LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: But What About Me and You?  (Read 2656 times)

But What About Me and You?
« on: March 10, 2005, 02:37:02 AM »
Greetings from Newark, NJ and Norfolk, Va.

I took the time out to write this post cause i thought it would bring the true meaning of this website. I was browsing in the other areas of LGM, and i noticed that they actually share ideas and talk about different methods to their instruments. We only talk about that like .01 percent in this section. All we (yes i said WE) ever do is talk about who is the hottest,and who is better than who. Yeah thats cool to talk about, but lets try to put our ideas together and and give to others who are having a hard time or would like to know new techniques. Are yall down for that?

I'll give my first idea (from my collection of thoughts when im practicing)

I call this "Musical Splashes"
I actually got this idea from hear Jeff Davis play his Sabian splashes, and they sounded lovely. Here it goes: (it also depends on what size splashes you have.

bass, snare 10' splash, 8' splash, keep going to you master the coordination, and the play like 4/4 groove to fit where it needs to be. what you will get is like a fast swishy, echo like tone. then what u can doo is switch it up and a a double on the bass and continue and the same pattern

Holla at me to see if you got it!!!

Offline soulnomad

• LGM Member
  • * Learning from your own creative mistakes creates
    • www.theobrownsoulnomad.net

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 08:03:59 AM »
Good start of a great idea.
"Uptown" Theo Brown aka "The Silent Assassin"

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 09:21:17 AM »
here is another combination that i like to do

For a song with a hard 4/4 hip hop drive on the bass drum try this fill right here:

SNARE: RLRLRLR-----10IN TOM-RL 12IN TOM-RL THEN  WITH A SINGLE STROKE FAST ROLL TO THE 14'TOM (however many strokes u can fit in) then hit the crash or what ever cymbal that you have mounted right near the 14 in tom. You have to be very swift when trying to execute, and most importantly BE ON TIME!!!!!!!

NOTE: it it will endlike this...crash snare crash snare crash

if u were u mimic the sound with your voice it the snare would sound like: bocka bocka bocka bock then u take it 2 strokes on each tom then a fast single stroke with howmany stroke u come up with, then 12121 with the snare and crash...DONT FORGET TO ADD THE BASS DRUM IN THE EMPTY SPOTS.

Offline maplecustom

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 06:26:03 PM »
There's a hip fill that I've seen Carter Beauford use and also Todd Wilson on "Dynamic Drumming for Contemporary Gospel Drummers".  It works well for slower 4/4 songs.  
It starts on 3 of the last measure in the phrase.  I'm going to use some funky notation to try and make this clear, hope it works for ya.
s=snare, h=hi tom, m=mid tom, f=floor tom, b=bass, c=splash cymbal.
here it is:
3  /  e  /  &  /  a  / 4  /  e  /  &  /  a  /  1
s  hhc  s  hhc  s  sss  s  h h  m b  f  b  crash
       b         b                                    b

It's gotta be right on to sound good, so I hope you got your 64th notes clean!  :roll:
Pages: [1]   Go Up