LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teaching Choir Etiquette: Choir Director Interrupted by Musician/Others  (Read 6844 times)

Offline CRYCHI

• LGM Member
  • Child of God, striving to be more like Him

When teaching a song, isn't it rude to be interrupted in front of the choir?

Scenario:  Recently in rehearsal, as the choir director, I was teaching a song that I had studied quite extensively; listening to all of the parts from the CD, chording them/writing lyrics on music paper, checking for harmony, etc.     

While I was teaching the parts, the musician interrupted a few times making corrections to notes (right before I could address them) and took over.."Ok start from the top."  He didn't address any issues with me but spoke to the choir directly..."Tenors..here is your note", etc.   Mind you, I was about to correct the part when he interrupted.

From a business training background, I'm of the mindset that one "trainer" is in charge at a time,  During a training/teaching session, if there are corrections or changes to be made, it should be a private sidebar directly with the trainer, who will then address it with the group.  This helps to maintain the trainer's credibility in the eyesight of the trainees.   It's good to interject, but with tact as not to have the trainer lose face.

Back at church, in previous rehearsals, if this musician was teaching something incorrectly, I would address it with him privately, and very tactfully.   

What does the LGM Family think?
CryChi
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Teaching Choir Etiquette: Choir Director Interrupted by Musician/Others
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »
Yep, rudeness at its finest unfortunately.  You should meet with the musician about this.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »
IMO:

Musician: should phrase it as a tactful question to director, like: "What was that note, again? Should it be ___ or ___???" Leave it to director to address the choir. (note - this is very hard for musicians w/good ears to do)

Choir Director: Should check and double-check parts BEFORE rehearsal, and apologize profusely to everyone if they mess up. They are ultimately responsible for the sound of the choir.

Since we don't have many musicians, I find that there is a greater problem with choir members interrupting rehearsal. At our warm-up Sunday morning, we were going through our song in front of the standing mics. I had to play, so I asked for a volunteer to stand in front of the choir and cue them on their 'leaning' movements. Twice one choir member spoke up - once to suggest the choir should be directed with the volunteer's back to the choir, and once to say that they couldn't sway or do the moves while standing close to the mics...

Offline mplsbender

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:24:31 PM »
I dislike crap like that are paster says God is a orderly  God and stuff like that is not of God . Are paster is old school and will remind folks were they belong in church. And you are Choir Director da you direct not others. Think every one in church needs to visit this sight so maybe ther will be less chance the enemy of chaos gets in

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »
I dislike crap like that are paster says God is a orderly  God and stuff like that is not of God . Are paster is old school and will remind folks were they belong in church. And you are Choir Director da you direct not others. Think every one in church needs to visit this sight so maybe ther will be less chance the enemy of chaos gets in

Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »
Definitely discuss this with the musician.  It sounds like you are doing your homework by preparing the songs so they should not interrupt unless they can see there is a blatant issue with the choir chords or if there seems to be uncertainty.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline HolyOne27

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Yeah, this is a must address with the musicians.   I would phrase it in a way that they understand that it is a hinderance to the choir, and causes confusion when they are receiving direction from multiple people.  You are teaching, and should be the only one giving parts.  As others have said, and I agree, if there is a note (and it happens no matter how hard you study the music) they feel needs discussion, they should call a "timeout."  This way, you can have a "brief" (1-2 min max) "sidebar" on the note, and if you feel it should be changed, then you can address it with the choir.

I am the Minister of Music, and musician.  I actually teach the music because I am still trying to grow the choir director's skill set in this area.  I will happy to let Choir Director take the lead....and...because I am a very strong harmony-focused leader, I will call a "sidebar" if and when I feel we need to make an adjustment......but will continue to lead my Choir Director Lead.  After all.....leaders should be teaching others to lead.

God Bless.

Offline Formuzik

• LGM Member

My concern would be that if you are the one introducing/teaching the song, there is no way the musician would know if you made a judgment call on the arrangement of the part different from what was interpreted from the cd.  I hardly ever do a song's harmony exactly as the cd.  I went to school for music and much of our training was in the area of arrangement and composition.  I prefer, if possible, to have a trio assigned to teach parts to songs anyway, so that the sections hear their part in the voice form I want.  It also makes rehearsals go faster.

The Protege

I've had this problem, but with the choir president, and honestly I pulled her to the side and told her that if we as the leaders argue in front of the choir, the choir will think its ok to argue with us. Not only did she attempt to correct the note, she gave them the wrong note, and I had to go back and change it to the correct one, which was the one I gave the first time.

Offline amstudiosproducer

• LGM Member
  • God Will Do Exceedingly and Abundantly
    • www.twitter.com/lilwondermusic

God has a funny sense of humor because I just dealt with this same problem but the other way around, Im the music minister and I teach the parts and the choir director interupted me but not to correct me but to tell me that they dont like the tempo i was teaching the song at and got mad and left rehearsal.
" God Is Able, and He Does Exceedingly and Abundantly Above What We Ask For!!!!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

God has a funny sense of humor because I just dealt with this same problem but the other way around, Im the music minister and I teach the parts and the choir director interupted me but not to correct me but to tell me that they dont like the tempo i was teaching the song at and got mad and left rehearsal.
?/? :-\ ?/? :-\

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Sometimes on fast songs people need to be taught parts at a slower tempo before singing up to speed.
Something your Choir Director should know...

Offline CRYCHI

• LGM Member
  • Child of God, striving to be more like Him

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »
Re-visiting this issue....thanks  LGM family for all of the input  :) (sorry for the delay in response).

To combat this issue, we plan to start musician meetings, that will include all of the musicians and the choir directors.  The agenda will include a listening session of songs that will be taught, where all will hear the same thing at the same time (you can't always trust them to listen intently to the music beforehand).  This will be scheduled on a non-rehearsal day, so there is no rush to complete it before the choir arrives; allowing for a more focused group.

We will then discuss how the song will be performed, if any key changes need to happen, if and how the songs will change from the recorded version, how the voices will be chorded, tempo, expressions, etc.   The person teaching the song will be determined, and will be the primary teacher with no interruptions/interjections.   If issues arrive during rehearsal, sidebars will be called to address and resolve any issues.

That's the plan, as it stands now, with changes/adjustments expected.  It's going to be a BIG change for the current musicians  but I'm optimistic and will continue to pray for the growth of our music ministry.
CryChi
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13
Pages: [1]   Go Up