LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Demographic Assessment of the LGM Community  (Read 2846 times)

Manofchrist101

Demographic Assessment of the LGM Community
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:08:46 AM »
In short, there are a few questions i have been asking regarding certain techniques on the piano. But these questions constantly go unanswered. I noticed the questions i am asking would pertain to pianists with swing jazz training and a traditional playing style.

Most of the questions that do get answered are for contemporary songs. This leads me to wonder......is the LGM community just full of 20-30 year old african americans who play neo-soul and urban ""jazz" and contemporary music?

I don't ask this with any racist intent, i am just trying to figure it out.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Demographic Assessment of the LGM Community
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:31:26 AM »
To answer your question, LGM is full of people from all different backgrounds. However, I think that only about 20% of the members are actually posting. So, I doubt you're gonna know what the true demographics of LGM are.

*side note*
It's not that no one can answer your music questions, it's just that not everyone can answer them in the way that you want. And there are some who do know the answer, but are scared to post anything at all.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Manofchrist101

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »
To answer your question, LGM is full of people from all different backgrounds. However, I think that only about 20% of the members are actually posting. So, I doubt you're gonna know what the true demographics of LGM are.

*side note*
It's not that no one can answer your music questions, it's just that not everyone can answer them in the way that you want. And there are some who do know the answer, but are scared to post anything at all.

What would cause them to be scared ?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:48:04 PM »
I agree w/T-Block, a wide variety of people on LGM, probably a lot of lurkers, plus some of us read music, many do not. So we wonder when we see a request like "help me on this song..." - what kind of help does the poster want? Specific is better, IMO.

I would be more likely to respond by attaching a sheet music PDF, but wonder if chorded letters with the lyrics would be more helpful...

PS - perhaps check out Sound of Joy's posts and online courses, they seem to be more Traditional-oriented...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
What would cause them to be scared ?

Shyness, fear of their post being rejected or ridiculed, etc. Even tho you're behind a computer screen, people still have feelings just as if it's face to face.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:42:57 PM »
I am not positive, but in answer to your question based on my personal experience with LGM and my assumptive belief, I would say that a good majority of the people who frequent LGM are young(relatively) and are black.  That is not at all to say that there are not other ages and races here, but they seem to be in the minority.  But I can't recall when I have run into a more helpful group of people.  Your claim about which questions get answered is in error, plain and simple.  I don't see how anyone who even reviewed past posts or looked at some of the title and/or search pages could come to your stated conclusion.

Now that we have established the possibility that there are more young African-American posters at this site, let us make clear that has no bearing on the range of their musical interests and abilities. 

Your post offers racial undertones of which you are aware because you gave a disclaimer in your post.

Manofchrist101

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:43:47 PM »
I am not positive, but in answer to your question based on my personal experience with LGM and my assumptive belief, I would say that a good majority of the people who frequent LGM are young(relatively) and are black.  That is not at all to say that there are not other ages and races here, but they seem to be in the minority.  But I can't recall when I have run into a more helpful group of people.  Your claim about which questions get answered is in error, plain and simple.  I don't see how anyone who even reviewed past posts or looked at some of the title and/or search pages could come to your stated conclusion.

Now that we have established the possibility that there are more young African-American posters at this site, let us make clear that has no bearing on the range of their musical interests and abilities. 

Your post offers racial undertones of which you are aware because you gave a disclaimer in your post.

No need to get defensive. In no way did i insinuate racism. But in answer to your first objection: I said that none of MY specific questions got answered. I didnt say "nobody answers questions" I specified that my particular genre of questions has gone unanswered.

My questions deal with traditional gospel and swing jazz.

From what i have seen in life nobody under 50 is interested in that kind of gospel. Where i am from all the black youths prefer more of a kirk franklin style

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:32:28 AM »
There maybe one available metric on this site and that is the "chord request " room. I looked through the 1st few pages and most songs seemed to be geared towards contemporary gospel music. I didn't see anything that would require one to play "swing jazz."

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 02:16:23 AM »
There maybe one available metric on this site and that is the "chord request " room. I looked through the 1st few pages and most songs seemed to be geared towards contemporary gospel music. I didn't see anything that would require one to play "swing jazz."

Did you look under "Traditional" in the Styles section?

Offline GospelEngineer

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 07:37:40 AM »
You asked me questions and I told you what scales you needed in order to learn those licks and I gave you a video that showed how to do similar licks and you brushed those off because they weren't exact. In order for me to learn that stuff I would have to sit down and replay the video and learn it note by note til I got it.....something you can do yourself.

I'm all for helping people but not spoon feeding them.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »
Did you look under "Traditional" in the Styles section?

I didn't look at traditional. However, Today's musicians tend to play hymns with a contemporary voicing.

Manofchrist101

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »
You asked me questions and I told you what scales you needed in order to learn those licks and I gave you a video that showed how to do similar licks and you brushed those off because they weren't exact. In order for me to learn that stuff I would have to sit down and replay the video and learn it note by note til I got it.....something you can do yourself.

The videos you sent werent similar.

ALso i learned using the number's system and every gospel musician i knew could play those licks, the problem is i no longer have access to those people....so i assumed others must know how to play them without having to repeat it note for note but who know the concept of that specific lick.

I am from the baptist tradition, and where i am from that lick is a staple

Manofchrist101

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 01:41:17 PM »

Also i tried slowing it down many times, the problem is his hands arent fully in view so that wouldnt work

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »
Also i tried slowing it down many times, the problem is his hands arent fully in view so that wouldnt work

With videos you have to use your eyes and ears. If you can't see his hands, you can hear the notes being played and learn it that way as well.

Manofchrist101

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »
With videos you have to use your eyes and ears. If you can't see his hands, you can hear the notes being played and learn it that way as well.

I hear ya, but when i slowed the video down, the pitch of the note lowered.....what do i do then?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
I hear ya, but when i slowed the video down, the pitch of the note lowered.....what do i do then?

Then it's a matter of transposition. For instance, if a song is being played in the key of C, and you slowed down the the video to where the note C was sounding a Bb, then you would have to learn every note in that slowed down manner, then afterwards tranpose them up a whole step to the key of C.

I did a similar approach in band when I was learning my Bb clarinet parts and trying to make sure I was playing the right pitches. Of course, on the keyboard I used the transpose function. Not because I couldn't play play in either of those keys, but because I couldn't simultaneously read in one key and play in another at the speed of the piece, lol.

If you have a strong ear tho, all this is unnecessary.

Offline allaround

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »
I think the problem is that alot of ppl come here for instruction because of lack ppl around them who are willing to instruct. From my experience with you guys, theres alot things lacking but overall theres still good stuff on this forum.

What alot of beginners are looking for is how to begin playing, what they need to practice, how to start voicing chords, how to start practicing, how to begin to apply the material they've practice, how to learn songs. Theory behind certain chord movements, theory behind traditional styles, theory behind contemporary/neo-soul/r&b styles.

I know this is just a forum, but it this place has become a haven for students without teachers. Most of them are looking for a guide.

So to my moderators and advanced players how can you help with a more systematic instructional approach?

Pages: [1]   Go Up