LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can not tell the difference  (Read 575 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

I can not tell the difference
« on: July 30, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »
I will need gtrdave on this one my question is. I can not tell the difference in my playing when using chromatic licks. Like I know there's got to be a difference when you start on a note that outside the scale and a when you start that's inside the scale and then you little chromatic outside notes in there and is it okay to land on the an outside note like really I seen in guthrie govan video about how when you play the blues scale and you land on that blues note it hurts the listener ear. Is it like that when playing chromatics as I seen in the video about circus video I heard alot of chromatics in there and I loved it.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Re: I can not tell the difference
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
For example in this lick focuses on the main chord tones of A minor triad. The more important notes are being hammeron while the less important are being pulloff

E------------------
B-4-(5)--------------
G----7-6-(5)-4-(5)----
D--------------6--(7)-
A-------------------
E-------------------

The notes that are in parenthesis are the A minor triad

And the notes together it would be D D# E C C# B G# A and thats a total of eight notes all together

All together this is what I was aiming toward trying to get to sound like A minor when chromatic notes bump up against the chord tones

E------------4-5-
B---------4-5----
G-----4-5--------
D-6-7------------
A----------------
E----------------

The thing I find interesting is all the notes in this lick are half step apart from the chord tone. Just like chromatic scale is made up of half steps
Pages: [1]   Go Up