LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Election...This is it!  (Read 1559 times)

blyempowered

Re: 2012 Election...This is it!
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »
Likability....it may not reflect how effective a person is, but I think it was the deciding factor in this election.  People just don't like Romney for whatever reason.  But with President Obama, forget "like"....people just love the guy.

Totally agree because I really thought Romney had a good chance in light of the economy but I think it ended up being what you said plus not wanting a Romney administration and choosing the "lesser of two evils."

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »
Totally agree because I really thought Romney had a good chance in light of the economy but I think it ended up being what you said plus not wanting a Romney administration and choosing the "lesser of two evils."

I think a lot of it may have been fear of the GOP extreme "Tea Party" faction.
After all, in 2000 GWB promised to govern from the center and derided "nation-building", yet let himself be guided by the right-wing into massive spending/deficits and a misdirected war...

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 11:15:43 AM »
From my FB page:
So this election is now over and this nation that we all love has made a choice. Some are ecstatic and optimistic while others are disappointed and bitter. All of us are uncertain about the future. Our nation faces challenges ahead that are daunting and that demand the cooperation of our elected officials with each other. They were elected to govern .. not to simply be in office. We did not get here because of one man or in 4 years and the insinuations to the contrary are what alarm me most about the past election cycle because that says that people are reacting to fear and manipulation and not looking at reality.

I hope that now that this is over that everyone.. instead of digging in their heels on their respective sides or rolling over and throwing up their hands will get off their collective butts and grab their pens figuratively and let these men that we elected into office know what we want.. That is what they will respond to. We can sit and listen to the droning media and get all whipped into a frenzy and still DO nothing and wait for the next cycle but what will illicit change, real change, is getting more engaged in the process from here on out. As it is now most politicians seem to think that the engagement is only during the election cycle so they come knocking round election time and then go back to begging for money but WE THE PEOPLE are NOT powerless and while we do not have the same deep pockets as the corporations that buy influence from our government, we do have a voice and that voice goes beyond the ballot box. I challenge every one who reads this to commit yourself to become more engaged in the ongoing political process. To know who your elected officials are on every level and to let them know who you are. We have gotten where we are because we trusted our representatives to represent us.. but they spend far too much time insuring their own reelection it seems than being about the people's business.

These changing times demand a change in the way we deal with the political issues that effect us all and the process of addressing them. We can no longer afford as a collective citizenry to let the government work us. We must work OUR government for ourselves. Think about this very carefully. How many political ads did we see in this cycle.. from both sides, not just in the presidential election but in many of the other contests waged across the nation that were just lies? They do this because they know that we are not engaged and that we will succumb to the power of the myth, which is far more powerful.. and dangerous than the lie. The lie often generates the myth. By being more engaged and letting them know that we are watching what they do we can hold them more accountable. This is the information age. We have greater access to our government than ever before. We must change the paradigm by which we interface with our government to reflect this access. If they know we are watching and are engaged then they will know that we will be more likely to spot the lie and not fall for the myth. They will only know we are watching if we let them know. I can't speak for others.. but intend to let my representatives know that I am paying attention. If more people did this we would probably see a difference.

Well stated. Fare ye well.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »
After all, in 2000 GWB promised to govern from the center and derided "nation-building", yet let himself be guided by the right-wing into massive spending/deficits and a misdirected war...

The Tea Party has done nothing good for the Republican Party.  It has attracted an element that paints them  as being bigots and lacking compassion. 
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

blyempowered

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 06:43:57 PM »
The Tea Party has done nothing good for the Republican Party.  It has attracted an element that paints them  as being bigots and lacking compassion.

I agree and that hurts the chances of the GOP getting minorities (hate that word but you get my point), young people, etc.

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »

Absolutely.. I would wager that everyone you heard shouting "kill him!" (and there were several in different rallies..), and all those idiots who were willing to place Sarah Palin one step from the oval office .. and the same ones who went out and bought guns  following President Obama's election eventually became Tea Party members..  You see how they threw Mitt under the bus because he lost.. and the weird part for me is.. I know people who are TP members and it is like being in the twilight zone some times.
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »

Absolutely.. I would wager that everyone you heard shouting "kill him!" (and there were several in different rallies..), and all those idiots who were willing to place Sarah Palin one step from the oval office .. and the same ones who went out and bought guns  following President Obama's election eventually became Tea Party members..  You see how they threw Mitt under the bus because he lost.. and the weird part for me is.. I know people who are TP members and it is like being in the twilight zone some times.

The Twilight Zone: To Serve Man
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up