LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: im new to the site and i need some help  (Read 3635 times)

Offline JpBlakejr04

• LGM Member

im new to the site and i need some help
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:00:56 AM »
my church gave me this last sunday and ask me to sign it what should i do?

Offline JpBlakejr04

• LGM Member

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

Re: im new to the site and i need some help
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »
...if you want to participate, sign.  That's how I see it.  They're going to have to come up in pay though.  MHO

...did the other musicians get the same Contract?
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline JpBlakejr04

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 11:36:27 PM »
Yes they did get the same contrat

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:43:32 AM »
That's a lot expected for $50. All services plus rehearsal and special events. I could understand $50 per service. Personally I would not sign a contract like that but in general I try to avoid contracts even though I don't play out much. 
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 02:25:30 AM »
Yeah,,,I think some drummers would get $50 per event....(or am I thinking of keyboardists/organists)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »
Yeah,,,I think some drummers would get $50 per event....(or am I thinking of keyboardists/organists)
Keyboardists usually get more than $50 an event unless you dont get paid or you take whatever is offered. I just see where the details of that contract can cause trouble later on then people will start questioning your character if you dont live up to it. It would be different if the amount equaled the level of service they are asking for.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »
Welcome to the working world.

I think the "salary" is way low for the amount of work involved and expected/required by this service agreement. However this may be as much as this ministry's financial stewardship can see able to budget. It appears that either they are trying to keep their business/ministry side in order and possibly have been burned in the past. Time for you to look-up some books on musician contracts, investigate your local musicians union chapter and in even look for an entertainment attorney in your area (even look at Pre-Paid Legal for one). Seek wise counsel.

I think this agreement should include the musician finding his/her fill-in in case they are not able to make an engagement or rehearsal. I think that the compensation for said fill-in should be defined as well toward amounts and who is financially responsible to said fill-in.

Understand that being a working musician you are considered an independent contractor (unless you are a legitimate full-fledged band/group member) and can therefore negotiate your contract and even issue your own service contract. You are also responsible for filing a 1099 tax form which should be given to you by the client-contractor.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
I have to pay $50.00 to fill up my tank with gas sometimes.  That's not very much these days.  However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with letting an "employee" know what is expected. Its just business.  Sometimes people receiving a small amount think they don't have to be reliable and that anything they do is ok. You really want even a volunteer to be regular and reliable.  Nothing wrong with letting them know thats what you want, even if you are reduced to taking what you get.  I don't think I would be disturbed at receiving such a contract.  I would just consider that they had placed the ball in my court. I could play it or not.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »
I have to pay $50.00 to fill up my tank with gas sometimes.  That's not very much these days.  However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with letting an "employee" know what is expected. Its just business.  Sometimes people receiving a small amount think they don't have to be reliable and that anything they do is ok. You really want even a volunteer to be regular and reliable.  Nothing wrong with letting them know thats what you want, even if you are reduced to taking what you get.  I don't think I would be disturbed at receiving such a contract.  I would just consider that they had placed the ball in my court. I could play it or not.
Its cool to do it but someone could easily take advantage of the situation. He or she still has the option to quit but then you stand the chance of being labelled. That wouldnt have been smart at my home church. We have services Sunday morning and night then tues-fri. Choir rehearsal is on Saturday. Then there are the engagements outside of this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up