LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass lessons for newbies.  (Read 72255 times)

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Bass lessons for newbies?
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2012, 09:09:51 AM »
At work right now 3 hours to go then I'm on vacation, I'll be in the shed all week.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »
At work right now 3 hours to go then I'm on vacation, I'll be in the shed all week.
I'll fill your shed with some bass tools and when you come out the shed you'll be a more knowledgeable bass player! :D
"Each One Teach One"

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »
O.K. let's do this, that is what I'm aiming for.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2012, 08:51:19 PM »
Now we're going to work on filling in the space in between the progressions. We can do this by adding the 5th and the 8th (octave), chromatic approach from above or below along with: articulation, tone, rhythm, groove etc.. this is the simplest way to fill in the space.

Our progression for this lesson is: 1-5-6-4-3-2-5.  when we play the"1 lets add the 5th & the 8th or the 8th & the 5th with articulation before we play the "5"now lets add the 5th & the 8th or the 8th & the 5th before we play the "6" now lets add the 5th & the 8th or the 8th & the 5th. now play the "4"add the 8th   play the "3" add the 8th and play the "2' add the 8th, 5

We can also play the "1" then add 4 #4 before we hit our target number the 5 then play #5 before we hit our target number the 6, then play 4 add the 8th, 3 add the 8th, 2 add the 8th, 5. This is the chromatic approach from above we can also play the chromatic from below, walking down to our target number. Don't forget o add articulation, tone rhythm, groove etc...

Play the progression in the key of Emj for this lesson. Play the 5th & 8th or 8th &5th add the chromatic approach before you hit your target note (number) I want you guys to work on this before I post the video. First play the progression without the added numbers (notes) in one hand position  starting at 50 bpm and work your way up to 120 bpm. Then play the progression without the added numbers this time with the low 1- 5-6-4-3-2-5. At 50 bpm and work your up to 120 bpm. Then add the extra numbers in the space between the progression and play it in the LOW REGISTER ! :D 
"Each One Teach One"

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2012, 04:59:22 PM »
Excited to practice!

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
kingjames59 I know what you mean I'm excited to practice as well.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2012, 06:24:42 PM »
Okay guys lets do this, before you pick up your bass to play the progressions get in to the habit of singing the progressions first. Then pick up your bass and play the progressions, if what you were singing sound like what you are playing you should fell like this  ;D  ;D  if not you may fell like this  :'( ... but don't worry keep singing the progressions (numbers) and you will start to feel like  ;D ;D  in no time! This is part of our ear training routine.
"Each One Teach One"

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2012, 06:55:07 PM »
I'm also excited to practice this is stuff I that i can see and hear the results right away 

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »
Okay guys lets do this, before you pick up your bass to play the progression get in to the habit of singing the progression first. Then pick up your bass and play the progression, if what you were singing sound like what you are playing you should fell like this  ;D  ;D  if not you may fell like this  :'( ... but don't worry keep singing the progressions (numbers) and you will start to feel like  ;D ;D  in no time! This is part of our ear training routine.
Starting to feel like  ;D ;D LOL!!

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »
Bass4God, berbie, 5deep, Gruvn-low, Kingjamas,59, Wesley, Gemini47 I want you guys to have this progression as well as filling in the space in between the progressions done before we move on. If any of you are having problems or have a question let me know.

PS: Have this completed by Thursday! and let me know when your done.
"Each One Teach One"

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2012, 03:06:55 PM »
Hey arthur59 I do have a question. I have the progression but as far as the fill ins go do we use the 5th & the 8th to fill in between each progression or just play around with it until we just get comfortable using these fill ins. If this makes any sense this the best way I could communicate what I'm trying to ask.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
Hey Bass4God, play the fill ins in between each of the progressions, use the 8th & 5th in different order you can play the 5th then go back to the 1 you can play the 8th 5th and1 play it in different rhythms, add ghost notes, slides, hammer ons, pull offs, slap, pop, bend the strings any one of these tools (articulate) have fun and groove with it.

This is preparing you for the next assignment! remember guys "Each one Teach One" in Jesus name! if you understand the lessons and your Bro/Sis don't jump in and help. :)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:21 PM »
I'll be in the shed, thanks.

Offline Gemini47

• LGM Member

Re: Bass lessons for newbies.
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »
I am working on it.
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.  - Plato -

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
Keep working on it Bass4God & Gemini47, and remember to sing the numbers and play the progression at different  tempos and different rhythms. The next assignment will be a TEST! :o  to see if you understand this stuff  ;D.

I've been invited to play at a three night revival this week so I probably wont post the test until Saturday!     
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »
Keep working on it Bass4God & Gemini47, and remember to sing the numbers and play the progression at different  tempos and different rhythms. The next assignment will be a TEST! :o  to see if you understand this stuff  ;D.

I've been invited to play at a three night revival this week so I probably wont post the test until Saturday!   
The keyboard player who invited me to come and play at his church for the revival  sent me three songs that his choir is going to sing. Two of the songs I never heard before, I started working on one, this is how it went. I played the song one time through so I can hear the flow of the song. then I played it again,stopping, rewinding, playing, this time listening to the progression ( numbers) and singing the numbers. Then I pick up my bass and started playing the progression (numbers) that I was singing ... let me say this, I learned 3/4 of the song before I picked up my bass! so you know I felt like  ;D. Hey guys this number thing really work!     
"Each One Teach One"

gruvn_low

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2012, 11:23:06 PM »
This lesson is great, although wife is not liking the late night practice times.

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2012, 05:16:05 AM »
gruvn_low, sound like you need some headphones for late late night practicing. 

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
I had to take a half day today to shed. Lol

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »
Just got in from practice and it was great!
"Each One Teach One"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up