LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm a New Choir Director.. any advice  (Read 3515 times)

Ms. Blue

I'm a New Choir Director.. any advice
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:26:01 AM »
Hey All!!

I'm still getting use to posting on here but you all have been so helpful to me, so THANK YOU!! I have been soloist for the past 21 years. I've been singing in the choir for the past 23 years. A choir president for 10 years and now our choir director had to leave because she became the first lady at another church.  I was appointed the choir director by my pastor and have very minimal experience on how to do this. The most challenging part is not having a musician and although the Lord blessed me with a voice, he skipped me when he gave out gifts on instruments  ;D ;D ;D. Do you all have any advice for me.  I appreciate your help. I'm not completely lost just need suggestions.  THANKS!!!

Offline JoanHall

• LGM Member
    • My gospel choir web pages

Re: I'm a New Choir Director.. any advice
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
Hi!  Welcome to choir directing!

Here are two articles you can look at:
God Bless!

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
Good advice, Joan...

I visited a church last Sunday - had instruments, but no musicians.
The choir did all their songs acapella; hand claps and tambourine helped.
Then a soloist came up and sang to tracks...

Ms. Blue

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
Good advice, Joan...

I visited a church last Sunday - had instruments, but no musicians.
The choir did all their songs acapella; hand claps and tambourine helped.
Then a soloist came up and sang to tracks...

That sounds like my church.. we use performance tracks for the choir and when I sing solo's. My concern is more so to help with warm ups and things of that nature. We have been without a musician for a while so i'm used to that part.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »
A slow worship song (like ALLELUIA or one of Israel Houghton's) is a good unison warm-up for choir. If you can encourage them to do parts after the first verse, even better...then if they are up to it, try a more traditional exercise, like scales or "Mee, May, Mah, Mo, Mu"

Ms. Blue

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:20:05 PM »
A slow worship song (like ALLELUIA or one of Israel Houghton's) is a good unison warm-up for choir. If you can encourage them to do parts after the first verse, even better...then if they are up to it, try a more traditional exercise, like scales or "Mee, May, Mah, Mo, Mu"

Thanks very much

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
That sounds like my church.. we use performance tracks for the choir and when I sing solo's. My concern is more so to help with warm ups and things of that nature. We have been without a musician for a while so i'm used to that part.

You can use ANYTHING to warm up a choir.  I mean,  you can take a song that you sang last Sunday,  and use it as a warm up song next rehearsal; especially if there's something you thought could go better than it did on Sunday.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Ms. Blue

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »
thanks sjonathan02
Pages: [1]   Go Up