LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rehearsals  (Read 4636 times)

blyempowered

Rehearsals
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »
I have a few questions:

1. How many rehearsals does your choir/praise team have before singing Sunday?

2. What are the pros and cons of having 1 rehearsal vs 2 rehearsals (generally speaking)?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe one of our LGM members goes to a church that only has one rehearsal. I'm thinking about proposing to our music ministry leadership team (choir presidents) we do one rehearsal potentially on Thursday or Saturday and in that system it would be like 2 hours. What I'm seeing at times is most people at one rehearsal and a little less than half at the 2nd rehearsal. We primarily have 2 rehearsals for 1) learning new songs and 2) giving people a chance to make at least one rehearsal. Most of the time if we are doing old songs we just have one rehearsal.

What do you think? How do you (particularly ministers of music) all do rehearsals in terms of the amount?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Rehearsals
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:19:05 PM »
IMO, the more rehearsals the better. But not everybody will agree :(

In my experience, most Praise groups and choirs have one rehearsal during the week, then a shorter 'warm-up' right before the service. More people usually show up for the Sunday warm-up than for the weekday practice.

I have tried to structure rehearsals so that people can practice the songs they will sing on Sunday, and also review old songs and learn new ones for the future...

Offline JoanHall

• LGM Member
    • My gospel choir web pages

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:26:50 AM »
At my home church, we have our main rehearsal on Friday nights, at which time we practice the songs we will do that coming Sunday, the songs we will do the Sunday following that, and any new songs or other material we need to work on.

We also have a short practice on Sundays right after service, just going over the songs we will sing the following Sunday.  I would love to have practice right before Sunday service instead of right after, but the downtime between Sunday School and Morning Worship is too short to make that work.

So when the time comes to sing a song in service, we have practiced it 3 times (two Friday nights and one Sunday afternoon).

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:42:50 AM »
At my home church, we have our main rehearsal on Friday nights, at which time we practice the songs we will do that coming Sunday, the songs we will do the Sunday following that, and any new songs or other material we need to work on.

We also have a short practice on Sundays right after service, just going over the songs we will sing the following Sunday.  I would love to have practice right before Sunday service instead of right after, but the downtime between Sunday School and Morning Worship is too short to make that work.

So when the time comes to sing a song in service, we have practiced it 3 times (two Friday nights and one Sunday afternoon).
They could pratice before Sunday school. :D Sunday school attendance would go up. lol
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 07:02:05 AM »
I have a few questions:

1. How many rehearsals does your choir/praise team have before singing Sunday?

2. What are the pros and cons of having 1 rehearsal vs 2 rehearsals (generally speaking)?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe one of our LGM members goes to a church that only has one rehearsal. I'm thinking about proposing to our music ministry leadership team (choir presidents) we do one rehearsal potentially on Thursday or Saturday and in that system it would be like 2 hours. What I'm seeing at times is most people at one rehearsal and a little less than half at the 2nd rehearsal. We primarily have 2 rehearsals for 1) learning new songs and 2) giving people a chance to make at least one rehearsal. Most of the time if we are doing old songs we just have one rehearsal.

What do you think? How do you (particularly ministers of music) all do rehearsals in terms of the amount?

We only have one rehearsal regardless of song choice.  In the case of very old songs, combined with people's schedules, we may have no rehearsal (but that is very rare). 

I don't know that there's an advantage/disadvantage to having more than one (that would depend on one's church and the dedication of its volunteers).

I do know that I would HATE a Saturday rehearsal (mainly because during most of the year that's my only day 'off'.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:02:38 AM »
They could pratice before Sunday school. :D Sunday school attendance would go up. lol

No, it wouldn't, and you KNOW it.  :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:39:59 AM »
If they have a 10am Sunday school, they can do it.  :)

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
In my experience, most Praise groups and choirs have one rehearsal during the week, then a shorter 'warm-up' right before the service.

That's what we do: Thursday night 2 hour rehearsal (including prayer) and then a 1/2 hour run-through before the first service on Sunday.

More people usually show up for the Sunday warm-up than for the weekday practice.

