LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I learn how to transpose without cheating?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Rachaud

• LGM Member
  • God has done a work in my life.

How do I learn how to transpose without cheating?
« on: November 20, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
Im pretty sure you know what I mean when I say cheating. Over the years I have become very skillful in my playing and with God's grace he has anointed my music. But I do not know how to transpose without using the transpose key. I find it very complicated, where do I start? Be blessed in Jesus name.
What God is Going to do in your life later on will make sense of whats happening right now.

Offline PianoClubhouse

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Don't talk about it....BE about it!
    • PianoClubhouse.com

Re: How do I learn how to transpose without cheating?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 02:48:08 PM »
what key(s) are you comfortable playing in now?

choirlist

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »
To accomplish this is very simple but requires work dedication and patience. The fastest way is to accomplish this is the longest way. Which is take 1 key learn a song in that key. Now the trick is to  not just be able to play a song in the foreign key but to be as comfortable playing the song in the new key as you are in your comfortable one. Once you get to that point you will feel your mind click with your hands in reference to that particular key. I cant explain the phenomena but it just happens. Hope this helps

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »
Maybe start by learning scale patterns in different keys - Then try playing chords or short phrases of melody in those keys...

choirlist

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
The only problem with taking the scale approach is most people who can already play are bored outta their minds when they have to go back to something as rudimentary as scales and in turn they dont stick with it for very. Its important to be musical as you practice so you can focus longer. Just my 2 cents

Offline GospelEngineer

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
Unfortunately learning isn't always fun, even when it comes to music. I'm able to transpose because I understand theory and know my scales, so when a song has a 2-5-1 pattern in C I can easily play that in any key because I know what the 2 the 5 and the 1 are in all of them. It took study and practice but it's definitely worth it.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 08:47:05 AM »
Unfortunately learning isn't always fun, even when it comes to music. I'm able to transpose because I understand theory and know my scales, so when a song has a 2-5-1 pattern in C I can easily play that in any key because I know what the 2 the 5 and the 1 are in all of them. It took study and practice but it's definitely worth it.

BINGO!!! There's no way around doing the work, you just gotta suck it up and do it. Those who are willing to endure will reap the benefits.

The only problem with taking the scale approach is most people who can already play are bored outta their minds when they have to go back to something as rudimentary as scales and in turn they dont stick with it for very. Its important to be musical as you practice so you can focus longer. Just my 2 cents

There is a way to make anything musical, even scales. I spent almost an entire year learning nothing but the major scale and basic chords in every key. I used drum loops and creative ways of practicing the scales and chords to make them useful for a live situation.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 09:17:30 PM »
Learn songs in their original key and no transposing during your home practice.

Offline ltljake

• LGM Member
    • http://www.pianodownloads.com

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 09:44:46 PM »
Worship leader was in the key of B natural last Sunday. Walking bass line congregational stuff stuck in B. Happens allot at my church. Im used to it. After a while, you'll be able to make all keys sound the same. Practice Practice Practice...

Offline Rachaud

• LGM Member
  • God has done a work in my life.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »
I can show you you how to play in any key instantly without transposing. There is a simpler way to do it that most people don't know. The old fashion transpose is the long and hard route.... there is a trick to it.

Tell me more brother!!!
What God is Going to do in your life later on will make sense of whats happening right now.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 10:20:01 AM »
I didn't think that there was an easy way.  The info that many gave was right on the spot to me.  If there is a trick to it, I'd be surprised and glad to know it.  This is my idea, though.  When I was working we were often asked when a difficult task had to be done: "How do you eat an elephant"?  The answer is, one bite at the time.

Pick one key other than the one you know very well.  Pick a popular one such as Ab, etc.  Learn everything in that key as well as you know it in your original key.  It'll take, maybe, three months. Still transpose everything else. Songs in the two known keys, play in key.  Then pick another popular key.  Learn everything----------.  Play in those keys and transpose everything else.

Be sure to learn each key very thoroughly.  As you learn new keys, you will find it to be easier to internalize them.  The number system is very helpful when doing this. You'll learn four new keys in a year, but you hurry the task by taking your time and learning them well.

Offline blue_jays

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 05:13:40 PM »
The key is learning to take it one step at a time and not transposing. Utimately I would only use the transpose button when i really dont know the song but its all about progressing. I came across this post that kinda goes more in depth about transposing.

http://helpingadvice.blogspot.ca/2011/06/how-to-modulate-and-transpose-to-other.html

I personally found this really helpful.
The Musician's Forum
www.helpingadvice.blogspot.com

Offline KingOfHarmony

• LGM Member
    • Play by ear in 7 days

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »
NO!!! There is a way to do it instantly without learning the song in every key. It has nothing to do with moving every note up or down a certain number of tones to a new key. Thats not how the masters do it

Offline ltljake

• LGM Member
    • http://www.pianodownloads.com

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
NO!!! There is a way to do it instantly without learning the song in every key. It has nothing to do with moving every note up or down a certain number of tones to a new key. Thats not how the masters do it

You hit the nail on the head....

The Number System
Pages: [1]   Go Up