LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass lessons for newbies.  (Read 72253 times)

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Bass lessons for newbies.
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
arthur59 where you at man I need you.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »
arthur59 where you at man I need you.
I'M here!
"Each One Teach One"

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2012, 04:10:16 PM »
I didn't answer the question fully.  Back to the drawing board. I know that if you are going to the four, you use a 2-5-1 of the four, but I didn't hear that.  I will listen for it.

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2012, 04:23:50 PM »
I keep hearing the 1-3-6 so why am I not hear what some of the others are hearing. I just don't hear the other progressions at all. This going to be tougher than I thought. O.K. pride is out the window I need help.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »
Guys, after you post your answers go head and pick up your bass and play along with the song. Take your time and listen as you play along. Be one step behind the song as you play along so you can hear what's going on in the song.
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »
I keep hearing the 1-3-6 so why am I not hear what some of the others are hearing. I just don't hear the other progressions at all. This going to be tougher than I thought. O.K. pride is out the window I need help.
First make sure your bass is tuned. Now just listen to piano part during the verse of the song. listen to that part over and over again. Now pick up your bass and play along with the piano part staying one step behind the piano part. Play what you think it is and see if that sound matches what you hear the piano player is doing.... WAIT A MINUTE!! PICK UP YOUR BASS AND PLAY THE 1-3-6 THEN TELL ME WHAT NOTES YOUR PLAYING!  ::)   
"Each One Teach One"

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »
Guys, after you post your answers go head and pick up your bass and play along with the song. Take your time and listen as you play along. Be one step behind the song as you play along so you can hear what's going on in the song.
What key are you in?

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »
The song starts in Bb the notes are Bb-D-G then it goes to the key of Db and the notes are Db-F-Bb.

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »
The two sets of of progressions would be the 1-3-6 and the 1-7-6 I hope I got it this time.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »
Best I can hear is a 1-7-6 in Bb and up a mnor third to a 1-7-6 in Dd.  Back and forth with the extra 6-7s+ thrown in.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2012, 05:58:59 AM »
Best I can hear is a 1-7-6 in Bb and up a mnor third to a 1-7-6 in Dd.  Back and forth with the extra 6-7s+ thrown in.
The 1-7-6 is correct, there's another set of numbers that we worked on that your missing, forget about the 6-7s + that you hear what's the other set of numbers that you hear  ?/? go back and LISTEN. ::)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2012, 06:11:14 AM »
The two sets of of progressions would be the 1-3-6 and the 1-7-6 I hope I got it this time.
Keep working on your interval shapes and listen to the sound of the: 1 to the 3 and the 1 to the 6(high 6 and low 6) and the 1 to the 4 and the 1 to the 5 and the 1 to the 7 ( high 7 and low 7) and the 1 to the 8 and the 1 to the 2.  take your time and listen to the shapes, listen,LISTEN, LISTEN, YOU WILL START TO HEAR IT!  :o ...YES YOU WILL!
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2012, 08:07:16 AM »
Hey guys, I'm going to take a walk over to the other room here in the LGM building and see if I can get a" PROFESSIONAL" to stop by and shed some more light on this ear training issue...STAY TUNED, I'll BE BACK, WITH THE PRO!   :) 
"Each One Teach One"

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »
We think you're a professional, Arthur59.

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
We think you're a professional, Arthur59.
Most of what i learned about the number system, adding color to a simple bass line and "how to listen for the numbers in a chord progressions I learned from you.

Thank you!
Mr59, the pro! 

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »
Hey guys, I'm going to take a walk over to the other room here in the LGM building and see if I can get a" PROFESSIONAL" to stop by and shed some more light on this ear training issue...STAY TUNED, I'll BE BACK, WITH THE PRO!   :) 
I put my request in, just waiting for a response... ::) 
"Each One Teach One"

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »
Arthur59, I know for sure that you have at lease 5 more bass players who's following your lessons . They just don't want to post anything but you are helping more people " newbies bass player" then you know, and your explaining the lessons very well.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »
I put my request in, just waiting for a response... ::)
Okay he didn't get back with me :(...we'll move on! :)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »
POP QUIZ!!  >:(, ;D just two questions. This song has two sets of progressions that we're working on. Question #1 listen closely and name the progressions. DON'T USE YOUR BASS, USE YOUR EARS! The song has two parts to it, the verse and the chorus they both have the same progressions they just change keys. Question #2 what's the interval shape of the key change? where does it go, to the 4,5,b5 etc... sing the intervals and tell me what's the number it goes to.

Listen closely to the piano in the verse, you can hear the progressions ( numbers) very clearly... That's the whole song, you should be able to play this whole song in your head by numbers before you pickup your bass.

When learning a song you want to listen to the keyboard/organ/piano player for your progressions and listen to the drummer for the groove. ;) !

PS: POST YOUR ANSWERS BETWEEN NOW AND  09/12/12     
MOV4A0
The answer is 1-7-6 and 2-5-1 in the key of Bb, then it change keys. The interval shape of the key change is a flat 3rd ( minor 3rd ) Db! then its 1-7-6 and 2-5-1...in Db!
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
When transcribing songs for ear training don't chose difficult material. Begin with simple songs and develop from there. Traditional gospel music is a good place to start, you can hear the progressions very clearly. With contemporary gospel the progressions are there but it's a little harder to hear because of all the different chord tones that's being used.  ;)   

Thank all you guys for the feedback on the lessons, those that post and those that send me a pm ( about 10 others) glad to know that these lessons are helping you.  :)
"Each One Teach One"
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Up