LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how can I do better?  (Read 2483 times)

Offline holyplaya

• LGM Member

how can I do better?
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:12:49 PM »
I do have a couple of examples of me playing... I will admit I'm not great but I do worship while I play.. here is a link to our churches website... http://lighthouseworshipcenter.net/music/ .. the first three videos under choir has me in it playing the tenor saxophone.. I try to play at the end of phrases, gaps, intros sometimes, endings, and if the music gets crazy. I do tend to over-do it sometimes I also have a problem blasting not on purpose but I can't tell when I'm playing too loud.. I'm learning.. lol any advice is appreciated

Also as a note.. I don't play by ear well so I usually take the main key of the song and transpose it by playing one step higher so if the key is C I play D

Offline holyplaya

• LGM Member

Re: how can I do better?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback I try to mimic kirk Wilhelm he is the sax player I look up to..lol  my roots are in jazz I think alto will be better then my tenor on most songs it seems the lower octave is too low so I keep to the upper octave I'll mess with the lower octave to see if I can make it work ... my alto is almost ready.. :) would playing with CDs help?

Offline holyplaya

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 01:08:12 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback... its nice to get an opinion .. I think my biggest fault is I have a hard time playing by ear do you think playing with CDs will improve that aspect? For the moment all I do is take the main key of the song and play one step higher, but it doesn't seem to work all the time thanks for all your help

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
It certainly can't hurt. The more practice you can get the better, I say.

I think you've got the right idea about transposing the key of a song, from what I know of transposing instruments. I just recently found out last year that they actually have "C" trumpets and Saxophones, which would make it way easier to follow sheet music for non-transposing instruments.

It sounds like you are in the right key, just hitting some flubbed notes sometimes. We all do that. Also, I'm not trying to make myself out to be a professional or expert or anything. It can take years to develop an ear to the point where you feel comfortable in your ability to pick out anything on the fly. Maybe you should try printing out some sheet music with licks for the songs you guys play. It never hurts to be prepared ahead of time.
C saxophone is more of a novelty, rather than a horn that you would play seriously

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:12:42 PM »
Sounds like there is some acoustic issues going on in the clips. I would be surprised if you guys can hear yourselves good up there. I really couldnt hear you good because of so much bass. I switched headphones to a smaller set and I still cant hear you to clear. There is too much bass.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up