LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass lessons for newbies.  (Read 72293 times)

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Bass lessons for newbies.
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2012, 12:12:30 AM »
Hey, I had my stereo and my guitar.

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
AW MAN BERBIE I MISSED THE 3!!!! :'(  I'M GOING TO LISTEN TO IT WHEN I GET HOME  :'(
I listened to it to day  and i also hear the 1 3 6 3 2 5 1. I cheated, i used my bass Lol!!

Offline Gemini47

• LGM Member

« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2012, 10:23:37 PM »
I listened to it to day  and i also hear the 1 3 6 3 2 5 1. I cheated, i used my bass LOL!!
Sugerbear i ain't mad at you. I would have done the same... LOL... I am still working on it.
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.  - Plato -

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
I hope I am not making the process to difficult for myself, but I am trying to recognize the progressions going up the scale and down the scale which have their own unique characteristics.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »
Now we're going to focus on some of the most common progressions in gospel music.  We are going to break them up into three notes per group and each group will start with the same root note. So that we are all on the same page lets begin with the Db major scale, so Db will be the root note (the "1")

For this lesson we're going to work with two groups. Group one is: 1-7-6 and group two is: 1-4-5. I want you to play group one for a minimum of 10 minutes a day.  Don't just play it but listen to the group of notes as a whole. Come up with your own rhythm, feel, tempo etc...

Then work on group two for a minimum of 10 minutes a day.  Don't just play it but listen to it as a whole and come up with your own rhythm, feel, tempo etc..

Remember  we are not going to rush this, ear training takes time to master and we are going to master it one step at a time. In a few days I'm going to post some songs with the : 1-7-6  and the 1-4-5 progression and" YOU WILL BE ABLE TO HEAR THE PROGRESSIONS LOUD AND CLEAR"...only if you put in the work. >:(  ;D 

PS: on the 1-7-6 progression I want you to play the low 7 and 6.
"Each One Teach One"

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2012, 10:11:18 PM »
Thanks for breaking it down like that, I'm on my way to pick up Big Mamma, oh sorry I mean my bass right now. Yeah that's what I named her.

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2012, 07:41:31 AM »
1-7-6 and 1-4-5. bite size pieces that we can chew on and digest. Cool!!

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2012, 08:56:31 AM »
I also want you guys to spend a minimum of 10 min a day working on listing to the sound of  the major interval shapes. Don't just play the major scale but listen to the sound of each interval in relation to the root note ( the "1") lets stay in the key of "Db major"

Play the 1 then play the 2 (major 2nd) listen to that sound what does that sound remind you of associate that sound with a color any color you like. Then play the "1" and the 3 (major 3rd) listen to that sound, what does that sound remind you of. Associate that sound with a color. Then play the "1" and the "4" ( perfect 4th )   what does that sound remind you of, associate that sound with a color. Then play the "1" and the 5 ( perfect 5th ) associate that sound with a color. then play the "1" and the 6 (major 6th ) add a color to it what does that sound remind you of. Then play the "1 and the "7" ( major 7th )...... then play the "1" and the "8" ( perfect unison )

Don't rush this pay attention to the details of the sound of each interval and compare the sound with each other. Compare the 1 and the 2 with the 1 and the 3. compare the 1 and the 3 with the 1 and the 6 etc...

"Each One Teach One"

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
WOW!! I've been listing to the radio all day at work and I've been hearing  the 1-7-6 and the 1-4-5 progression in a lot of songs. It's amazing what you hear when you know what to listen for.

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »
Yes YES...this is what I need!

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »
POP QUIZ!  ;D put away your bass and open your ears. Y'all been working on two sets of progressions for 10 minutes a day for a few days. Now I want you to tell me which song has what progressions  ?/?  yo'll hear other progressions and passing notes ( fill ins) in the songs but I want you to concentrate and LISTEN for the progression that you worked on. The songs are not in the same key that you been practicing in (Db) and it really doesn't matter, just listen for the progression... sing the numbers!! then Post your answers.  :-X

MOV49B

MOV49C
"Each One Teach One"

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #151 on: September 01, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
I'm at work, but I'll be on it as soon as I get home.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
NO BASS ALLOWED!! PUT YOUR BASS BACK ON THE STAND!!   JUST LISTEN AND TELL ME WHAT YOU HEAR!  ::) ::)
MOV49D
"Each One Teach One"

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2012, 01:58:31 PM »
O.K. been home for a few minutes and have not picked up my bass. The song by John P. Kee I hear the 1-4-5, The song We're Blessed in the City I here the 1-7-6. O.K. how did I do?

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2012, 02:28:03 PM »
WHAT DO YOU HEAR? ::)
MOV49F
"Each One Teach One"

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »
Okay Mr 59!

you think your slick, I got you!! LoL!! I just want to listen to these songs a few more times before i post my answers.

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
Alright can we go with the 1-7-6 on the third song, now how did I do?

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2012, 03:48:20 PM »
Alright can we go with the 1-7-6 on the third song, now how did I do?
I just sent you a P.M  :)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
In contemporary gospel music you'll hear a lot of "FAT CHORDS AND PASSING NOTES".  A keyboard/organ player can take a 1-7-6 chord progression and add some fat chords to it. But if you listen carefully, in between those "fat chords" you can still hear the 1-7-6 progression.

When your learning a song for the first time you want to listen for the "root notes in the progressions" before you start adding: colors, fill ins, passing notes, arpeggios etc...   
"Each One Teach One"

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2012, 06:50:38 PM »
POP QUIZ!  ;D put away your bass and open your ears. Y'all been working on two sets of progressions for 10 minutes a day for a few days. Now I want you to tell me which song has what progressions  ?/?  yo'll hear other progressions and passing notes ( fill ins) in the songs but I want you to concentrate and LISTEN for the progression that you worked on. The songs are not in the same key that you been practicing in (Db) and it really doesn't matter, just listen for the progression... sing the numbers!! then Post your answers.  :-X

MOV49B
MOV49C
the first one kind of through me off a bit but after listing to the details I can hear the 1-7-6 and on the second song I can definitely hear the 1-7-6 progressions. It helps when you know what to listen for. Now on to the other two. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Up