LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When is it time to move on?  (Read 1540 times)

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

When is it time to move on?
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
What do you do when you don't feel appreciated at the church you play for? I've been playing for this church for 2 1/2 years never received a pay check, an offering  they don't even have an musician appreciation service. When i bring up the money issues they give me that old played out line that all of us musician hear, "when the church grows then we can start paying you" that's like me saying "when my pay check grows that's when i'll start paying my tithes and offering" the said part is this is not my home church...what should i do? should i move on?     

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

Re: When is it time to move on?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
Depends on where you are in your musical growth and where you want to be.  Early on I played at churches I did not attend and received no pay.  That was okay with me because I was learning how to be a church musician and how to react to change on the fly.  Once I became confident that I was sharp enough to play for pay, I started just playing at churches willing to pay for my services.  The one exception is I still play for free at my home church.

So if you are playing at a church that is not your own and you are not getting paid and not learning anything that fits your plan as a musician, now might be the time to leave.

Just curious....do you have the opportunity to play at your home church?

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »
Thanks for your feed back malthumb, I've been playing bass for about 7 years and i would consider  myself an intermediate player if i'm asked to learn a song from a cd that's no problem for me. I've had offer to play at other churches for pay as a matter of fact there's a church i visit every now and then and when i do they give me a $50.00 offering every time! and they are much smaller then the church i play for. The musicians at my home church are getting paid and the bass player there is the pastor son and he's been playing there ever since he dad became the pastor there so i don't get a Chance to play there.

I just feel like i put in so much time there and i would feel guilty for leaving but i really don't feel appreciated there. They are always asking for offering for this that and the other and the members give it. but nothing for me not even money for gas, lunch,birthday, Christmas my wife and i just had a baby last year nothing! not one red cent.

Offline Bass Man For GOD

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »
I play at my home church for free and wherever else I am needed or go and there isn't a bass player. My opinion is, I WILL NOT charge to play simply because I can not charge God for what he has blessed me with and that is talent. I look for a blessing from God not from people. It does say "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse(Malachi 3:10)........" GOD will provide for you, my brother!!!! Don't lay down talent and bury it because God might give it to somebody else.

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:27:21 AM »
I play at my home church for free and wherever else I am needed or go and there isn't a bass player. My opinion is, I WILL NOT charge to play simply because I can not charge God for what he has blessed me with and that is talent. I look for a blessing from God not from people. It does say "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse(Malachi 3:10)........" GOD will provide for you, my brother!!!! Don't lay down talent and bury it because God might give it to somebody else.
Thanks for your feed back bass man for god, It's not charging God for my talent. When God bless you he bless you through "people" you have musicians that play r&b, jazz,pop etc... and their talent come from God and they get paid for there time and talent. Its not all about the money for me but come on, show me some love! they have a pastor,anniversary,pastor's birthday service, and the pastor receive a salary from the church. When i'm invited to play at other church i never ask for money they just give me a love offering and i feel appreciated and i'm fine with that.

AFTER 2 1/2 YEARS...COME ON SHOW A BROTHER SOME LOVE!

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 07:42:12 AM »
As i'm posting right now i receive an email reminding me about the outing the church has tonight and they want me to be at the church an hour before we go out so we can go over the music... I feel like they are taking advantage of me i can stay home and play with some cd and be blessed. 

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »
As i'm posting right now i receive an email reminding me about the outing the church has tonight and they want me to be at the church an hour before we go out so we can go over the music... I feel like they are taking advantage of me i can stay home and play with some cd and be blessed.

Even if it is true that they are taking advantage of you, now is not the time to make a stand.  If you are a part of the music ministry that is to perform tonight, you need to deliver on that responsibility.

But you do have to decide if this is something you want to remain committed to and advise them accordingly as soon as you have made such a decision.

Whether a musician wants / needs to be paid for services is a personal thing, combined with the culture of the church being serviced.  Some churches pay well and demand a lot.  Some churches take whatever they get and just want somebody who'll show up.  Others project an air suggesting they think you owe them for the privilege to be seen in their sanctuary.  Your gifts may very well come from God, but they are yours to develop and hone and yours to share in the manner you deem most appropriate.  If you are willing to play for no pay, go for it.  If you think you should be paid, ask for it.

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline waveofthinking

• LGM Member
  • "With God all things are possible"-Matthew 19:26

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:04:17 AM »
Others project an air suggesting they think you owe them for the privilege to be seen in their sanctuary.
I just left a church like this where the director would make it feel like she was doing us a favor by allowing us to play...
Never again!!..lol.
"When the pupil is ready, the master will appear".

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »
I have been away from my church for months because I moved temporarily. I wasnt too happy with the music department when I left as a support musician. I went home for the week and nothing much has changed other than the music is more contemporary. I know when I move back that I may be in the same situation. At this point in my life I could possibly change churches but I doubt my wife would want to. I most likely will try to lay low at first and play out than get more involved to end up in the same frustration. If I have to leave though I will leave although I like being a part of the church organization Im in. Im learning more church life is what you make it than what happens. If you want change and the church is not going to change then maybe its time to move on. I would also say dont be to quick to jump into another ministry without checking it out for a while. You could end up in the same place.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
I agree with malthumb

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
I've been gone for two weeks and i don't regret it!! i felt like i was being pimped at this church.
Pages: [1]   Go Up