LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to learn the basic progressions in context??  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Virtuenow

• LGM Member

I am back at my beginner practices and fighting hard to rise to intermediate. It is a hurdle to learn the basic progressions w/o a context to build upon.  How did everyone else learn the progressions and then apply them to real music?  Perhaps something in the beginning phases helped you...A certain song of each progression or a certain beat??

Offline Virtuenow

• LGM Member

Re: Is there a way to learn the basic progressions in context??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 01:44:43 AM »
Well I decided I will arpeggiate the basic chord practice to help me learn to play/surf the keyboard.  I am always stuck in position one and lose my place if I try to move...So this is an exercise in moving along the keyboard.  I think arpeggios will do it!

Offline Virtuenow

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »
Ok, as far as context: can you name a song that has the 2-5-1 progression? Preferably a popular gospel song.  What about the 7-3-6 prgression?  How about the 3-6-2-5-1 progression?  Could you specify in the song where its being played. 

Offline GospelEngineer

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:21:21 PM »
That can help to an extent but what really helped me was learning different voicings for each progression in every key. So instead of playing simple triads for each chord learning some extended chord voicings and then eventually 2 handed voicings. By the time I had improved my chord library I was able to pick out and hear the progressions in most songs without having to even be on a keyboard.

Offline Virtuenow

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:57:24 PM »
Thanks for answering Gospelengineer!  What does "voicing" mean?  Different inversions?  Or different octaves?  I guess I'm off to look it up?
Pages: [1]   Go Up