LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass lessons for newbies.  (Read 72272 times)

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Bass lessons for newbies.
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2012, 10:00:14 PM »
Arthur i have to honest.  This is my first ear training lesson. I tried but unfortunately i could not do this without using my bass. I am probably not on point but i think it is: 1-7-6 8-7-5 3-4-5 4-5-1.  I will continue to work on this. I am going to start humming and singing the numbers throughout my day.
Don't worry your not the only one having problems hearing the numbers were going to back up and take it slow, I know what you need!! ;) ... I'm not going to rush through this, I want to make sure you guys have this before we move on.
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2012, 10:02:57 PM »
After listening closer,  1-6-4-5-6,4-5-1+ passing notes
  :D :D
"Each One Teach One"

Offline Gemini47

• LGM Member

« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »
Thanks for understanding. I am determined to get this. Thanks.
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.  - Plato -

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2012, 10:40:14 PM »
Yeah I agree this ear training is a journey I have never really walked into. I'm just used to listening to a song over and over and over and over, well you get my point until I think I've come up with a decent bass line or  progression. Only now I see how much I really have to learn. I've got a long road ahead of me, but hey I'm in for the long haul.

Offline Gemini47

• LGM Member

« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2012, 11:50:29 PM »
Yeah I agree this ear training is a journey I have never really walked into. I'm just used to listening to a song over and over and over and over, well you get my point until I think I've come up with a decent bass line or  progression. Only now I see how much I really have to learn. I've got a long road ahead of me, but hey I'm in for the long haul.
Like my brother Bass4God i am in this for the long haul. 
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.  - Plato -

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2012, 07:29:42 AM »
Hey guys there are two ways we listen to music: "passive listening"- hearing - without hearing and "Active listing"- listing for details. From this point on every time you listen to music make it "ACTIVE LISTING" lets listen for details of the song, is the song going from the "1" to the "4" or from the "1" to the "6" do you hear the "2-5-1 progression or the '4-5-1 progression etc... playing by ear is a skill just  like reading music is a skill. Don't think just because you play by ear there's no work behind it. You have to know what to listen for and how to listen. There's musicians who learned the skill of reading music but can't play by ear because they didn't learn how to. And there's musicians who learned the skill of playing by ear but never learned how to read music. The point is learning to play by ear is a skill and we have to know how to develop it.     

Some of you are still having problems hearing the numbers (progressions) so from this point on we're going to K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid)  and approach this from a different angle. We'll work with smaller units first then go on to bigger and more challenging ones. THERE'S NO RUSH! step by step, we'll take this journey.  "EACH ONE TEACH ONE", IN JESUS NAME  :)   
"Each One Teach One"

gruvn_low

« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »
Feel flat on this lesson, even when i had a progression down, I talked myself out of it. I will not let slow to catch on lead to stop trying. again thank-you for these great lessons.

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »
Hey arthur59 I'm committed to this I want to take my playing to the next level so pull out the tools so I can get into the shed. I do want to be a more knowledgeable player.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »
Feel flat on this lesson, even when i had a progression down, I talked myself out of it. I will not let slow to catch on lead to stop trying. again thank-you for these great lessons.
Don't worry about being slow to catch on, if you don't understand the lessons let me know I'm sure I can break it down to make it more comprehensive... Just don't give up! :)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »
These lessons are very helpful. Thanks so much for posting them.  Personally, I look forward to every one, and from the responses that I have seen, many do and are indeed beeing helped by them.

gruvn_low

« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2012, 07:10:06 PM »
Don't worry about being slow to catch on, if you don't understand the lessons let me know I'm sure I can break it down to make it more comprehensive... Just don't give up! :)

No give up here, i knew this was my biggest weakness.  Will be putting in OT in the woodshed

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2012, 12:09:41 AM »
I'm loving the lessons bro!!keep it uo=p

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2012, 07:20:45 AM »
I'm loving the lessons bro!!keep it uo=p
Keep it up  :-[

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2012, 03:38:46 PM »
I committed two hours a day to work On the lesson one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening seems to work well for me. everything I listen to now I find myself listening for the numbers then I pick up my bass and play it to see if I'm right!

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2012, 06:21:43 PM »
I need someone to check me! I'm in my car heading home with my family I'm about 3 hrs away from home. A song came on the radio, put it on the altar by Jessica Reedy I never played this song before so I'm sitting here playing the song in my head and singing the numbers (progression) and what I hear is: 1-3-6    2-5-1 can someone check me and see if I'm right.  ::)
"Each One Teach One"

gruvn_low

« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »
I need someone to check me! I'm in my car heading home with my family I'm about 3 hrs away from home. A song came on the radio, put it on the altar by Jessica Reedy I never played this song before so I'm sitting here playing the song in my head and singing the numbers (progression) and what I hear is: 1-3-6    2-5-1 can someone check me and see if I'm right.  ::)

after listening to it on youtube here at work, that is what I hear and it makes sense but being right is a whole other thing ;D

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »
1-3-6-3-2-5-1

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »
1-3-6-3-2-5-1
AW MAN BERBIE I MISSED THE 3!! :'(  I'M GOING TO LISTEN TO IT WHEN I GET HOME  :'(
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »
after listening to it on youtube here at work, that is what I hear and it makes sense but being right is a whole other thing ;D
Thanks gruvn_low this is what we have to start doing, listen to the song QNE TIME and try to catch the numbers (progression), even if you don't catch the whole thing. If the few numbers that you catch are right and you start playing it on your bass a lot of times - the number that you didn't catch - you will hear it when you start playing.  You can also make an educated guess. most of the time the 3- would lead to a 6, the 6 would lead to the 2.The 2 would go to the 5. The 5 would lead to the 1 
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
Here's a few common progression that you will hear in gospel music: 1 3 6 2 5 1.     1 7 6 2 5 1.    1 2 3 4 5 1.      1 4 5 1.   1 4 5 6 4 5 1.  1 4 5 6 4 5 1.      1 4 5 2 5 1.  1 7 3 6 2 5 1. These are just a few!
"Each One Teach One"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Up