LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Should licks/loops from the world be in gospel music?  (Read 17705 times)

Offline drummerforgod

• LGM Member

Re: Should licks/loops from the world be in gospel music?
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2008, 04:04:39 PM »
LOL...

My point exactly...

...and we still use some of the same progressions in music today.... ;) 8)

AMEN!!!!

Especially when you listen to Smallwood or some of the slow songs from Kirk  Bach is still around!
He has played such a crazy major part in the developement! Crzy thing tho: He wasnt respected when he was alive! His brother and his Son were far more known but Bach just kept writing like crazy! He was truly humble in my opinion! Cuz he knew what he did and that that was something new but still didnt proclaimed as that! Thats also something we can learn! As Salomon said: there is nothing new.......

;)
Stay in the Pocket of GOD!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 04:58:34 PM »
Let me say this,

I have experienced both.  I have in my young stage of getting things together on the kit played licks from the secular in gospel music along with a full band.  One thing that will say is that it distracts the listener from the message, to the music.  That should never be the case.  The weight of the music should uphold the message, not start a new message or thought process. 

One thing about God, he will give you the art of creation if you dilligently seek it. 

How do we go about fishing for souls musicaly?  Would you catch the fish in a secure or insecure net?  Which do you prefer and why?  How do you define security? 

Well spoken bruh! Much respect. Teach it like He gave it to you.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2008, 09:59:48 PM »
Christian musicians should not recycle themes from the WORLD whether they came from the church or not. The reason is because its already been tainted. Example: Making your clean clothes dirty, and putting them back with the clean clothes. If the clothes had minds of their own, would the clean begin to question themselves because the unclean now dwells with them? The bible says let there be a difference BETWEEN clean and unclean. And I am fully aware that I am speaking against something that has been excepted by some mainstream gospel artist and musicians, but HOLINESS is still right. We have a connection from on high which no other style of music carries. That's why gospel artist and musicians can sing and play many different styles. But, have you ever noticed that no matter how hard some secular artist try, they never make it in gospel music like they did in the world. Why? When you answer this question, you will then answer why licks and loops shouldn't be taken from the world and put in gospel music.

Man even tho I like your drumming I cant agree with you on this one.....You're giving more power to Satan and you dont even know it!!! Isnt God bigger and more powerful then Satan!? We all know the answer; Yes!!!! IF you take something that was meant for evil take it and turn it around for good and use it for the glory of God who has gained the victory!? God!!!!

Your example of: Making your clean clothes dirty, is not a very good one when it comes to this topic! Lets look at this from a spiritual standpoint. If the blood of Jesus has cleansed us, the Holy Spirit  baptised us and has taken away our old man at the point of acceptance , then we are ALL clean (as Christians)(from a Spiritual standpoint NOT human)....Its the spirit man (the heart) that matters!!! If the tune is the same as a secular song but the words and heart are giving praise and honour to God then so what!!!! GOD BE PRAISED BY IT!!!! AND you never know who came off the street heard it and listened even harder to the words because they recognized the tune!!!!!

Lets look at some Church History. We consider Hymns to be some of the most holy praise and worship songs ever!!!! Right!? Even the stanch stuck up white people who feel that our music is all that noisy jungle music LOVES their hymns....Let me teach you something. The tunes for hymns came from the popular music of the era, its even said that some of the tunes for hymns came from old drunken tavern (bar) songs...The reason for this was so the people going to Church could ALL sing along and participate in the worship service!!! Again another good example of the unholy being used and made Holy!!!

Now if what you're saying is true then you need to stop celebrating Christmas and Easter; Christmas December 25th was the "Victory of the Sun-God" Festival in the pagan Babylonian world. In the ancient Roman Empire, the celebration can be traced back to the Roman festival Saturnalia, which honored Saturn, the harvest god, and Mithras, the god of light; both were celebrated during or shortly after the winter solstice (between the 17th and 23rd of December). To all ancient pagan civilizations, December 25th was the birthday of the gods -- the time of year when the days began to lengthen and man was blessed with a "regeneration of nature." Moreover, all of December 25th's Babylonian and Roman festivals were characterized by 5-7 day celebration periods of unrestrained or orgiastic revelry and licentiousness.

