LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Should licks/loops from the world be in gospel music?  (Read 17703 times)

Offline DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin

• LGM Member
  • "Music has the power to shape character"

Should licks/loops from the world be in gospel music?
« on: March 03, 2005, 02:16:43 PM »
Christian musicians should not recycle themes from the WORLD whether they came from the church or not. The reason is because its already been tainted. Example: Making your clean clothes dirty, and putting them back with the clean clothes. If the clothes had minds of their own, would the clean begin to question themselves because the unclean now dwells with them? The bible says let there be a difference BETWEEN clean and unclean. And I am fully aware that I am speaking against something that has been excepted by some mainstream gospel artist and musicians, but HOLINESS is still right. We have a connection from on high which no other style of music carries. That's why gospel artist and musicians can sing and play many different stlyes. But, have you ever noticed that no matter how hard some secular artist try, they never make it in gospel music like they did in the world. Why? When you answer this question, you will then answer why licks and loops shouldn't be taken from the world and put in gospel music.
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

Offline D-Nice

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 04:00:49 PM »
liljohn lumpkin are you trying to say you think its out of place? ...and thats why it shouldnt be there because it causes negative attention?....i personally dont feel that its bad to incorporate into gospel...i dont think b/c i played Eminem's "loose your self" into a gospel song that God would not be glorified by my praise thats going forth...b/c our younger generations respond to things like that...i think it gets away from "old" tradition, and helps our congregations move towards the new level of where God is leading us.  we never know how we are blessing others..

peace

Offline dwdrummer

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 06:38:59 PM »
Quote from: D-Nice
liljohn lumpkin are you trying to say you think its out of place? ...and thats why it shouldnt be there because it causes negative attention?....i personally dont feel that its bad to incorporate into gospel...i dont think b/c i played Eminem's "loose your self" into a gospel song that God would not be glorified by my praise thats going forth...b/c our younger generations respond to things like that...i think it gets away from "old" tradition, and helps our congregations move towards the new level of where God is leading us.  we never know how we are blessing others..

peace

yo my man was on point in sayin dis. i dont think it is bad @ all :!: if it pulls the people in & contributes 2 there salvation den PLAY IT :!: there is so many things i bet u do if u step out ur flesh dat if we all decided 2 get religious (which please lets not) that u may find bout urself dat we could pick @ :wink: so my thing is if it wins souls DO IT :!:  :!:  :!:
out :wink:

Offline nybalers9

• LGM Member

Re: Should licks/loops from the world be in gospel music?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:22:53 AM »
god bless you guys im new here so im reading all posts. i personally think its not a good thing.one of the guys siad that if it brings the souls then its ok. or something to that effect. i feel when you come to christ to regardless if your drummer, pianist what ever there should be a change. the bible says you are new in christ. so if im new in christ why bring the old in with me. although as a drummer the beats are relatively the same. but we keep it holy.

E.R.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »
Christian musicians should not recycle themes from the WORLD whether they came from the church or not. The reason is because its already been tainted. Example: Making your clean clothes dirty, and putting them back with the clean clothes. If the clothes had minds of their own, would the clean begin to question themselves because the unclean now dwells with them? The bible says let there be a difference BETWEEN clean and unclean. And I am fully aware that I am speaking against something that has been excepted by some mainstream gospel artist and musicians, but HOLINESS is still right. We have a connection from on high which no other style of music carries. That's why gospel artist and musicians can sing and play many different stlyes. But, have you ever noticed that no matter how hard some secular artist try, they never make it in gospel music like they did in the world. Why? When you answer this question, you will then answer why licks and loops shouldn't be taken from the world and put in gospel music.

I hear you and I feel you. HOWEVER, you have to understand one thing, even though this is a GOSPEL website, a large majority of the drummers are extremely lax in their approach to Christianity, Righteous Living and Holiness.

Crazy huh? even when we have God's word. Heaven and Earth will pass away but His word will never, yet we find it so hard to just stick to His Word.

Its a Mute point. We've all argued/debated over these kind of topics time and time again to no avail.

Good Luck.  ;)

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:10:36 AM »
I hear you and I feel you. HOWEVER, you have to understand one thing, even though this is a GOSPEL website, a large majority of the drummers are extremely lax in their approach to Christianity, Righteous Living and Holiness.

Crazy huh? even when we have God's word. Heaven and Earth will pass away but His word will never, yet we find it so hard to just stick to His Word.

Its a Mute point. We've all argued/debated over these kind of topics time and time again to no avail.

Good Luck.  ;)

I'm sure you meant "moot point"  ;)

In any event, I thought we were snared by the words of our mouths ?/? Therefore, how can beats/loops be misconstrued as anything other than JUST MUSIC if nothing is said over them?

I mean...Unless it's an augmented 4th lol  :D
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

E.R.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:16:14 AM »
I'm sure you meant "moot point"  ;)

In any event, I thought we were snared by the words of our mouths ?/? Therefore, how can beats/loops be misconstrued as anything other than JUST MUSIC if nothing is said over them?

I mean...Unless it's an augmented 4th lol  :D

No, I did not mean moot, I meant Mute. I know the difference between the 2 words.  ;)

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:43:57 AM »
No, I did not mean moot, I meant Mute. I know the difference between the 2 words.  ;)

Dude, I was just trying to help you out, but you got defensive. I can't let it slide now lol.

According to yourself you don't know the difference between the two. You MAY have had a case if you didn't further explain yourself. Let me refresh your memory. You said:

"Its a Mute point. We've all argued/debated over these kind of topics time and time again to no avail."

"...to no avail." meaning the issue is unresolved. Correct?

