LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LGM Opinions Needed  (Read 3676 times)

Offline xcalybur32

• LGM Member

LGM Opinions Needed
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
Good Day LGM.

Looking into a new travel kit and came across two kits that caught my eye.  I'm looking at the Yamaha Birch Stage Custom and the Crush Birch Kit.  Both are the same price and was wondering has anyone played either of these kits and would you deem it "Road Ready"?  Road Ready as in ease of breakdown and durability of hardware.  The dark horse kit is the new Design Series from DW but I don't like the finishes.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: LGM Opinions Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 06:52:05 PM »
Overall kit for the road though not my favorite would be the DW Performer.

However my personal favorite out of your choices is the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch. I have played it (with a 24" bass drum... Evans G2 heads) and it sounds great and professional. I have seen bands playing it in performances on Jimmy Fal4on and David Letterman.

Crush makes very nice drums. If you are looking to standout out possibly line yourself up for future endorsement with the company then maybe go with Crush as they are a young company in the business.
Yamaha definitely has the best hardware. I have been the proud owner of a (pre-owned circa 1997) Yamaha Maple Custom since 2004 and it still looks and sounds great after many gigs and lessons performed.

Now personally I would suggest that if you have the money fora DW Performer ( at least $1,500-$1,700) for a 5-piece kit with no hardware I would instead by a 7-piece Yamaha Stage Custom kit with hardware and a set of drum bags and a hardware bag ( for my stands). Maybe even by an extra bass drum either a 20" or a 24" which I believe will be much better for big low end sound. this way you have all the sizes you need to play any genre gig... it's like having multiple kits when you have the extra bass drum.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline xcalybur32

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
Thank You Sabian,  I now own a Crush Chameleon Ash.  Crazy Kit!

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »
...that Ash Kit sounds amazing Live.  Whew!!!
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline xcalybur32

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
     Yes sir! I walked in cash in hand for the Birch kit as expertly suggested, and my drum broker (everyone should have one.) said "Naw Dawg I won't ring you until you listen to this, we just unpacked it today".  He threw on a track and threw me the sticks.  I hit the 12" first as a good gauge of the overall drum tone and was blown away.   

Ash is like a mix of maple and birch with more attack and mid range.  I'm using Evans black chrome/G1 combo with a Onyx E-Mad with good results.  The bass sounds good but I favor my Tama Starclassic B/B sound more.  Overall it's a sweet kit, solid hardware and construction. 

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »
     Yes sir! I walked in cash in hand for the Birch kit as expertly suggested, and my drum broker (everyone should have one.) said "Naw Dawg I won't ring you until you listen to this, we just unpacked it today".  He threw on a track and threw me the sticks.  I hit the 12" first as a good gauge of the overall drum tone and was blown away.   

Ash is like a mix of maple and birch with more attack and mid range.  I'm using Evans black chrome/G1 combo with a Onyx E-Mad with good results.  The bass sounds good but I favor my Tama Starclassic B/B sound more.  Overall it's a sweet kit, solid hardware and construction.

So how is the CRUSH Ash kit since you have had near a month to break it in? Ash is not for everyone because it cuts so much... kinda like Beech. You have to know how to tune and find the right head combination as well. My opinion is you have to find the sweet spot for striking it as well (like any drum... but maybe more so with Beech and Ash woods). Gotta get the right amount of shell and head tone.

Ash is a far cry from Birch-Bubinga combo... Bubinga being such a dense rosewood variety the low end is a massive pop with a unique twang to it.

Post some clips with good sound!
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker
Pages: [1]   Go Up