LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A thread I missed...  (Read 526 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

A thread I missed...
« on: October 14, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »
A couple years back I had a thread where for each scale I had built chords where for example in the key of C, I showed every chord that had the C note in it and C chord acted as in Root, 3rd, 5th, or 7th position. For example in the key of C: C D E F G A B

When the C note is in root, 3rd, 5th, or 7th.

(C) E G = C major*
A (C) E = A minor
F A (C) = F major*
D F A (C) = Dm7

When the D note is in root, 3rd, 5th, or 7th.

(D) F A = D minor*
B (D) F = B dim
G B (D) = G major*
E G B (D) = Em7

When the E note is in root, 3rd, 5th, or 7th.

(E) G B = E minor*
C (E) G = C major
A C (E) = A minor*
F A C (E) = F maj7

When the F note is in root, 3rd , 5th, 7th.

(F) A C = F major*
D (F) A = D minor
B D (F) = B dim*
G B D (F) = G dom7th

When the G note is in root, 3rd, 5th, 7th.

(G) B D = G major*
E (G) B = E minor
C E (G) = C major*
A C E (G) = Am7

When the A note is in root, 3rd, 5th, 7th.

(A) C E = A minor*
F (A) C = F major
D F (A) = D minor*
B D F (A) = Bm7b5

When the B note is in root, 3rd, 5th, 7th.

(B) D F = B dim*
G (B) D = G major
E G (B) = E minor*
C E G (B) = C maj7

You see where this marker is "*" I notice how in this collection of chords that two out of the four has a connection and that they share the same notes. So I'll list the chord progression or the two chords that share the same notes and then you can use that note as for a melody. For example in the first marker you have C major (C) E G and F maj F A (C) try playing four bars of C major and four bars of F major. What Im saying is these two chords share the note C together and for that you can play a phrase where you dont have to start on the C note (in your phrasing) but at the end you end your phrase on the C note making the phrase sound like C Ionian and what I notice is that what I came across < that thread I came up with! this concept really fits this description of what Im talking about it'll make it sound nice.

Ok, that was for the first chords but what about the rest where do they fit? D minor (D) F A and G major G B (D) share notes D in the root and 5th position you should try playing this two chords in progression four bars of D min and four bars of G major and try playing in a phrase a little something and land on D note this would make the phrase sound good over D Dorian < it works all the time.

For next one is E minor (E) G B and A minor A C (E). These two chords share the note E is what they have in common. Ok, four bars of E minor and four bars of A minor and play a little something and make sure you land the E note this would make that phrase E Phrygian. Ok, for the note F you have F major (F) A C and B D (F) B dim. Ok four bars of F major and four bars of B dim and to play over that you play little something but you make sure you on the F note to make sound like what you were playing was F lydian. For the next one is G major (G) B D and C major C E (G). These two chords share the note G is what they have in common. Ok, four bars of G major and four bars C major and play little something and make sure you land on the G note this would make the phrase sound like G Mixloydian.

Ok, for the next one you have A minor (A) C E and D minor D F (A) and these chords share note A in common. Four bars of A minor and four bars of D minor and you play little something and at the end of your phrase you land note A and this would make the phrase sound like A Aeolian. Ok, last one. For the B dim (B) D F and for Eminor E G (B) both these chords share the B note in common. Ok, four bars of B dim and four bars of E minor and play little something and at the end of the phrase make sure you land on the B note and this would make the phrase sound like B locrian.

Tell me what you think leave comment and let me know
Pages: [1]   Go Up