Easter; Easter is not a Christian name. It is Chaldean (Babylonian) in origin - the name Astarte, one of the titles of Beltis, the queen of heaven. The name Astarte, as found on the Assyrian monuments by the noted archeologist Layard, was the name Ishtar. The worship of Bel and Astarte was introduced very early into Britain, along with the Druids, "the priests of the groves," the high places where the pagans worshipped the idols of Baal. In the Almanac of the 1800's, May 1st is called Beltane, from the pagan god, Bel. The titles Bel and Molech both belong to the same god. Sunrise services are for the worship of the Pagan Sun god - ONLY! Jesus was resurrected while it was still DARK!

John 20:1, 1.The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

So please rethink!!!!!

Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 02:43:55 AM »
stuff...

*Puts popcorn down again...*

Who is this and what have you done with BBD!!!

E.R.

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 07:11:10 AM »
I'm with fre on this one!!! That definitely is NOT BBD talking!
 ?/?

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2008, 07:31:27 AM »
Copy and paste works wonders, eh?
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2008, 07:47:43 AM »
       We as musicians cannot lie on our instruments.  When we play, our influences (secular or non-secular) come out.  Even in your attempt to praise God, you cant hide it.  Your motive will justify your actions.  If you implement a secular lick or loop because it sounds good and it makes sense musically, then the spirit of the people should recognize it as that.  (John P Kee does this very well.)  If you do it to try to get the attention of the un-saved (young and old) then I believe youre on the wrong track.  You dont use the Devil's cheese to catch the Devil's mice.  You use the Word.  We have to use wisdom.  Keep your actions pure.  Keep it Holy.  I think YPJ is a perfect example of this method of "reaching out."

Offline stickyoutlaw

• LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2008, 08:14:28 AM »

lol, i was thinking the same thing!

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »
      We as musicians cannot lie on our instruments.  When we play, our influences (secular or non-secular) come out.  Even in your attempt to praise God, you cant hide it.  Your motive will justify your actions.  If you implement a secular lick or loop because it sounds good and it makes sense musically, then the spirit of the people should recognize it as that.  (John P Kee does this very well.)  If you do it to try to get the attention of the un-saved (young and old) then I believe youre on the wrong track.  You dont use the Devil's cheese to catch the Devil's mice.  You use the Word.  We have to use wisdom.  Keep your actions pure.  Keep it Holy.  I think YPJ is a perfect example of this method of "reaching out."

Amen

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »

Or a college education in theology!!! We all arnt ghetto!!!!!

E.R.

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2008, 07:04:25 PM »
Or a college education in theology!!! We all arnt ghetto!!!!!

lol!   :D :D :D

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2008, 07:15:58 PM »
Its only the truth, its only the truth.  ;D

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2008, 07:35:38 PM »
Yeah but doesn't mean you couldn't have copy & pasted. ;D

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2008, 08:16:01 PM »
And, here is the directlink to your plagiarized non reference cited paragraph about Christmas: http://www.swrb.com/newslett/freebook/holyday.htm

Don't try me, dawg.  Try to clown and you get clowned. 

;D

In college, that's called plagiarism.  They'll expel you for that. 

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2008, 08:18:57 PM »
Here's the second non cited reference about Easter: http://apologetics.group.stumbleupon.com/forum/66093/10/

Offline Latanyua

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • LSG

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Romans 12:2

Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. I John 2:15

We know the most creative person in the world, why we would need to copy the world when we could just ask for some inspiration?
It's Me, It's Me, It's LSG!

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2008, 08:56:06 PM »
Musical Progression have been used and re-used/created and re-created, to make a broad statement and say that any certain musical progression definately has to be secular or a certain cadence, rhythm alone is secular...I don't understand how that could be done?...unless, as I said before, IMHO...you would have to look at the entire content of a song and determine whether the music, licks, rhythm...etc., is "enhancing" and "conveying" a secular message through the lyrics.

It's true that rhythms and music can create a feeling of happiness, sadness, joy to dance or anger, etc., but the underlying key factor is the message/lyrics and the intent of the song (it is the only real way to truly deduce the artist intent/heart...of the world or to Glorify God). 

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2008, 08:58:59 PM »
Good viewpoint, cas10a.  Really good...

Offline rtadrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2008, 09:00:34 PM »
Wow, this is generating great discussion. Allow me to drop my 2 cents. First of all, i think using the music of the world shows lack of creativity as a christian. Can't we get our own stuff? Secondly,when people hear stuff from the world (which kirk franklin is famous for) they only think of the secular song that it was from, not the gospel song..........and they start laughing at us. God gave us creativity, lets use it. Why can't the world hear a gospel song and be attracted instead of we using the world's stuff?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up