LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass lessons for newbies.  (Read 72374 times)

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Bass lessons for newbies.
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2012, 12:57:35 AM »
Ditto on the headphones. My wife is working nights at the moment and I'm on vacation. You'll find me in the shed.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »
AMEN!!! Keep going Guys!!! I can't wait to start hearing you guys when you post videos!

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »
For this first test you have to take the progression from the previous lesson and come up with your own bass lines then apply it to this song. I'm not going to play the bass or call out the numbers to you. I'm trying to put you guys in real playing situation that bass players go through when playing for a church. These are thing you don't learn from a "how to play bass for beginners book" this is real talk.  Not all keyboard/ organ players are going to be willing to help you learn the songs, and For that reason as a bass player you MUST be able to hear the progression (numbers)  for yourself and then add your bass line to it. First listen to the numbers then play just the root notes then add your fill ins. let me know how it turnout.  Oh and there's one number you don't here in this song out of the previous progressions (numbers) that I gave you...what number is it? ?/?       
MOV47F
"Each One Teach One"

Offline allaround

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2012, 08:10:30 PM »
Hey guys! I was wondering if you can give me a list of things for a beginner on the bass. My cousin is looking to play bass and has no idea where to start. So a list of things would help from experienced bass players.

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »
Hey guys! I was wondering if you can give me a list of things for a beginner on the bass. My cousin is looking to play bass and has no idea where to start. So a list of things would help from experienced bass players.
Hey allaround, maybe your cousin can start out by becoming a member of LGM, this way he can start asking questing for himself . 

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2012, 10:11:47 PM »
For this first test you have to take the progression from the previous lesson and come up with your own bass lines then apply it to this song. I'm not going to play the bass or call out the numbers to you. I'm trying to put you guys in real playing situation that bass players go through when playing for a church. These are thing you don't learn from a "how to play bass for beginners book" this is real talk.  Not all keyboard/ organ players are going to be willing to help you learn the songs, and For that reason as a bass player you MUST be able to hear the progression (numbers)  for yourself and then add your bass line to it. First listen to the numbers then play just the root notes then add your fill ins. let me know how it turnout.  Oh and there's one number you don't here in this song out of the previous progressions (numbers) that I gave you...what number is it? ?/?       
MOV47F
Iv'e worked on it and i got it. If I had a video camera i would record it and post it but i dont have one. And i think the number that you dont hear is the 5. I can here when it go from the 2 then to the 1 but it sound like after the 2 it should be the 5 then the 1... am i right?

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2012, 10:41:17 PM »
I  didn't hear the 2,3.

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2012, 01:35:23 AM »
I've got the 1-5-6-4-3-2-5 but I don't get the missing number. The fill-ins work good especially the chromatic walks for this tempo type song. Well at least it works for me.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2012, 06:30:54 AM »
I've got the 1-5-6-4-3-2-5 but I don't get the missing number. The fill-ins work good especially the chromatic walks for this tempo type song. Well at least it works for me.
  listen to it again, don't play your bass just sing the numbers along with the song.   
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2012, 06:35:50 AM »
I  didn't hear the 2,3.
Listen, sing the numbers,listen, listen, listen and sing the numbers (progressions) ;D
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2012, 06:41:21 AM »
Iv'e worked on it and i got it. If I had a video camera i would record it and post it but i dont have one. And i think the number that you dont hear is the 5. I can here when it go from the 2 then to the 1 but it sound like after the 2 it should be the 5 then the 1... am i right?
Do you think your right?  Play it again and listen to and sing the numbers then you tell me are you right.  :-X
"Each One Teach One"

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2012, 10:11:25 AM »

At the top of the Bass Forum there is a thread that has been stickied.  Here is the link to that thread.....   http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,43355.0.html

Have your cousin START his or her LGM experience with that thread.  It identifies the various parts of the instrument and identifies the notes on the fingerboard and gets into base level discussion of keys and chords.

Then have him start Arthur59's "Bass lessons for newbies" from....the....BEGINNING.  If your cousin does that, he or she will be groovin' solidly in no time.

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »
  The chromatic approach, walking up to or down to your target note (number) is just one tool to add to your bag of goodies experiment with the 5th and 8th (octave) as well  and don't for get about "ARTICULATION" articulation is like adding spices to your meat to give it flavor, the meat can be prepared well but without the spices the meat tast...plane.  Also don't for get to "GROOVE", the groove is something you feel, you have to know what your doing and feel it, and the people around you have to feel it as well and when that happen... then your groovin!  Let's add all these tools to our bags of goodies...hope you guys have a big tool bag because your going to need it with all the tools i'm going to give you.  :o       
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »
FYI even though were learning to play by "numbers" it's very important that we learn our note names and be able to find it fast on our fret board.  I played with a keyboard player last night who was calling out note names instead of numbers. As gospel bass players we must be able to play by numbers and notes. 

My goal is to prepare you for every situation that you may face as a "church bass player"  ;) 

"Each One Teach One"

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
I am trying to stop laughing.  A keyboard player that wants me to "catch" a song makes me nervous.  If he/she walked off like you did I would walk off with them....lol

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2012, 09:09:34 PM »
I am trying to stop laughing.  A keyboard player that wants me to "catch" a song makes me nervous.  If he/she walked off like you did I would walk off with them....lol
Arthur59 got jokes! I like the part about left hand willy LOL!!! But you know he's telling us and showing the truth. 

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2012, 09:28:44 PM »
Do you think your right?  Play it again and listen to and sing the numbers then you tell me are you right.  :-X
yes I think i'm right!

Offline Gemini47

• LGM Member

« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »
Hey Arthur for the progression i know it's the 1-5-6-4 then back to the one. Sometimes from the 1 to the 5 i used the 2 as a fill. And to get from the 6 to the 4 i used the 1 as a fill. And sometimes returning to the 1 from the 4 i used the 5 as a fill. Am i going in the right direction?
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.  - Plato -

Offline Gemini47

• LGM Member

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2012, 02:18:06 AM »
After reviewing the song i was able to hear the progression 1-5-6-4-1. I could also hear from the 6 it moves to the 2 where there is a chromatic walk from the 2-3 to the 4 and walked back from the 4-3-2 to the 1.
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.  - Plato -

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »
Hey Arthur for the progression i know it's the 1-5-6-4 then back to the one. Sometimes from the 1 to the 5 i used the 2 as a fill. And to get from the 6 to the 4 i used the 1 as a fill. And sometimes returning to the 1 from the 4 i used the 5 as a fill. Am i going in the right direction?
"1-5-6-4 then back to the one" ?/? ?/? go back and" LISTEN" again! LISTEN, LISTEN , LISTEN!! I gave you the answer in the previous lesson you just have to listen to the song and play the "NUMBERS" with the right tempo to the song...  THE NEXT TEST IS GOING TO BE HARDER THEN THIS! :o   

Ps: you almost got it  :'(
"Each One Teach One"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Up