LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working With "Singers" In Church  (Read 2757 times)

Offline ozzie66

• LGM Member

Working With "Singers" In Church
« on: April 11, 2013, 07:43:55 AM »
Hello,

I am new to learn gospel music website, i've been reading a few topics here and there but haven't posted yet.  I've been playing for around a year and half learning blues and jazz as I learned they are foundations to modern gospel.  I normally play the lead guitar and drums sometimes at my church but recently started playing the piano as well due to our main pianist moving on.   

I'm very comfortable with theory and most can transpose to almost all the keys (B & F# tend to be quite annoying keys to play in)

However yesterday I had a serious issue during practice, singers who refused to sing in the original key of a song.  Literally all songs had to be transposed which turned out to be a disaster to my ears as I was having to rewrite all the lead sheets.   For example, 10,000 reason a song by matt redaman is written in the key of G however when the singers started singing, they ended up in the Key of C.  What made no sense is that when they started singing with the CD version, they ended up singing on the key.  My dilemma  now is do i force them to learn the songs in the original key by refusing to transpose seeing as they showed that they can sing in the original key or do i back down and have to change all 8 songs.

Also, I must note that the singers are all not musically trained and their practice time is far and few between.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Working With "Singers" In Church
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »
Wait, did they start a capella? If not, how in the world did they end up in C instead of G?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline ozzie66

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »
That's the thing, I gave them the intro in G and they still ended up in C. :(

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
That's the thing, I gave them the intro in G and they still ended up in C. :(

That's crazy.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline sheelytee

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 06:05:44 PM »
a simple thing that you can do is talk to them about how they are anointed to sing.  This drops their guard because love is in operation.  Next thing you want to do is encourage them to grow by letting them know that you want them to know what you know.  If you are a giving teacher who walks in love, they will respond.  finally, if you can, let them sing along with the CD while you play along with it.  Fade the CD and keep playing, this trains their ear for both key, pitch and your playing style.  Finish with more praise of how awesome they did, but not enough to blow up an ego.
satan attacks in music. if there is a way for him to get into a church, he will, but love overcomes all things.  Scripture tells us that Jesus was moved with compassion (which is love in action), therefore, you have to do the same thing.  Instead of telling them what they can't become overnight, show them who they've always been since the beginning of creation, and that's Children of the Most High God who are fearfully and wonderfully made and that God their father wants to hear from them.

Stay blessed.

sammist

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:37:41 AM »
Give them the scale training on the key G...let the practice it before going to the song

choirlist

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 02:53:36 AM »
I agree with everyone.

You definitely want to work them during the allotted rehearsal slots and iron out any problems with not singing in key during that time. If they still struggle with staying on key most cell phones have voice recording options you might want to have them record parts of rehearsal for playback at a later date. You can also visit choirlist.com they may have a vocal recording of just the alto soprano tenor track of the song. You can download it and have them listen to it. Either way working with all Gods kids can be a lil frustrating at times but be not weary in well doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up