LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man?  (Read 12273 times)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man?
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »
My cousin thought I needed to read this book, so she bought it for me.

I have yet to read it, since with school, I have no time to read anything that isn't a textbook (which is why I have that book on Grace RJ recommended still sitting on my bookshelf untouched, along with plenty of other brand new books... I keep ordering them, but I'm not reading them. :-[)... but anyway...

I haven't read the book, so this thread isn't about the book itself. But with the movie coming out this weekend, I'm just curious to know if I'm the only person who thinks it's weird to advise a LADY to think "like" a man. What's your take on that? Does it go against any spiritual principles or perhaps the law of nature? Or maybe it's not that deep at all... maybe it's just common sense to try to think like the person you're working with so you can achieve better success? Is that a part of getting to know a person better, or is that a bad idea?
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
I listen to the Steve Harvey Morning Show every morning. I remember when the book first came out and they were promoting it. The twist, from what I understand, isn't literal. Not trying to advise women to actually think as if they are a man, that's just the pull (and you've got to admit, it's a good one. A title such as "Act like a Lady, Think Like a Man" will definitely catch your eye.") He said the book is actually showing women how men think when it comes to relationships, so they'll know why we do certain things, how they should respond, etc. Basically putting it all in perspective.

As I said, I haven't read the book. Don't plan on it, obviously. And I think it's dangerous to dump all men into one category. I don't know if he's doing that, but I hope not. Nonetheless, it's been at the top of the Bestsellers list for an insane amount of weeks, especially for a first-time black author. Somebody must like it.

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
I listen to the Steve Harvey Morning Show every morning. I remember when the book first came out and they were promoting it. The twist, from what I understand, isn't literal. Not trying to advise women to actually think as if they are a man, that's just the pull (and you've got to admit, it's a good one. A title such as "Act like a Lady, Think Like a Man" will definitely catch your eye.") He said the book is actually showing women how men think when it comes to relationships, so they'll know why we do certain things, how they should respond, etc. Basically putting it all in perspective.

As I said, I haven't read the book. Don't plan on it, obviously. And I think it's dangerous to dump all men into one category. I don't know if he's doing that, but I hope not. Nonetheless, it's been at the top of the Bestsellers list for an insane amount of weeks, especially for a first-time black author. Somebody must like it.

True.  Got decent reviews on Amazon as well.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »

@ the bold, great point. 
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »
I heard someone say, "when you take relationship advice from a comedian, don't be surprised when you relationship becomes a joke" :D

I too havent read the the book and don't plan on reading it. I did skim through it real quick, and it's obviously pandering women and telling them what they want to hear. There might be some good stuff in there, idk...

One thing that was off base, was his 90 rule. He claimed that having such a rule where you wait 90 days before you give a man sex, will make him respect you. That is total crap.
1, men will wait 9 months or more to get some sex from you and still dog you out.
2, playing games like that makes you look immature.
3, why should the women have all the power when it comes to things like this.  lol

Needless to say, he's not writing this book from a Christian standpoint.

And yes, you can not dump all men into one group. I hope that he broke down the different types of men and how to approach each type.

And how many divorces did he have?

As for the movie, I saw the trailer while I was seeing red tails, and I was excited about the movie until I heard the title. I'll see it anyways though... at least it does not look like we will be portrayed as maids, mentally challenged or other stereotypes.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »
Yeah, I flipped through it a few years ago at a guy friend's house. Actually (@Teej) it was Warren. LOL.

Anyway, it definitely seems to lump all men together, if only because he generalizes a lot... but I don't remember having the impression that it was done in a man-bashing kinda way. I think it was a lot of "if a man says xyz, what he really means is abc..." and I'm sure he included the caveat that he wasn't referring to ALL men (well I'm not SURE, but I'd be willing to bet he did).

But yeah, it does have a catchy title. Maybe I'll crack it open on a beach trip.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
Needless to say, he's not writing this book from a Christian standpoint.

