LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A drum brother from down south.  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Funkaddictus_Groovus

• LGM Member

A drum brother from down south.
« on: March 08, 2005, 08:30:08 PM »
Hello everybody.My name is michael and i am a 31 year old pro drummer from Athens,Greece.I am a funk,soul and r'n'b music(and drumming)enthusiast.My love for what we  here in greece generally  refer to as black music is one of the moving forces of my life.As i am a person that likes to research what intrigues me,and tries  to gets to the roots of things i recently discovered this forum and have been a frequent visitor since.
 Some two years ago i read an interview of the incomparable Gerald Heyward in Modern Drummer magazine where he mentioned his gospel background and how moat of today's hip-hop/r'n'b drummers come from the churches.It took me a while but i started getting into gospel music and drumming.Now,don't get me wrong i 've heard gospel music before...in fact,my mother use to play a couple of Mahalia Jackson's records quite often.My dad who is a drummer himself has a well rounded record collection and a large part of it is dedicated to black music.Jazz,mainley but also blues,funk,soul etc.But the thing is ,contemporary gospel is tottally different.How can i put this...it appeals to a much wider audience,even a non-practicing christian(more on that later) not to mention white boys from down south like my self.Of course i understand that its cause remains the same:to get a message across people.But the orcherstrations are more intriguing and complicated,and the drumming???Forget it...I've heard(thanks to this forum mainly)some of the most grooving, sophisticated and uplifting drum beats ever!
  In the end of this month i am gonna take it a step further,as V.Wooten is coming to town and i am trying to arrange a lesson with his drummer Derrico Watson.The venue they're playin'is housed inside a music school where my father teaches and the musicians visiting have the opportunity to give some clincs or private lessons if they want.Now,that'll be a blast!
  Now,i have a favor to ask.I would like a top-3 list from you guys,of live cd's or dvd's from gospel artists.Should you decide to do it, don't feel that you shouldn't include a recording that someone else suggested.It'll be like a poll you know?If you have the time and you 're in the mood i'd be grateful.
  The last and most important thing.I have a qyestion for y'all.Do i belong in here?I mean,i was baptised an orhtodox christian but i am not what you call a practicing christian.Although i believe in god i work night gigs,i have an occasional drink and i smoke(although this is gonna change soon),and i rarely go to church.What i mean is,i don't want anyone to be upset by my presence in this forum,although my intention is to contribute(if i can) only in drumming related topics and maybe some music topics as well(i understand that secular music is discussed to a level.You know,just stay out of the spiritual aspects and conversations.Should you decide to accept me please inform on some basic rules(although there is an faq) and give me some guidelines.If someone is offended by me posting in here this will be my last post.
  Thank you.
  Peace and love to you all.
  Michael.............................

Offline DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin

• LGM Member
  • "Music has the power to shape character"

Welcome
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 11:22:12 PM »
Let me first start off by saying "Hello" and thanks for choosing this website to visit (this wasn't a mistake :wink: ).  Now, you say you want to get into gospel music and start learning the roots as well as new things within it.  That's great, but you must realize that this music is different from any other form of music ever studied.  Briefly, Gospel music is the root of all music today because it first came from European Era of music and through time made its way to the U.S. through Europeans to slaves.  Back then they didn't have alot of the instruments and literature that we do today.  But, you could still feel the prescence of their cries to God for help through song.  These people were real about what they were singing as well as living.  Because of this, Gospel music can not be sung or played by just anyone.  First, you have to have a connection to the one on high (after all, its his music your playing).  Secondly, your lifestyle and heart must be pleasing  unto God (not saying that you won't mess up because you will / your human!) Overall, you must have a heart, drive, and will to want to do right unto the Lord.  But, the key factor in playing Gospel music is the ANOINTING! This is what seperates Gospel music from any other type of music.  The anointing can change peoples lives and bring healing to peoples minds, bodies, and souls.  It is a deliverance through Gospel music that captures people from their sin as well as set them free from any chains that have been holding them spiritualy.  So, if you want to learn how to play Gospel music (and be true to it), you will be required to do alot more than just play it!  You'll have to live it! 8)

I would recommend any recordings from:
The Winans
Commissioned
Donnie McClurkin
Richard Smallwood
John P. Kee
Kirk Franklin
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

Offline dwdrummer

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 09:21:07 AM »
no 1 can make it any more plain than wat DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin jus said :!: dat was da truth dude u explained dis thintg sooooo well :!: since DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin said it sooo well ill jus post some dvds. now keep in mind da dvds dat ill post are all around good dvds(vocal quality,singing musicianship as a whole, plus so much more)

fred hammond- speak those things
isreal houghton & new breed- live from another level '
kirk franklin- rebirth
& so many more i jus cant think right now sorry :(  :D
out :wink:

HammerRock

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 11:12:26 AM »
Welcome Michael. I would also suggest 'Delirious?' and anything by 'Matt Redman'.

As far as being in the right place, all are welcome. As far as which discussions you get involved in, that's up to you. Many like to keep it to just drumming, but there are a lot (as you can tell) who like to discuss the other aspects as well.

I do agree that it is hard to separate the music from the Creator of our gifts/talents/abilities, but I don't agree when they start talking lifestyle, because usually they're talking about their own personal lifestyle (set of rules) and just can't understand why God doesn't make everybody follow their rules.

I try to have patience with them.

Rather than taking the approach that you'll come to God after you change, why not try this:
1) Ask God to reveal Himself to you,
2) Ask God how He sees you.

Once He reveals Himself to you and you see who you really are in His eyes, you can start to become the person He created you to be. Accept Nothing less!

The Gospel of John is a good place to start to learn more about just who Jesus is. The first chapter is awesome! Pray and ask for understanding before you even start reading. You may be surprised at what you see. http://www.biblegateway.com has the bible online. I like the New International Version because it's easier to understand.

Remember this. God accepts you just as you are, right where you are. Good changes will come into your life once you connect with who He is and who you were created to be. Good changes. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Also, feel free to private message me here if you have any personal questions about what I've mentioned here. God wants the best for you. So do I!

Peace.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »
I couldn't have written a response to your post any better than the preceding ones, so I'll keep it simple. You're looking to get into the roots of gospel music, specifically, gospel drumming. That's cool, I say go for it. But, before you dive head first into it, I'd like to make a few points. Gospel music is such a debatable topic, especially in the church, but I've come to realize this: What separates gospel music from most other genres of music is lyrics, not style (this is a practical overview). If you were to remove the lyrics from gospel music what kind of music would it be? As for the style of gospel music, it's influence comes from a plethora of other genres of music. You have songs that are Latin-inspired, R&B-inspired, Jazz-inspired, and many other styles that are reflective in gospel music. Here's an example, you may have, at one time, heard a melody in head and started to compose what you were hearing, this melody you heard could have been made into a secular song, but that doesn't mean the melody wasn't God-inspired. Therefore, it boils down to the sentiment and words that goes with the melody that make it a Gospel Song. Now the kind of gospel music that inspires the hearer to change or become better is attributed to the relationship the deliverer has with God and their willingness to yield their talent to him (this minutely explains the massive meaning of the word "anointing"). I guess what I'm trying to convey is this: You could study gospel music and never truly feel its impact or just how expansive this genre of music is unless you establish a relationship with Christ. Not saying you can't appreciate it without him or even interpret it, but, its purpose, it true meaning, it's impossible to grasp it without Christ. By the way your welcome to join in on this forum anytime you want. My prayer is that you would read or experience something here that would inspire you to have a greater relationship with Christ. Again, welcome brother.
P.S.- I’m sorry forum I meant to keep it simple. I just get carried away sometimes.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up