LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Lick that needs to be analyzed from...  (Read 897 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

A Lick that needs to be analyzed from...
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
Hi guys back with another thread. To make a long story short I was on the internet searching for something new to learn and scrolled on this video of guthrie govan lick and I really started analyzing this lick that he does at 2:25 - 2:28 in this video. Does anyone know what he's doing but I saw that he uses a quick sliding technique between the notes but I dont know how he's creating that effect. Can someone get a good read on it? I'd dare someone to give a crack at it!  ;D

Guthrie Govan Breaking Out Of Scale Boxes | Guitar Lesson

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Re: A Lick that needs to be analyzed from...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »
He's playing Am pentatonic, using a combination of bends, finger vibrato and half-step vibrato (that quick sliding across 1 fret thing that I think you're hearing) to add character and attitude.
Greg Howe does that technique in his playing:

Greg Howe Jammin' on Sunny - www.greghowe.com
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »
Yea gtrdave that is what Im talking about!  ;D That sliding technique adds character and life to it but how can one might learn to add this to his or her arsenal? Do you have any tabs?

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »
Yea gtrdave that is what Im talking about!  ;D That sliding technique adds character and life to it but how can one might learn to add this to his or her arsenal? Do you have any tabs?

No, I don't have tabs.
Like everything else, you learn it slow and then practice it until your fingers bleed.  :)
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »
Hey I'm back. I just learn how to incorporate this sliding technique into my playing after few minutes of practicing it on my guitar. I find that hammering on a note and quickly taking that note you hammered on and then quickly slide a half step up and quickly slide back a half step down to the original note works wonders.  ;) Gtrdave, I finally know how to sound jazzy like guthrie govan! lol!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up