LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fasting from My Sustain Pedal  (Read 2818 times)

Offline ShadowPhace

• LGM Member
  • I am truely blessed...thank you God.

Fasting from My Sustain Pedal
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:08:44 PM »
God bless yall!!! I have a confession to make... I have been over using my sustain pedal over the last 8 years. I have been using my sustain pedal in simple 1-4-5 progressions that I could easly use 2nd inversions for. This problem finally came to me when I was at a friend house and he did not have a sustain pedal, he was killing the keys and when it was my time to go it felt like my "pasifire"  :) was gone the whole time. He and I begun to talk and he told me what the problem was, I was over working my hand when I could use inversion to quickly get the next progression. There yall have it, I've confessed my faults...now I fasting from my sustain pedal for a while to get back to inversions. Anyone have any train videos on inversion or materials to help me?
All the glory goes to God for my talent.

Offline ltljake

• LGM Member
    • http://www.pianodownloads.com

Re: Fasting from My Sustain Pedal
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »
I fail to see whats wrong with what your doing. Maybe you can post an example? I for one hate it when there isn't a sustain pedal. However, as an organist, Im able to bridge chords with no pedal if need be. I have heard of classical pianist masking their lack of articulation by over using the sustain pedal, though Im not sure fasting from the pedal is the answer to what your situation is.

Offline Hands Anointed by God

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25:49 PM »
you have a good point, many musicians hid behind the pedal, some of them are not as good as they sound, but proper placement and correct use of the pedal cover up a lot of flaws. But Inversions are simple and is a great tool to know fluently. Especially for those you play both organ and keys, some of those chords may sound great on keys but not as much on organ so that's where those inversions can also come into play. Knowing them can make the world of difference in your sound.
Your gift will make room for you

Offline KeyofB

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
Can someone explain why we are making it seem like one or the other. It's suppose to be both. Because when you put both of those things together it's magic. I haven't ever played the root chord in the first inversion. It just doesn't fit my ear.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:09:18 AM »
The sustain doesn't work at the church I play at because something is wrong with the keyboard. :) Every Sunday I try to play without sounding choppy. Sometimes I practice at home without it. Practicing without it is a great idea so its not a crutch when you need it.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »
The sustain doesn't work at the church I play at because something is wrong with the keyboard. :) Every Sunday I try to play without sounding choppy. Sometimes I practice at home without it. Practicing without it is a great idea so its not a crutch when you need it.

Why don't yall get it fixed?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
Practicing without it is a great idea so its not a crutch when you need it.

QFE!!!

It's good to be prepared for all situations. The ideal playing situation is both. However, maybe during a service your sustain pedal could give out on you and there is no back-up. What do you do? If you've practiced playing without one, it shouldn't be too much of a struggle. If you haven't, good luck, lol.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
QFE!!!

It's good to be prepared for all situations. The ideal playing situation is both. However, maybe during a service your sustain pedal could give out on you and there is no back-up. What do you do? If you've practiced playing without one, it shouldn't be too much of a struggle. If you haven't, good luck, lol.
being prepared for anything in this situation means I bring my own pedal to a gig where I dont know the quality of the board.

Like Mysteryman said, there are consequences to not using the pedal, esp if you're not doing it correctly. I did it for a while, and my playing started sounding choppy; not good

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »
being prepared for anything in this situation means I bring my own pedal to a gig where I dont know the quality of the board.

But what if your pedal gives out during the gig? Then what?

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »
Why don't yall get it fixed?
Its a starter church but I may check on the cost later or possibly fix it myself.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »
Ive been playing without a sustain at church for a while now. I find myself practicing without it most of the time now at home.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »
Practicing on an organ or string/pad sound is a good way to get better on legato playing without pedaling.
But IMO pedaling is very important to a good piano sound.

The big misuse of the sustain pedal is when someone sits on it through chord changes, thus sounding 'muddy'...
 :P

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 08:12:37 AM »
I keep practicing like this in part because I don't have a Hammond but I do have the organ sound on the keyboard to play with. I also like this because it makes me figure out different rhythms and extra notes to play when I need to play connected moving quickly.

Offline GospelEngineer

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 05:00:37 AM »
Practicing on an organ or string/pad sound is a good way to get better on legato playing without pedaling.
But IMO pedaling is very important to a good piano sound.

The big misuse of the sustain pedal is when someone sits on it through chord changes, thus sounding 'muddy'...
 :P

I really hate when I hear someone trying to playing piano especially talk music or something without a pedal. Sounds choppy  :-\

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 05:53:30 PM »
My dad's been playing keys for over 50 years and I've never seen him use a sustain pedal, EVER. Needless to say, his playing sounds more fluent than mine sometimes and I use the sustain pedal, lol.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »
Yeah it forces you to find ways to fill in the gaps or create space intentionally.  I play semi weighted keys though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up