LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LGM's Own GC Drum Off 2012 Grand Champion: MENDOZA  (Read 3483 times)

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

LGM's Own GC Drum Off 2012 Grand Champion: MENDOZA
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
...congrats to MENDOZA for winning the 2012 Guitar Center Drum Off Competion.  Quite an impressive performance and a ridiculous composition.  Months of hard work have payed off my man. ($25,000 and lots of other extras) lol  Proud of you brother!

Guitar Center Drum-Off 2012 Champion Juan Carlos Mendoza
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Re: LGM's Own GC Drum Off 2012 Grand Champion: MENDOZA
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:21:27 AM »
Man, that was awesome!

Congrats!!
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:44:28 PM »
MANNN, this was the best GC drum-offs battles from a Champ I've seen! You deserve to win, bro! Great performance!

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member
  • Some of the best playing that I've ever heard!
    • www.myspace.com/juancarlosmendoza

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
What can I say, but thank you to all!!!!!  I am super humbled and blessed that this has happened.  Most of you know that I have been trying for a long time and let me just say I am thankful for losing in 2008.  It took me a long time to realize that it wasn't the right time.  My life wasn't right with Christ, I would have been married to the wrong person, etc.  God knows what He is doing.  I am at a great point in my life right now, have a great fiance, have a great teaching career, and am just humbled.  The one thing I want to say is keep true to His will and great things will happen.  I may not be perfect, but this contest has taught me to let go of my will and rely on His will.  It's truly eye opening and I am super humbled.  Thanks for the love throughout the years LGM!!  Much love!

Carlito

Offline MissMusic04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:09 AM »
^^^^ Awesome!

Wow! Congrats!!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
Congrats Mendoza!!!!!

I am sorry for the late response but I thank you for inspiring me to keep pushing. Thanks so much for the access during the process. I knew that this was your year!

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:04:22 PM »
Wow...congratulations.....may God continue to open doors for you....Stay blessed, Nate J.

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »
Mr. Mendoza is doing it big...he is now endorsed by Meinl cymbals....congratulations doc....stay blessed, Nate J.

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 09:00:35 AM »
Mr. Mendoza is doing it big...he is now endorsed by Meinl cymbals....congratulations doc....stay blessed, Nate J.

Thanks Nate!!!!!  Yes I signed with Meinl and a couple of other companies as well.  I am PROUDLY endorsing Meinl Cymbals, Meinl Percussion, Remo Drumheads, Vic Firth Sticks, and DW drums. Super happy with these companies.  They are all like family and received me with open arms. It's definitely been a blessing.  Also working on a couple of other companies as well.  Just waiting to hear.  All in all keep God first and keep pushing LGM family!!  If you ever need to talk to me hit me up!

Carlito

www.youtube.com/jmensticks
twitter: carlito_dozer
instagram: carlito_dozer
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/juan.mendoza.16

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
Awesome, simply awesome. You deserve it man, keep up the good work! :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »
It's been a minute since I logged in here.

I was on Youtube and saw the winner of the 2012 GC DrumOff was Mendoza. I immediately high-tailed it over here, 'cause I knew it'd be posted.

Congratulations, man.

I can see significant improvement, so I know you worked really hard for this accomplishment.

As my mother loves to say, 'It's good to see a plan come together".

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
...congrats on the endorsements dude!  ;)

...oh snap!  Its Div! 
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline D-Nice

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 08:54:28 PM »
MENDOZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bro that was the DOPEST Drum off performance i've ever seen in my life. YOU ABSOLUTELY KILLED IT!!!!!!!

That performance is a game changer for me. Incredible bro. I am so proud of ya man.

Question, what did you specifically do to help you attain your 4way independance on the drums?..and Which drummer do you study the most?

dnewman@concordDallas.org   hit me up please.

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »
MENDOZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bro that was the DOPEST Drum off performance i've ever seen in my life. YOU ABSOLUTELY KILLED IT!!!!!!!

That performance is a game changer for me. Incredible bro. I am so proud of ya man.

Question, what did you specifically do to help you attain your 4way independance on the drums?..and Which drummer do you study the most?

dnewman@concordDallas.org   hit me up please.

I worked on a few things.  First, I worked on playing whatever groove I knew putting the hi-hat part on the ride cymbal (or x-hat if available) and getting my left foot moving in quarters, eighths, off beats, "e's and a's," etc.  Once I kind of got that down, I picked up Gary Chester's book New Breed and that was a game changer for me.  If you're not familiar with New Breed here's the basic concept: (1) You memorize a system that's written (later on I came up with my own), (2) You read the "reading exercises" (which are long and add an extra level of concentration), (3) Assign the remaining limb that is not playing to the reading exercise.  (4) You're suppose to sing the part while you play it as well, which technically will be 5 way independence.  That's how I started my journey.  After that I got exposed to Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez and it was all over for me LOL.

I got hold of his book and he introduces the clave in 2 and in 6.  You go through each permutation limb by limb.  So for example, the first thing you do is learn the clave on the left hand and play the exercise(melody) on your right hand.  Once you go through that, you go through it will your right hand playing the clave on the right hand and left hand playing the melody (exercise).  Then you start adding the hi hat to the mix while doing the same thing.  What's crazy is even though you've played the exercises plenty of times, as soon as you add a limb, your brain doesn't function normally or make the connection and your coordination will get thrown off.

Remember that independence not only deals with coordination.  It is important to understand that independence is also an aural aspect.  You need to be able to hear ALL the parts at the same time to make  sense of the coordination.  Finally be PATIENT!!!!!!  It's a long process, but very rewarding.  It's like learning to read.  You learn the letters first and then you start to combine those letters to make words, words then become sentences, and sentence become paragraphs.  Then after all is said and done you can tell a story.  So patience is key!  Take care and God Bless.

Carlito

jmensticks@hotmail.com

p.s. if you ever have any questions hit me up on my email address.  I will get back you as soon as I can. 

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »
That's huge! Congradulations!
Pages: [1]   Go Up