LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: another lil john solo  (Read 5813 times)

another lil john solo
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2005, 06:01:36 PM »
I don't know your boy! I might of been taking the wrong way with my comment. But again like I said your boy is techincal ( that mean he can play he got chops ).  :lol:

another lil john solo
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2005, 06:20:03 PM »
congohead,

never that bruh I can hold my own! You must be young because number one, I don't have to agree with you. # two, there is room for everyone in the business even if I was playing a bucket I can find work!  :wink: That clip was helpful by the way I'm studying it myself! It was my first time finding out about him.
Not that I have to go there, but I'm saved bro! Tell me how my opinion was un Godly! If you post a clip of your playing, bet you someone might like it or not , right :)

Offline congahead

• LGM Member
    • http://

another lil john solo
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2005, 06:58:31 PM »
tayedrumguy,

I don't understand your reply to my post. I never told you to agree with me, I never that there isn't enough room for cats in the business. As a matter of fact I never even said you could hold your own. I don't know maybe you do have more chops than Bruce Lee and maybe you are really nasty. All I am saying is that it sounded as though you were kind of hating on lil jon. Again I'm not saying you were but it seemed that way. I was hoping you didn't miss understand my point. From the posts that I have read, it seems like alot of us have an uderstanding of how important pocket is. We are not saying oh, if you don't do a trick you suck no, no, no. As a matter of fact ?uestlove gets much respect from this forum. We love pocket and we love flash, we appreciate both.

Michael Jordan is one of the most prolific basketball players in history. He helped to bring his sport to another dimension. He could have come out and just shot the ball all day, do a couple of layups here and there but, he would not have been the MJ most of us know and love. He dunked jumping from the foul line, he tossed fancy passes across the court, he had his toungue hanging out the side of his mouth. He helped add color to the game, he brought diverse basketball. He knew there was a time to shoot the rock, a time for dunking and all that.

It is truly o.k. to come out when the time and feel is right. A solo is a solo. I know i'm not gonna rock a groove through out my solo. That's your chance to add a little more color to the canvas. If the MD syays open up, That's what he wants you to do. Trust me if your rocking with a hot, well rounded HD he will tell you when you need to pull back. That's all I'm saying.

Offline ikickset81

• LGM Member

another lil john solo
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2005, 08:01:42 PM »
tayedrumguy must not know about lil john roberts. yeah he must know how to keep money in his pockets playing for janet, musiq, and tons of jazz artists. go buy the janet velvet rope dvd. man lil john is a very, very pocket player. but when its time for him to open up, he can do it very well. he is not to be slept on.

another lil john solo
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2005, 08:11:42 PM »
congahead,

my reply was from what you were talking about on the first page. The reason why I said there room in the business, both pocket and soloist get their's. I don't know lil jon, he's good bruh. I was saying cats in this forum seems to be all about flash& chops. Its all good! I'm sorry bruh much love  :lol: !

I didn't mean to pis anyone off in this forum. I was just going against the grain to hear cats opinions! I feel this forum is 98% flashers and 2% pockets cats. Your can tell how this guys just only blow up calvin rodgers!And now chris coleman( come on ) you feel me!

How many time you went to a church and the drummer start add licks and you were think dude just play the song? :lol:

Offline congahead

• LGM Member
    • http://

another lil john solo
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2005, 10:49:47 PM »
Oh no doubt! I feel you and I say it all the time. When I first started reading these posts I was like, " yo, fellas there is an element to playing that a few of us drummers call pocket." I was like what cats like Jeff Davis, ?uestlove etc. I feel you a hundred percent on the pocket thing. I'm always preaching pocket to all the young drummers here in the Bean. It just seemed as though you were getting on lil Jon and I couldn't understand it    because that's what that portion of the song was all about, Lil Jon opening up. It's all love Taye and I really respect you alot more for stating your case and sticky to it. I truly respect that.  :)  FRIENDS?

Offline PGC

• LGM Member

When Lil John was really "Little".
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2005, 09:15:22 AM »
When I read some of the comments of this chat session, I decided to chime-in and provide some ground work for the Cat being discussed.
      I have had the pleasure of knowing John since the early 90's when he was about 17 (at the time he had already worked with Joey DeFrancesco and Brandford Marsalis). Even at the age of 17 he we was being requested by many of the top artists in Philadelphia.
      At the time John was the drummer for the Penn Gospel Choir, which consisted of some great musicians including Steven Ford, James Poyser and Eddie White.  I had the opportunity to watch John do some things that, to this day, I still cannot believe. John then attended Berklee College of Music in Boston (Belive me, he knows about staying in the pocket) and has grown in a complete drummer.
      John has worked with some of the top artists in the industry, including:
Richard Elliot, Marc Antoine, George Benson, Everette Harp, The Dramatics, Barry White, Bob Baldwin, Ramsey Lewis, Will Smith, George Duke, Janet Jackson, Musiq, Peter Lorber, Norman Brown, Rachelle Ferrell, Steven Ford and James Poyser.
       John has also designed his own drum stick, The Lil' John Robert's Philly Style by Vater.  http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=153Peace and Blessings

Joro

another lil john solo
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2005, 02:18:21 PM »
Lil John is all pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin

• LGM Member
  • "Music has the power to shape character"

Here it is.....
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2005, 06:41:58 PM »
Man look, it is difference between studio and live, and Lil John Roberts can do both.  You can tell he is a clean drummer by just listening to his fills within the groove.  If somebody is given you a solo live on the drums, and the band is throwing those hits at you, you betta grab everyone of them.  Especially when you are just in a band setting with no singers.  The floor was open, and he danced his socks off!  I think that your ears Mr.Tayedrummer just are not accustomed to listening to fills like that over hits like that! 8)
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

Offline eversoclear

• LGM Member

another lil john solo
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2005, 09:42:50 PM »
Let me say this I understand what your saying tayedrumguy, my purpose for exposing the clip was for the purpose of entertainment, to show off some of lil john's many skills, I agree totally about the pocket and how that is the most important thing, Believe me I do! But again my purpose of the clip was not to show the pocket side of his playing but the solo ability and that was only the tip of the ice berg. Lil john is actually about or around your age tayedrumguy and believe me he knows the importance of the pocket and time. You should find the magazine from Modern Drummer that featured him and had a interview, he stated numerous times about how the pocket is home everything else is iceing on the cake. Again I think you missed the point of the clip, Sure we can post clips of songs just showing the groove of a drummer and that's it, but we all are facinated by the ability of others. I think any drummer in here who loves music and loves to play and wants a gig or wants to keep a gig knows the importance of the pocket. Just take the clip for what it was called A SOLO.

Joro

another lil john solo
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2005, 10:44:32 AM »
does anyone know when this clip was taken? I know it's from the Kevin Griffin band, but when???

Offline bomani

• LGM Member
    • http://myspace.com/datanimal

another lil john solo
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2005, 08:40:38 PM »
that boy is SICK.....

another lil john solo
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2005, 08:26:05 PM »
Duvals lil johnLumpkin I make my living from playing bruh. I'm raising a family with 3. So, I understand hit and punches!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up