LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best instrument to learn after drums  (Read 8011 times)

Offline Dirty it

• LGM Member

Best instrument to learn after drums
« on: July 06, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »
Hi ppl I'm new to this forum but just need advice on what instrument i should learn next (playing for 5 years).
I still have a lot of work to do and will still be playing the drums but as we have another drummer in our church I want to learn another instrument so I can play that while he plays the drums.
We don't have a bass player or guitar player currently at our church

Some people have told me that I should learn the keys, what do you guys think I should learn or what's best for a drummer to learn next?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Best instrument to learn after drums
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »
Keys are good, but it's a steep learning curve.
Guitar/Bass are easier. Especially Bass, where it's one note at a time, most of the time.
Learning Bass will give your band a "bottom" in sound...

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »
bass, you will feel a natural connection to the drum and since you are a drummer you will be able to lock in with the drummer after awhile.

Offline Dirty it

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:17:25 AM »
Ah thanks guys I guess I'll start with bass then!

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:45:13 AM »
Bass is a good place to start - one can always go from that to guitar or keys...

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 11:42:51 PM »
I want to learn the keys/organ too. Due to my school schedule I had to put a hold on my drum lessons and am taking bass lessons in a few weeks. I took them a few years ago.  I still want to learn the keys...I just have to retake that first step.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 06:22:22 PM »
Learn the ukulele next you will not regret it ;)

Couldn't resist... ;)
wade in the water

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:40:10 PM »
Though this is a late response on this topic I hope to offer a slightly different view...

I would suggest guitar to be your next instrument to learn. In particular acoustic guitar.
Why?
... it is a rhythm section instrument as well as a lead and solo instrument
... it is a missing string voice in the urban and african-american church
NOTE: the 12-string guitar has such a lush, layered bed sound great for blending vocals over
... it is very portable for practice
... lot's of learning resources
... is usually included with piano sheet music so learning songs is easier

Acoustic guitar offers a lot of opportunity to find your voice be it rhythmic strumming, percussive finger-picking, classical technical prowess, blue-grass precision and speed or raw rugged blues string bending.
I personally found it fairly easy to adapt to.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
  • I'm wasting away here......
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 10:04:10 PM »
Hi ppl I'm new to this forum but just need advice on what instrument i should learn next (playing for 5 years).
I still have a lot of work to do and will still be playing the drums but as we have another drummer in our church I want to learn another instrument so I can play that while he plays the drums.
We don't have a bass player or guitar player currently at our church

Some people have told me that I should learn the keys, what do you guys think I should learn or what's best for a drummer to learn next?

This is probably only the third time EVER that I've been in the Drummer room, but I have to +1 the learning bass guitar tip.

It was pretty natural for me as bass is as much as a rhythm instrument as drums are. I think in most churches, the drums/bass establish and hold down the pocket, and as a drummer yourself, I think it will feel natural to play bass. My $0.02
Precious Lord take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »
I think bass would be a good transition from drums. Bass is usually the glue between the rhythm and melodic sections of a band. However, why not learn bass, keys, and guitar all together. They are all musically related anyway.

Offline Dirty it

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, I've started playing the acoustic guitar now, I will also learn the bass too!

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 11:39:07 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, I've started playing the acoustic guitar now, I will also learn the bass too!

Interesting choice, what made you choose the acoustic guitar?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »
Guitar is good, will make it easier to pick up the Bass later on...

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »
Interesting choice, what made you choose the acoustic guitar?

Great choice. Guitar is an often forgotten prominent member of the rhythm section because of it's dual ability to play lead voice. Because of this guitar players like vocalist and other instruments lack rhythm and timing. They maybe able to play complicated patterns but they never touch people musically because they never find the placement of the groove.

I know these examples are from different genres of music but these are some top notch artists/musicians whom play both the drums and guitar (as well as lead vocals and write/compose):

Prince
Don Henley (lead vocals, drummer and guitarist for the Eagles as well as a solo artist)
Dave Grohl (founder lead vocals and guitarist for the Foo Fighters, famed- drummer for Nirvana)
Lenny Kravitz
Adam Levine (front main, lead vocalist and guitarist for Maroon 5)
Stokley Williams (front man, lead vocals and drummer/percussionist for Mint Condition)

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker
Pages: [1]   Go Up