LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Breathe" Byron Cage  (Read 30724 times)

Offline CESharp

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Good Mornting......Hellerrrrrrrr!!!!

Re: "Breathe" Byron Cage
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 09:13:35 AM »
Hey T-Block
I get most of it but each time you say "with the ___ being in the bass" I get lost.  Can you explain that phrase in each break down?  Thanks

This is a good lesson
Carla E.
Canaan Church (Urbana, Illinois)
U of I

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 02:47:41 PM »
First of all, keep in mind that a major chord contains 1-3-5 scale degrees of any key:

Eb / Ab-Bb-C-Eb

In the LH, we have an Eb, which is the 1st scale degree in the key of Eb.  In the RH, we have an Abadd9 chord, which is a 4 chord in Eb w/the added 9th, Bb.  Since Eb is a note in the 4 chord, we are actually playing an inversion of the 4 chord, w/the 5th being in the bass.  Since the 1st scale degree is in the bass, the entire chord is a 1.

O.K, in this chord, I mean the 5th of the Ab chord.  In the key of Ab, your scale degrees are:  Ab=1  Bb=2  C=3  Db=4  Eb=5  F=6  G=7  So, when you play the 4 chord, you are playing the 5th of that chord in the bass, not the 5th of Eb.

C / Eb-Ab-C

In the LH, we have a C, which is the 6th scale degree in the key of Eb.  In the RH, we have an Ab major chord, which is a 4 chord in Eb.  Since C is a note in the 4 chord, we are actually playing an inversion of the 4 chord, w/the 3rd being in the bass.  Since the 6th scale degree is in the bass, the entire chord is a 6.

O.K, in this chord, I mean the 3rd of the Ab chord.  In the key of Ab, your scale degrees are:  Ab=1  Bb=2  C=3  Db=4  Eb=5  F=6  G=7  So, when you play the 4 chord, you are playing the 3rd of that chord in the bass, not the 3rd of Eb. 

D / F-Bb-D

In the LH, we have a D, which is the 7th scale degree in the key of Eb.  In the RH, we have an Bb major chord, which is a 5 chord in Eb.  Since D is a note in the 5 chord, we are actually playing an inversion of the 5 chord, w/the 3rd being in the bass.  Since the 7th scale degree is in the bass, the entire chord is a 7.

O.K, in this chord, I mean the 3rd of the Bb chord.  In the key of Bb, your scale degrees are:  Bb=1  C=2  D=3  Eb=4  F=5  G=6  A=7  So, when you play the 5 chord, you are playing the 3rd of that chord in the bass, not the 3rd of Eb.

Is that better?
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline lamurud

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 08:00:56 AM »
T-Block,

These are very helpful "Breathe" chords that you posted here.

I am trying to play around with the piano chords on Lamont Dozier's "Going Back to My Roots." It gives one's fingers some mobility practice, I think. I listen to secular piano chords just like you. We are all "sinners", I guess.
I know it is going to take me days to figure them out. If you ever get to listen to the song and figure it out, please let me know. By the way, the chorus you hear there is Yoruba, which is my mother tongue.
It is saying we should remember our beginnings to the time of our ancestral fathers.
God Bless.

Lamurud

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 08:39:07 PM »
These are very helpful "Breathe" chords that you posted here.

I glad you found them useful.  I tried to make it easy as possible and still sound like the CD.

I am trying to play around with the piano chords on Lamont Dozier's "Going Back to My Roots." It gives one's fingers some mobility practice, I think. I listen to secular piano chords just like you. We are all "sinners", I guess.

Piano chords aren't secular or gospel or anything but that, piano chords.  It's the words that make it secular or whatever.  Also, sinners are people who practice sin.  I am not a sinner cuz I don't practice sin, even though I do mess up, I don't continue to do the same thing over and over again.  Just clearing that up!!!

Offline CESharp

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 08:40:01 AM »
T-Block, I GOT IT!!!
Wow, when I think I got the "jist" of something here comes more stuff.  Phew, I got a lot of work to do.
Thank you for explaining it and I'm going to apply this to some simple songs I know and break them down for a better understanding.
Carla E.
U of I

Offline CESharp

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 08:43:04 AM »
Good point/clarification T-Block on the "secular music" statement.

So glad you cleared that up about the music and about sin.

I pray for increase in your life!!!!!!  Know that I do not take it lightly that you take out time and expalin theory!!

Thanks again
Carla E.
U of I

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 10:07:51 AM »
It's my pleasure to help out anyone in need, that's whay I'm here!!!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
Chord symbol version:

"Breathe" by: Byron Cage
Key Eb  RH/LH

Part 1: