LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GMWA 2013 Guitar Videos by Dan "Spiffy" Neuman  (Read 3838 times)

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member
    • http://www.itsmyurls.com/dspiffy

GMWA 2013 Guitar Videos by Dan "Spiffy" Neuman
« on: August 07, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »
I have started recording myself when I can.  I am the house guitar player for GMWA as well as a member of the Youth Dept band, and I took a lot of video this year.  Most of them I am playing electric, there are a few where I am playing acoustic and a gentleman named Jamal Bransford is playing electric.

Here is my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mtspiffy/videos

So far this is my favorite of the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFe996r9Txw

I'll be posting more from this and some other gigs, but there's ~40 videos so far!

I welcome your questions and comments.

Offline Sweetplayer

• LGM Member

Re: GMWA 2013 Guitar Videos by Dan "Spiffy" Neuman
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »
Nice brother,and thanks 8)

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »
This place has really slowed down since I used to post a lot! 

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 06:48:20 PM »
This place has really slowed down since I used to post a lot!

Uh....yeah. It sorta changed under the current mod when he insisted this should be a broad based general guitar style forum (...then the mod took off with the keys).   :-\

But rather than dwell on what hasn't been going on here, let me say that the direction you've gone with your video project is inspiring. I gives me hope that this forum can get back on track and seek to focus on the need for exactly what you bring.

I'm going to try and reach you via whatever PM function this forum offers. Perhaps we can rekindle a rebellion of gospel based excellence 'round this place!  ;D

Your post made my day and brings hope. Much thanks.

Offline Sweetplayer

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Uh....yeah. It sorta changed under the current mod when he insisted this should be a broad based general guitar style forum (...then the mod took off with the keys).   :-\

But rather than dwell on what hasn't been going on here, let me say that the direction you've gone with your video project is inspiring. I gives me hope that this forum can get back on track and seek to focus on the need for exactly what you bring.

I'm going to try and reach you via whatever PM function this forum offers. Perhaps we can rekindle a rebellion of gospel based excellence 'round this place!  ;D

You are so right bro :P

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »
I'm not sure what you're referring to . . . but the purpose of this forum is to teach, encourage, and discuss the styles of guitar used in Gospel music.  There are millions of forums out there for CCM, secular genres, and guitar in general.  As far as I know this is the only one for gospel.  If there are others, let me know.

I dont know anything about PM, but feel free to message me on Facebook, or email, or any of that other stuff.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »

my only insistence was that we all strive to be well-rounded guitarists, and that gospel music, perhaps more than any other style, requires you to be well-voice in many different styles/techniques. It is such a melting pot that focusing purely on traditional choir/quartet/black-gospel styles seemed very shortsighted at best and did nothing to equip guys for what they might face in their various situations.

there is definitely a place for what is considered the traditional black gospel style (the more jazz/soul/r&b/funk) based stuff....but, as the Guitar Summit video that someone posted a preview to would suggest, there is so much more there now. From rock to blues to country to hints of metal and shred. my goal was never to push for one side or the other....but to strive for excellence in all.

as for taking the keys and running, another thread documents why I haven't been more involved, no need to rehash it here.

nice vids Spiffy, look forward to seeing more from you.

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 12:24:58 AM »
I would say what's commonly used in gospel fits into 5 categories:

rhythm-- pretty much the same as what's common in funk and r&b
lead-- you can reference metal and shred if you like, but lead lines are far more useful than solos
chords-- very CCM/rock/folk
quartet-- very bluesy
acoustic-- mostly the same as "chords", but I've realized everyone that can do it on electric cant do it on acoustic.  Also, and this seems largely unique to gospel, incorporating elements of "rhythm".

I can link more directly, but if you go to my channel, I think I have well over 50 or 60 videos of guitar.

Offline Sweetplayer

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »
I would say what's commonly used in gospel fits into 5 categories:

rhythm-- pretty much the same as what's common in funk and r&b
lead-- you can reference metal and shred if you like, but lead lines are far more useful than solos
chords-- very CCM/rock/folk
quartet-- very bluesy
acoustic-- mostly the same as "chords", but I've realized everyone that can do it on electric cant do it on acoustic.  Also, and this seems largely unique to gospel, incorporating elements of "rhythm".

I can link more directly, but if you go to my channel, I think I have well over 50 or 60 videos of guitar.
Bro,i like your stuff  8).

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »
Oh man! I youtube channel of 50 or 60 examples of gospel guitar playing with a focus on the guitar? I'm so thankful for this. Thanks for bumping your thread mt_spiffy :D

This doesn't even make sense. Gospel guitar is a broad based guitar style that covers a vast array of techniques and sounds. If the "gospel guitar heroes" had the opportunity to be more nurturing about making their styles and techniques accessible to up-and-comers, this forum would not need to exist. CCM and P&W guitarists have begun posting video tutorials on how to play their songs now, but not so much with black gospel guitar. The guys who play guitar for the major gospel artists draw influence from such a vast array of styles, yet there are next to no "How To Play Gospel Guitar Licks and Riffs" books or video series out there. So then we have to go to the source of the music these guys are influenced by, which is well documented and accessible for instruction. A lot of general lick and riff tutorials titles look like "How To Play Gospel Guitar/Funk/R&B/Jazz/Soul" for a reason. I'm not saying I like it, but I hardly see anybody actually DOING anything about it besides (apparently) distancing themselves. :-\

LGM in general really lost a lot of steam during the crash. A lot of people went off to other social networking venues while LGM was down and never came back. Actually, forums in general have taken a hit thanks to the Facebooks and Twitters and Instagrams.

If anything, this place needs more people willing to answer the hundreds of guitar chords/tabs requests that we have, hahaha. Man... since my account got accidentally deleted, I think all the guitar chords and tabs that I posted as a response to a request up until last year are gone :(
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »
Here's my guitar playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9GRreP6Z5BXm1qYbW-J5VyFt4SUMdmre
I'm sorry I just had to hit this thread one more just say WOW this is a super good useful resource. That's a LOT of videos :o
God bless you, man. Please don't delete your channel anytime in the next 30 years, hahaha.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 09:28:15 PM »
Thanks!  I wont delete it, YouTube sometimes takes my videos down for no reason.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 09:33:46 AM »
I saw this last night. This style fits right in what I am working on to cross with piano and bass posts for chords. :)
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up