I made it mandatory that if you want to play/sing on Sunday, you will be at Thursday's rehearsal. Too much room for people to abuse the privilege of being on the team otherwise and people just were not musically or even spiritually prepared for the services. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat...
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline KeyofB

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »
I think I'm one of the few people who believes in a moving rehearsal. We actually do whatever day during the week works for everyone, which sometimes can get a little hectic, but it has worked for us.

I also do a warm up  on Sunday mornings before service.

I am not a biggie on the if you don't practice then, you can't sing thing. The reason being is that we have worked up to a level, which most members can jump in from the warm up and we are good.

The second reason is that choir members sitting in the audience isn't really harming them, but it can harm the ministry that Sunday. That is why I work so hard in the beginning to get choir members to be versatile.

I think that whole you do come we don’t need you thing is a power trip.

Just my opinion.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:20:19 PM »
My rehearsals are very simple.

1. Rehearse every thursday at 7:30 (one rehearsal off once a month)
2. No rehearsal equals no singing on sunday
3. Every member will have a copy of the songlist for the entire month.

blyempowered

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 01:30:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses.

What I'm doing right now is getting general feedback from those who participate in our music ministry. Right now if we do old songs we'll definitely do one rehearsal but if we are learning a new song we do two. The system I'm proposing would have rehearsal be 2 hours and if we have the new song downpacked along with the other song (we only sing 2 songs per service) we can start on the new song we plan to sing the next month. From talking to a few people, they like the idea of having 1 long rehearsal vs 2 short rehearsals. The biggest concern is new songs and scheduling (with 2 rehearsals there's an option of making at least 1 of the rehearsals).

So we'll continue to get feedback from those in the choirs before I meet with the choir presidents in which a decision will be made. I'll probably propose a trial period of it with flexibility on whether to do 1 or 2 rehearsals and only doing it for like 2 to 3 months.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
If you are only doing 2 songs per Sunday I would say have rehearsal like 1 to 1 1/2 hours before a week night service and a run through if you have like 30 minutes before Sunday service. This option would boost week night attendance and put it fresh in their mind before service. If you need 2 hours for 2 songs during a rehearsal it sounds like the directors need to come better prepared or get some training. It should not take more than 15 mins to learn the average song. If it does that sounds like not enough time was spent training the choir. btjmo If you do one rehearsal the closer it is to that Sunday would be better. Seeing the choir need 2 hours to learn two songs. Another option would be 1 hour before a week night service and just over 1 hour on another off day. Ive seen rehearsals done in a number of ways over the years.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 12:21:08 PM »
If you are only doing 2 songs per Sunday I would say have rehearsal like 1 to 1 1/2 hours before a week night service and a run through if you have like 30 minutes before Sunday service. This option would boost week night attendance and put it fresh in their mind before service. If you need 2 hours for 2 songs during a rehearsal it sounds like the directors need to come better prepared or get some training. It should not take more than 15 mins to learn the average song. If it does that sounds like not enough time was spent training the choir. btjmo If you do one rehearsal the closer it is to that Sunday would be better. Seeing the choir need 2 hours to learn two songs. Another option would be 1 hour before a week night service and just over 1 hour on another off day. Ive seen rehearsals done in a number of ways over the years.

Uh, that depends on the complexity/wordiness of said song.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »
I would not say wordy songs are average. Many songs have a verse/chorus or possibly another part that has the same melody but there are some that break the mold. I said that because I've seen skilled directors do wonders.  :) I've also learned from my experience that some do not prepare as well as they could. Musicians and directors who do not grow can hold back a music department.

Offline dingster1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • DINGTHING

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 07:48:37 AM »
Our standard is 2 Saturdays/month. August we cancel rehearsals for the month. Since we have a new musician, we alternate with the praise teams so the combined choir can catch a break. Lyrics/youtube videos are emailed to all choir members who are expected to listen to the songs to become familiar.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 08:45:26 AM »
Our standard is 2 Saturdays/month. August we cancel rehearsals for the month. Since we have a new musician, we alternate with the praise teams so the combined choir can catch a break. Lyrics/youtube videos are emailed to all choir members who are expected to listen to the songs to become familiar.
That will cut the time there but it is also funny when certain ones learn the wrong part and you have a hard time getting them to learn their part. :D

blyempowered

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »

This
Pages: [1]   Go Up