LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: voice leading-Corey Henry  (Read 3333 times)

Offline mattdoran2006

• LGM Member

voice leading-Corey Henry
« on: July 08, 2013, 10:50:07 PM »
Cory Henry Improv. - He has Made me glad

any tips on voice leading or playing melody like Corey Henry does?  I know he is a beast of a player...tips? resources? thanks...i am a newbie at gospel music but professional player also...just too much to learn!!!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Re: voice leading-Corey Henry
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
Just watching Corey Henry and Quenell Gaskins I see that they practice jazz and incorporate it into their playing. It also seems to me they really have a handle on basic ideas in playing chords and scales. I would say get some jazz midis and watch the chording and see how it fits in the music you play. To me it looks like they are just putting pieces of their practice routines together.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline kenlacam

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:16 AM »
Both of them also have instructional dvds, which I am considering getting. I am also considering Michael Lloyd, who has a Pentacostal sound as well.
death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 05:45:17 PM »
I was there that night when he recorded that. Everybody was amazed. lol

He said that he listened to a lot of jazz music, and that's where he gets his stuff from. I've even noticed that on some of his YT clips, people will point out the fact that certain patterns were from certain jazz songs. So yeah, you gotta listen to all types of music and learn how to incorporate those little phrases into what you already do. It takes a lot of practice, though.

I have his DVD, but I don't think he taught that style too much in it.  It was still informative though.

Both of them also have instructional dvds, which I am considering getting. I am also considering Michael Lloyd, who has a Pentacostal sound as well.

I like Mike's DVD. I think they are all on sale now for $20 on showmethat.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up