Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

How?
« on: August 02, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »
How can I get my wife to understand that I need to get a new guitar? Right now I am playing on a $200 Axl guitar. While it gets the job done, it is very, very limited.

I thought maybe a couple of the more seasoned vets might have some advice.
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: How?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:29:04 PM »
How can I get my wife to understand that I need to get a new guitar? Right now I am playing on a $200 Axl guitar. While it gets the job done, it is very, very limited.

...and Jesus said, it would be easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle. 
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:29:12 AM »
I was just having a little fun at your expense, but the fact that many people find themselves in this type of situation and it's not just limited to guitars/music.  There is an interesting discussion that touches on this a bit over at Christian Guitar Resources (Ponderings on G.A.S.).  The thing is that even a modestly priced quality guitar is going to cost at least a couple hundred dollars and while it's more cost-effective than buying a higher-end guitar costing in excess of $1,000, it does represent a significant cash outlay that solely benefits you.  You could make the argument that said purchase would also benefit her as it would result in a happier husband......but that almost never works  :(.  But as with any major purchase, communication and planning are very very very important - the only real chance for success.

Of course, you could get your love making skills on and ask her in the heat of the moment; then the next day when you come back from Guitar Center with a nice expensive guitar you just say "well, honey, you did say yes....three times in fact"  :P.
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »
Would this purchase stretch your finances, or can you (and yours) easily afford it?
Sometimes buying used is more affordable. Research your dream instrument and troll ebay, craigslist, etc. in search of a deal.

Maybe another way to put it is - is there something that she wants (lusts after) greatly that you're not enthusiastic about?

Offline Sweetplayer

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »

:-\

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
So; how is the negotiation process coming along?
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 03:50:44 AM »
I took some of the advice (not saying which), and it seemed to help reinforce my view on the subject. I went to Guitar Center with her yesterday and looked at a few that I have my eye on. So it seems to be working. I'll keep you posted...
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline Sweetplayer

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 08:16:32 PM »
I took some of the advice (not saying which), and it seemed to help reinforce my view on the subject. I went to Guitar Center with her yesterday and looked at a few that I have my eye on. So it seems to be working. I'll keep you posted...
Not saying which ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up