“Moot” is a very old word related to “meeting,” specifically a meeting where serious matters are discussed. Oddly enough, a moot point can be a point worth discussing at a meeting (or in court)—an unresolved question—or it can be the opposite: a point already settled and not worth discussing further. At any rate, “mute point” is simply wrong, as is the less common “mood point.”

BTW, This may help you out  ;D

http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/

ZING!

"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 10:10:48 AM »
liljohn lumpkin are you trying to say you think its out of place? ...and thats why it shouldnt be there because it causes negative attention?....i personally dont feel that its bad to incorporate into gospel...i dont think b/c i played Eminem's "loose your self" into a gospel song that God would not be glorified by my praise thats going forth...b/c our younger generations respond to things like that...i think it gets away from "old" tradition, and helps our congregations move towards the new level of where God is leading us.  we never know how we are blessing others..

peace

Well said bruh....
I'm destined for greatness!!!

E.R.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »
Dude, I was just trying to help you out, but you got defensive. I can't let it slide now lol.

According to yourself you don't know the difference between the two. You MAY have had a case if you didn't further explain yourself. Let me refresh your memory. You said:

"Its a Mute point. We've all argued/debated over these kind of topics time and time again to no avail."

"...to no avail." meaning the issue is unresolved. Correct?

“Moot” is a very old word related to “meeting,” specifically a meeting where serious matters are discussed. Oddly enough, a moot point can be a point worth discussing at a meeting (or in court)—an unresolved question—or it can be the opposite: a point already settled and not worth discussing further. At any rate, “mute point” is simply wrong, as is the less common “mood point.”

BTW, This may help you out  ;D

http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/

ZING!

lol. I did not get defensive. just said that I know what word I used. Moot being something that is discussed, really didn't fit what I am saying. I could say that this meaning of moot would be fitting: "a point already settled and not worth discussing further", however, the point was never settled. This discussion is never settled.

Ever used the MUTE button on a Television Remote? That is what I am referring to.
I am saying most MUTE this discussion, in other words, they don't HEAR what is being said.

Hope I clarified myself well enough.  ;D
Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.  8)

By the way, my preference is http://www.m-w.com

LOL  ;D ;D ;D

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:39:28 AM »

I know what you mean bruh. I think it comes down to being lead by the Holyspirit which I know by experience won't tell me to play a hook or loop from a secular song just to draw someone. If the Holyspirit is not powerful enough to draw the people then I know a secular hook or loop is only temporary and is done in vain.

We must remember that we cannot draw people, it's the Lord who draws the people to him if we are obedient to his will. My experience playing music has shown me that when I am in tune and focused on what Jesus wants then no secular hook or loop even crosses my mind. It's all about what Jesus wants. God will not just accept any offering/praise we give up to him.....example:Cain and Abel.

God Bless

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 12:24:09 PM »
once i heard a certain person on LGM say thay they are still annoited to PLAY even if they dont PRAY and NO ONE said nothing..i knew right then that true HOLINESS or PURE salvation wasnt taught to everyone, but then again we all was raised different with many different teachings...like some CHRISTIANS say its not a sin to smoke.. thats all well and dandy..but its a SIN for ME to smoke..scripture says "for him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not;to HIM it is SIN".... i say that to say that us as men of God want to stray away from tradition so bad that we nibble in wordly things but TITLE them with GOD or CHURCH to justify them..it seems like the world is pulling us more than what were pulling them...

GodsDruMmEr...

Offline edough

• LGM Member
  • philly !

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 02:37:52 PM »
It all depends because sometimes music can be a trigger to someone who associates it with partying, drinking or doing drugs.  Music is so powerful that it can make you re-connect with a certain time in your life that your desperately trying to get away from. 

On the other hand, God can use and will use anything at anytime for anyone!!!!
"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain".

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 03:01:53 PM »
*Grabs popcorn & takes a seat*

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 04:21:06 PM »
It all depends because sometimes music can be a trigger to someone who associates it with partying, drinking or doing drugs.  Music is so powerful that it can make you re-connect with a certain time in your life that your desperately trying to get away from. 

Ive heard many ppl use this line for an excuse so......

*to everyone*
Why would God want to use a piece of secular music to help draw people to Him?

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »
I know what you mean bruh. I think it comes down to being lead by the Holyspirit which I know by experience won't tell me to play a hook or loop from a secular song just to draw someone. If the Holyspirit is not powerful enough to draw the people then I know a secular hook or loop is only temporary and is done in vain.

We must remember that we cannot draw people, it's the Lord who draws the people to him if we are obedient to his will. My experience playing music has shown me that when I am in tune and focused on what Jesus wants then no secular hook or loop even crosses my mind. It's all about what Jesus wants. God will not just accept any offering/praise we give up to him.....example:Cain and Abel.

God Bless

Truth.

Offline edough

• LGM Member
  • philly !

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »

*to everyone*

Bottom line...  Christ is being preached is He not? read what Paul says ...

Offline edough

• LGM Member
  • philly !

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 04:44:58 PM »
Bottom line...  Christ is being preached is He not? read what Paul says ...

Phillipians 1:15-18....

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 04:52:50 PM »

*to everyone*

*Puts popcorn down...*

*Grabs popcorn & sits down again...*

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »

*to everyone*

The real question is...How do you "define" secular "music"?

Is Bach secular "music"?

I could give countless examples of "music" that we refer to as being other than Gospel (secular, of the world)...but we've had this discussions before as it applies to music, I would consider it closely the same as it pertains to licks/loops...

What is the message of the song is what is important and can the music/rhythm enhance or help convey that message properly?

I understand that you wouldn't want to play a rhythms accompanied by music that closely resembled, for example, a song by soldier Boy (or whatever his name is...lol), just changing the words so they have Jesus or God in them...because in my opinion, it would not convey the message we in Christ are trying to convey...all I'm going to say on this...

Stay Blessed All.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up