LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: The LGM CCM Song Thread  (Read 40987 times)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: The LGM CCM Song Thread
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 07:40:02 PM »
Not feelin' that music video -- designed by the same guy who did a Marilyn Manson video -- tho'...

The video isn't the greatest, but it's the song itself that has made a lasting impression on many young Christians who came to faith in Jesus during the 90's.  As for the video's producer - I've read a piece by someone who opposes CCM as being Satanic who blasted dcTalk on this point.  Hmmm......still a great song though.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 02:45:45 PM »
Here are a couple of old school jams that show how diverse the music was at the time. 

The W's - 'The Devil is Bad'

The W's - The Devil Is Bad

The O.C. Supertones - 'Little Man'

The O.C. Supertones - Little Man

Michael W. Smith - 'Love Me Good'

Michael W. Smith

Also; some of these older songs are not as overtly Christian compared to today where you have everybody and their mother coming out with another worship album - and often covering the same songs.  Perhaps this aspect of the current state of affairs of the Christian music industry further highlights how praise music has effectively replaced hymns as the de-facto standard of Christian worship.
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 03:35:17 PM »
funk! Was the Michael W Smith? Dang! :o

I think I like the old MWS. :)
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »
Are we still talking about CCM? :)

Offline Rshay

• LGM Member
  • Young female pianist* Blessed by God

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 04:48:02 PM »
Man, haven't heard The W's in forever. O.C. Supertones... I miss them. =( They should have stuck to ska.Nah, man. Nah. LOL. That hasn't changed at all. You need to check out everybody and their 2nd cousin instead, lol.

M. W. Smith looks like Lou Costello. Also, wow... the video puts a totally different perspective on that song than I've had all these years. Wow.

Maybe somebody should post something more modern "mainstream". Ain't nobody know 'bout this pre-03 music. But... until then... lol
ZoeGirl - I Believe (With Lyrics)
Five Iron Frenzy - Dandelions (HD)
I won't post it here, but Ska-Reggae-Rock-Jazz Fusion band "Earthsuit" were pretty cool with the music. I used to listen to "One Time" and "Whitehorse" all the time, lol.
The lady on the left end, she is the wife of one of guys in the group Katinas, I was telling ya'll about. *just figured I let ya'll  know..lol

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 06:01:43 PM »
One issue that has come up during the rise of CCM was that of racism and what impact it may or may not have had on the success of so-called "urban" artists.  There are some gospel artists who have had and continue to have a sort of universal appeal across the Christian music market place (artists such as Mandisa, Nicole C. Mullen and Ayesha Woods don't seem to have as mcuh "reverse" crossover success, but this is an unverified statement).  Cece Winans, Ron Kenoly, and to some extent Andre Crouch are a few that come to mind.  This issue has been addressed directly by dcTalk (E.R.A.C.E.)  and even Toby Mac himself has stated that he feels racism has kept many listeners from exploring hip-hop and R&B sounds.

Of course others feel that it's really just a matter of musical preferences or demographics.  I suppose they do have a point (and I mostly agree), but one has to wonder why secular hip-hop has been embraced by suburbia (i.e.; "white folks"), while the Christian music scene seems highly segregated - you know what they say about Sunday mornings in America.

Over the years, there have been efforts to try and bridge this gap with artists such as Anointed, Out of Eden, The Katinas, GRITS and Knowdaverbs.  There was even a collaborative compilation titled "Bridges" that had only one song that got some airplay on gospel stations ("There's a Place For Us" performed by Fred Hammond and Natalie Grant).  But it seems that these efforts have more or less fell by the wayside as the Church continues to be set in its ways.
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
I won't post it here, but Ska-Reggae-Rock-Jazz Fusion band "Earthsuit" were pretty cool with the music. I used to listen to "One Time" and "Whitehorse" all the time, lol.

Man, I LOVED Earthsuit!! They were a great fusion band, for sure.
fyi: they do live on (sort of) in a band called Mutemath, another of my favs.
Here's one of the older songs...
Mute Math - Typical - The Late Show

And something off their newest disc:
Mutemath - Allies [Official Music Video]

They can GROOVE!
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 07:45:30 AM »
Haha, this is my first time actually hearing the song all the way through. Talk abot "me centered" lyrics, lol.

And yet they're all based in Scripture...

And I have little care that a band drops the "Christian" label. Actually, it's a great way to market their music to a non-Christian audience who wouldn't otherwise hear the message in the lyrics.
Sadly, being a "Christian band" in this day and age means limited marketing, limited exposure and limited ability to go 'to the ends of the earth' with the Gospel simply because music business type people think you only belong in Christian bookstores, on Christian radio and only playing Christian events.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 07:59:56 AM »

And I have little care that a band drops the "Christian" label. Actually, it's a great way to market their music to a non-Christian audience who wouldn't otherwise hear the message in the lyrics.
Sadly, being a "Christian band" in this day and age means limited marketing, limited exposure and limited ability to go 'to the ends of the earth' with the Gospel simply because music business type people think you only belong in Christian bookstores, on Christian radio and only playing Christian events.

Isn't that, like, preaching to the choir?

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 08:15:01 AM »

Yeah, I saw it as more of a confession/profession.  I was diggin' it.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »

CCM is a niche market.  Although it is based on more or less current musical trend, it has a very narrow appeal.  Some have even suggested that we stop calling it CCM and just put it out there in the general music market. 

Isn't that, like, preaching to the choir?

....or taking water to the sea.
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 05:34:50 PM »
I guess I'm at a place where I don't need the Christian bands/musicians that I enjoy have to make every song a praise song that mentions Jesus specifically by name in a positive context.
Honestly, outside of music meant directly for worship, I really appreciate a variety of topics as long as the songs are not demoralizing or degrading in any fashion.
To me, this is what Mutemath does so well. They're a band of musicians who are Christian who perform good music. Not praise music...although every album seems to have some metaphorical praise song on it...but just good music.

Benjamin Gate was another great band. The lead singer is now married to Jeremy Camp and she regularly sings back-up vocals for him live.

Another great artist that I really dig is Sarah Macintosh. She's the former lead singer for Chasing Furies and the only one of the 2 sisters and 1 brother who has sort of stayed active in music:
SARAH MACINTOSH: "Current" - Live Performance

Offline Rshay

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
The Katinaaas!!

live@New Hope "Home" feat. The Katinas

Offline Rshay

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
the Katinas and Freeway Fifty - great collab of today's CCM.

I AM FREE // Capital Christian Center's Simply Worship with Katinas

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »
Perhaps the most underrated artist of our day - Ayiesha Woods!  Here she is with "Beauty"

Ayiesha Woods- Beauty
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
Dig her voice and songs.  :)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »
This one's a favorite at our house. 

Newsboys - God's Not Dead
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »
It's weird hearing "Newsboys" without an Aussie accent. lol. It just sounds like "Tait" now. Still cool, though.

It was a good move for Michael Tait, though.  Through their various incarnations, the Newsboys continue to draw fans$$$$
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 06:54:30 AM »
This one's a personal favorite.  Sanctus Real - "Lead Me"

Sanctus Real - Lead Me
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 07:05:20 AM »
This one's a favorite at our house. 

Newsboys - God's Not Dead

Ugh...that's my least favorite version of the song. The Crowder/Passion version is a lot more daring and dynamic.

Regarding Aussies in the band...the drummer is the only one left. And they don't even have a bass player. It's all synth or tracks bass.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up