LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fretboard Speed  (Read 1803 times)

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

Fretboard Speed
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:19:36 AM »
Does anyone have a good exercise to increase speed on the frets? Right now I only incorporate a "down only" picking style. I want to start using "Hybrid" picking style (down/up) but other than going over scales, I don't know of any other drills to help.
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: Fretboard Speed
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
Most picking exercises are built around scales; but have you tried applying the technique to stuff that you already play?
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »
Sketch is right: alternate picking is what you want to work on...down/up/down/up, etc...
And funk is on the right track; a lot of scale and exercise practice is necessary to develop good picking technique. Basic scales, fragments and arpeggios that you practice slowly and precisely is where you start. I mean like several times each day, every day.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
Has anybody found what this guy says at around 3:10 to be true. Have you found there to be a point where your fingers just break through in speed?
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:05:35 PM »
This is the video. I have been trying to do an alteration of this with the left hand only. I practice on the top string because I have a theory that my fingers will get faster because its actually more difficult to do speed on it.

Top Guitar Secrets REVEALED! - Develop An Amazing Left Hand

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:50:33 PM »
I think i handicapped myself by learning the joys of alternate picking too early. I think my speed development would have been quicker if I had started out relying on down-picking as fast as I could. My down-picking and down-strumming speed is really weak. :\ That's the thing I'm working on now. I can't let the Jonas Brothers beat me at muted 8th-note power chords >:(
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:43:57 AM »
I don't know that that is the case. Remember that for every downstroke, you have to come back up again before you go back down, so it is in effect 'alternate picking' at least as far as motion and direction.
In most cases, speed is determined by technique; hand position, arm position, movement of various joints, pick position, etc...and you can develop slightly different techniques for alternate picking vs. all downstrokes in order to do each style best.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 10:45:06 AM »
Well when you put it like that, Dave, it makes sense! I think that think about it too much instead of "letting my hand take over". When there are the rare times I use this style, I surprise myself and start messing up. Newbie mistakes...
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
I was doing a similar exercise on the top string for over an hour on and off last night with my left hand. There was a point were my fingers felt real light. Kinda like it feels when you swing a heavy object for a period of time then start swinging a lighter one afterwards. I think I tapped into loosening my muscles at that point. I'm going to try it again after work. I sometimes get that same feeling after practicing exercises on the keyboard a long time. I made sure that I wasn't feeling any pain though. I may try to video it at some point.

Offline Sweetplayer

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »
Sketch is right: alternate picking is what you want to work on...down/up/down/up, etc...
And funk is on the right track; a lot of scale and exercise practice is necessary to develop good picking technique. Basic scales, fragments and arpeggios that you practice slowly and precisely is where you start. I mean like several times each day, every day.
Alternate picking is  a MUST.Dave you are soooo right 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up