs. also songs that have crazy timings, or numerous moves are easier for me to remember than write down.

oddly, i like relearning songs. i actually do that intentionally once i feel my skills have progressed a certain level. i get to try stuff new and even discover new things in the song that were over my head the previous time.

5deep, i suggest figure out your learning style and adapt. You've gotten several different ways to handle the same task, but you have to explore and figure out what works best for you.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:30:57 PM »
oh it also helps if you sing the songs

so during practice since you got your part down sing the song ... and then when trying to remember you have multiple things to pull on to remember what the bass line is ...

still doesn't work for me all the time sometimes I sit there dumbfounded for a bit until something clicks

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »
LOW TECH METHOD: What mjl422 said.

HI-TECH METHOD: if you have an iPad or iPhone, get the Set List Maker app.  It allows you to load as many songs as you need to into as many set lists as you wanna build.  You can attach notes to each song.  For example, your notes can spell out the chord progression.  You can even add detail on when to come in, when to modulate, etc.  You can also link it to songs on your iPhone / iPad so that you can play them and play along if you want.

One of my favorite apps.

I use this for my secular gig.  We play about 45 - 50 songs over a three set, 4 hour gig.  Set List Maker keeps me straight on what's coming next, what key it's in, and any special things I need to do.

Here's what each song entry can look like.  The bottom part is free form to put whatever notes you want.....

And this is what it looks like in Perform Mode.  If you tap the pencil icon, it displays whatever is written in the notes section on the song entry page.

No doubt a book works well and is easy to maintain.  I have one that I use for church.  But finding songs in a hurry is MUCH easier with Set List Maker, at least for me.  Eventually I'll add my church material to this app.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:51 PM »
why are u getting demands to learn 10 songs for the next day? that seems a bit inconsiderate of your time. and that just sets u up to be unprepared in rehearsal. a bit unfair if you ask me.

what i do is upon first learning the song, i commit it to memory. so most songs we do, i remember the patterns (but not always the key). Its easier for songs that follow a progression, but for ones that have a specific bassline or run thats key to the song, its a little harder. What i try to do is keep a few playlists on my iPod, and at work, during my commute, and free time I just have those playing. More than likely the rotation will include songs that we will do, and stuff that i feel i just need a refresher on, i'll cue up. Sometimes i'll go through different songs during free practice and just brush up on old stuff.

i tried the chart thing. too many papers. and it gets cumbersome trying to chart out stuff when i dont know what the heck the other instruments are playing. so it cant be a chord chart, and i hate bass tabs. also songs that have crazy timings, or numerous moves are easier for me to remember than write down.

oddly, i like relearning songs. i actually do that intentionally once i feel my skills have progressed a certain level. i get to try stuff new and even discover new things in the song that were over my head the previous time.

5deep, i suggest figure out your learning style and adapt. You've gotten several different ways to handle the same task, but you have to explore and figure out what works best for you.

Most of the songs were fairly easy (a couple of them I already knew).  So, I just listened to them and picked out the songs that would be easy for me to learn.  I learned about 6 of them.  I haven't figured out why people wait until the last minute. I think some people are just used to doing things halfway and expect the holy spirit to bail them out (don't get me started on that because that's a major frustration for me right now).  There have been plenty of times where I sat out a song and told them "you didn't get me the songs in time". 

It's not really charts.  I basically write out the progressions or any lines that I might forget or whatever I might need to get through a song.  I have a journal that I use, with a table of contents, page numbering...etc.  For me, the 'chart' is just a road map which leaves alot of room for interpretation of how to get from one place to the next.  I don't like re-learning songs because I hardly ever know what we are going to do (unless it's one of the specialty choirs) so, I'm trying to get through as much material as I can at any given time.  It still leaves space for adding to songs.  I just don't want to be sitting there looping a section trying to remember what the progression or lick/line is.

I forgot to mention that I also have a playlist that I listen to, sing the bassline and visualize myself playing them (that helps alot).  I have the most trouble with songs that we haven't done in months and I can't readily remember how the song goes.  My memory is not what it used to be so, writing stuff out helps me.

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:29 PM »
BTW, I'm working towards the day when I can play whatever I hear in my head but, I'm not there yet.

