LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginning Organist ... Give me the basics .  (Read 1963 times)

iam_jhaee

Beginning Organist ... Give me the basics .
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:26:16 PM »
Sooo, Right now , I can sit down and play an organ ... That's it .  As Angelic & Powerful as the sound may come out , I wanna know what I'm doing.  I have an older brother who often says " There's Nothing Worse Than Knowing What you're doing while you don't know what you're doing! "... Makes sense?  I know how to sit on an organ and play, but I need to know the purpose and power of the Drawbars, Volume Petal, When & Why use the Leslie... SO FORTH! 

Can ya help me out?

Offline ftc1566

• LGM Member
  • Keeping it "Real" after all these years!!!

Re: Beginning Organist ... Give me the basics .
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you have an interest and the ability to play one of the great instruments. I've been playing since the early 1980's and I wish they had resources like this when I needed help. I just want to share a few things with you. I'm sure others will join in later. As a basic, the drawbars help create a variety of sounds, so I would suggest you experiment with the sounds, remember the settings, and consider those sounds for upcoming songs you'll play. Each song can have an emotional connection with people if the right sound is produced (soft sounds in the right time, and loud sounds when appropriate.) This will come with experience, but don't think you need to blast the organ when people are listening to a song that should be soft. You must have a nice bass sound when playing faster songs, so you can "walk" the bass with your left hand. So the drawbars can be very powerful if utilized correctly. The volume pedal works with the emotional feel of the song. There are times you want to accent the song and provide a quick rise in volume during certain chord changes or beats. Check with Youtube and look at the instructional videos posted to play the organ. Take it all in and create your own style. You'll be fine, but this will take time!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up