LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to figure "It" out!  (Read 782 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

How to figure "It" out!
« on: February 21, 2013, 01:12:41 PM »
Hi guys back here with another thread. And I know I ask so many questions on here, but I'm a beginner that is what beginners do - ask questions! T block or Gtrdave I need your help. Im having trouble on how to pickup what chord progression is being used in any song. Like in a song I heard a I - ii chord progression. Which is rare and frustrating to me because I never thought a I chord can move to a ii chord. I guess I were caught off guard - not thinking! The only thought that comes to my mind is that when a I-IV chord progression is active the ii chord can substitue for that IV chord making the chord progression I - ii chord progression Tonic - Subdominant. But then the song goes to the V chord which is even more rare and frustrating to me. Now we have a I-ii-V < who ever heard of a I-ii-V but then again the only way it works is if this was a I-IV-V then a ii chord can be substitued for the IV chord making this chord progression a I-ii-V. But to me it looks like a ii-V-i backwards. Does anyone agree? Or am I missing something here?

Thank you for taking the time to view my thread

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

Re: How to figure "It" out!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
Please walk dog!

Please walk, dog!

Two very different phrases. A small break in the phrase can change everything. And thats what I presume is happening with your progression. Some progressions are about where you're going; not where you came from. The progression isnt a I-ii. Its probably a ii-V-I, preceded by a I. For sake of consistency maybe its I, ii-V-I.

Aside from that, it is permissible for chords to go up or down, especially by steps
 of course Im not TBlock or Gtrdave though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up