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »
When I first joined my church a few months ago, I was catching up on songs, and since I was the new cat, I had to do some charting.  I just brought my macbook pro and made slides on powerpoint.  Easy to read, and whenever they threw me a new song, I just added it and rearranged the songs/slides in order of service.  I finally got around to just listening to tunes and learning them that way, which to me sticks longer and better. 
Praise Him!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
Wow seven new songs a month. Y'all need a keyboard/organ player? I don't remember the last time we did new material. :) If I was a bass player I would be learning the songs in all keys or at least several.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline dafunky1

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »

HI-TECH METHOD: if you have an iPad or iPhone, get the Set List Maker app.  It allows you to load as many songs as you need to into as many set lists as you wanna build.  You can attach notes to each song.  For example, your notes can spell out the chord progression.  You can even add detail on when to come in, when to modulate, etc.  You can also link it to songs on your iPhone / iPad so that you can play them and play along if you want.

One of my favorite apps.

Thanks Malthumb! I'm going to download and try Set List Maker!!
(Carvin (LB75 + SB5000)) x (Carvin BX1200+ Dr. Bass 2460D) = DaFunk

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 09:52:25 PM »
Thanks Malthumb! I'm going to download and try Set List Maker!!

Did that!!! Where the heck was this thing 3 years ago?? I couldve definitely used it then, when i first started playing for the large jurisdictional choir and they were throwing out songs left and right that were "everybody knows this" songs (but i didnt know how to play them). Well it'll be handy now since its a bit harder right now for me to remember songs on keys for P&W.

Most of the songs were fairly easy (a couple of them I already knew).  So, I just listened to them and picked out the songs that would be easy for me to learn.  I learned about 6 of them.  I haven't figured out why people wait until the last minute. I think some people are just used to doing things halfway and expect the holy spirit to bail them out (don't get me started on that because that's a major frustration for me right now).  There have been plenty of times where I sat out a song and told them "you didn't get me the songs in time". 

i totally understand. I did the same, and sometimes i get dumped like 5 songs the NIGHT before, and i learn them if they're easy, but I still make a fuss, because if I dont, they'll expect it all the time. And then when i cant get it done, they take it as Im the one slacking on my duties, rather than theyre being late with getting material to me. And that definitely matters more, since I play keys for P&W regularly now, and it takes me like 3 times to learn a song on keys than on bass.

For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 09:26:34 AM »
Wow seven new songs a month. Y'all need a keyboard/organ player? I don't remember the last time we did new material. :) If I was a bass player I would be learning the songs in all keys or at least several.

Fortunately, with bass, the pattern stays the same regardles of what key you are in.  Learn it once and move it around as needed.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 06:22:32 PM »

It's not really charts.  I basically write out the progressions or any lines that I might forget or whatever I might need to get through a song.  I have a journal that I use, with a table of contents, page numbering...etc.  For me, the 'chart' is just a road map which leaves alot of room for interpretation of how to get from one place to the next.  I don't like re-learning songs because I hardly ever know what we are going to do (unless it's one of the specialty choirs) so, I'm trying to get through as much material as I can at any given time.  It still leaves space for adding to songs.  I just don't want to be sitting there looping a section trying to remember what the progression or lick/line is.

I forgot to mention that I also have a playlist that I listen to, sing the bassline and visualize myself playing them (that helps alot).  I have the most trouble with songs that we haven't done in months and I can't readily remember how the song goes.  My memory is not what it used to be so, writing stuff out helps me.

aww shucks in that case you MOM needs to stop doing that

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 09:43:54 PM »

One of my favorite apps.

I use this for my secular gig.  We play about 45 - 50 songs over a three set, 4 hour gig.  Set List Maker keeps me straight on what's coming next, what key it's in, and any special things I need to do.

Here's what each song entry can look like.  The bottom part is free form to put whatever notes you want.....

And this is what it looks like in Perform Mode.  If you tap the pencil icon, it displays whatever is written in the notes section on the song entry page.

No doubt a book works well and is easy to maintain.  I have one that I use for church.  But finding songs in a hurry is MUCH easier with Set List Maker, at least for me.  Eventually I'll add my church material to this app.
I like this malthumb,I just down loaded the app and I think this will work for me. Thanks!  :)

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »

One of my favorite apps.

Anybody know of anything like this for Android OS based tablets?
Pages: [1]   Go Up