LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something I started....  (Read 623 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Something I started....
« on: December 27, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »
Hi guys back with another thread. I want what Im about to say sink into your hearing because it is important on what Im about to say. Anyway, to make a long story short I had just learned something new that helped me become a better guitar player at hearing melodies and hearing phrases in their such unique way. For instance, I started playing a chord.... lets take a C Major7 chord and I thought to myself what way can I come up with to make interesting phrases that would sound good over this chord. I thought...well, any note would sound good if you know only how to resolve it. I always wondered what it would be like.... for it was never the note I ended on, (which had some significance to it) but the choice of choosing a different note maybe the R, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, the 5th, 6th, or the 7th to maybe perhaps starting on would be the uncommon in this case.

And this is what I noticed from my experience of playing the guitar... but the one thing I noticed that so intrigued me was that each note sounded different and if as though that each starting note had a different vibe to it...you know but you can tell it always wanted some resolution after it. So what I started doing was to play a chord with rhythm just one chord and just decide for once to pick a note (any note which is in this key the key of C it could be the note C or D or E or F or G or A or B) (< sorry for the redundancy but just trying to make a point here) and try to resolve the tension on a good note. For a scale is different from a phrase....you get where coming from?!?

For instance, I play a C maj7 chord and then follow it up with a note and lets say I pick the note: "G"  to follow up behind this chord, by the way the G note which is the 5th in the key of C and lets just say I slide into that note to make it a long note but not a short note which is played quickly and then released - (please you must know the difference between a short and long note check out my thread on short and long notes) ....anyway, after I've played or have slid into this G note I can decide whether to play a note that's either to left of it and begin my phrase which is the note F or I can start to the right of it and begin my phrase which is A or I can decide that after I've slid into this G note I can pick a note that is on the "opposite side" which is on a different string whose note is not neither to right or left hand to make things interesting to my phrase after I have slid into that G note. Get my point?!?

To keep this topic going say that I choose the left hand side and went a something like this. That after I slid into the G note I resolve this phrase in this fashion

The notes are highlighted

E
B-(F)-6-(E)-5
G-------------(C)-5-(D)-7
D---------------------------(G)-5
A
E

So I start this process over and over again each time I decide to phrase

step 1. pick a chord
step 2. slide into any note where it can be slid into a note that is a whole step away from the note your targeting
step 3. then immediately choose a note that is either on the left hand or right hand side of the note you slid into or choose a note that is on a different string to begin with
step 4. then resolve the phrase on a good note
step 5 repeat....

And there you have it  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up