Yea, well...no surprise there.   :D
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:59:23 PM »

I heard the movie was good. I might check it out next week

Yea, well...no surprise there.   :D

Well as much as he's on TBN crying,  and on BET hosting Gospel programs, I sure that there are a few people who might have assumed he was writing from such a standpoint.

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:45:12 AM »
Well as much as he's on TBN crying,  and on BET hosting Gospel programs, I sure that there are a few people who might have assumed he was writing from such a standpoint.

Oh, there's no doubt.  Those who watch a lot of TBN and gospel programming but don't look any further than that would assume he is a saved man who speaks from the christian perspective.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:53 AM »
Saw the movie yesterday. Had some funny moments, but a typical rom-com, a bit like a Tyler Perry movie. Good for a matinee/rental - I enjoyed it.
The book was deeper, giving insights into how many men think, which might be helpful to the ladies.
Of course, I take relationship advice from a divorced man with a grain of salt...
;)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:16:26 AM »
The book was deeper, giving insights into how many men think, which might be helpful to the ladies.
Of course, I take relationship advice from a divorced man with a grain of salt...
;)

Or someone who's main goal is telling certain people what they want to hear and making a bunch of money doing it.

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 01:18:49 AM »
I haven't read the book, so this thread isn't about the book itself. But with the movie coming out this weekend, I'm just curious to know if I'm the only person who thinks it's weird to advise a LADY to think "like" a man. What's your take on that? Does it go against any spiritual principles or perhaps the law of nature? Or maybe it's not that deep at all... maybe it's just common sense to try to think like the person you're working with so you can achieve better success? Is that a part of getting to know a person better, or is that a bad idea?

I haven't read the book either, but I assume you may be able to gain something from it; however I'm kind of on the same page with what U13 heard from someone when it comes to comedians

"when you take relationship advice from a comedian, don't be surprised when you relationship becomes a joke" :D...lol

Anyway, I thought he was divorced more than once....

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »
Somebody just said that the naming  of the book and movie was a genius move, because women today literally want to think like a man.

hmm...

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »
Well, I can see that being true... you've got your lesbian studs, you've got your single mothers, your "independent women-don't need no man" chicks, your game playing women, and your bruised, broken and battered women who are willing to try anything... so, yeah... I'm sure there's a great deal of women who really want to think like a man.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
aww man this ain't about the book but the movie had me crying laughing

it has been too long since i went to the movies with my wife. We did it on the spur of the moment was just driving home from church and she glanced around the car (a hint that she is bored i finally started to pick up on) and I said lets go to the movies. Dropped the kid off with his aunt and went to the movies only to find out we were 2 hours early

then we called a different theather that wasn't too far they had the movie starting in ten minutes! We did that whole trying to run with out running to the car LOL! Needless to say we didn't make it so we just went back to the first theater and stopped at  a book store till the movie started.

Had a great time laughing at Kevin Hart! That dude is stupid. (in a funny sort of way)

Got a little sad seeing Gabrielle Union with someone else ... but I've been married for a while so it was bound to happen she shouldn't have to wait for decades hoping I out live my wife ;) LOL

anyway like betnich good movie for a rental

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 12:46:50 AM »
I gotta catch it before it leaves theatres

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »
I gotta catch it before it leaves theatres

Same here.

Offline JustBritt

• LGM Member
  • *Sigh*

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »
I saw it, it's a pretty good movie. I personally didn't think it was all that funny. But uhh... it was good though. And the cursing wasn't that bad either.
~Moving Forward~

Offline raegenius

• LGM Member
  • just a pose

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 02:10:16 PM »
I saw it, it's a pretty good movie. I personally didn't think it was all that funny. But uhh... it was good though. And the cursing wasn't that bad either.

So it has cursing.  What a spoiler.  :-\
Just listen!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »
I just saw the movie and thought it was pretty good. Would watch again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up