LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: you would Rather play with john p kee or Fred hammond?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline juniorinboston

• LGM Member

you would Rather play with john p kee or Fred hammond?
« on: March 13, 2005, 07:31:50 AM »
who you all rather play with? Frand or Jonh?

Offline ltcc

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 08:50:28 AM »
I would play for fred.  Cause i like how he loves perfection. and his band is always nice

Offline rudamentz

• LGM Member
    • http://www.whitneyslaten.com

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 07:54:58 PM »
john p of course fred took some of johns band members anyway...they have two different stlyes fred is praise and worship and john is funk so...its a hard choice but im going with john p

Offline dwdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 09:43:14 AM »
fred no doubt :!:  :D
out :wink:

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 11:43:08 AM »
Fred Hammond because his stuff is always real tight and pocket. I really like Kee but Fred wins this one!

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 01:03:55 AM »
Without a doubt JOHN P KEE!!! He values the ministry more than the gift because winning souls is the reason why he writes his songs.

Offline Krazy_afro_man

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 01:42:11 AM »
I would rather play for John P kee because on some of the songs he got on the not guilty cd just makes you want to bust out and go crazy on the drums sometimes. Gosepl artist should make more songs where drummers can just go crazy at the end or get solos more often so people like me can listen and learn from people like chris coleman and calvin rodgers.

Offline scoop

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 07:38:46 AM »
Stuff like "Reign on us" and "I will worship You" makes me wanna b wit John, but stuff like "Blessed" and "Living Word" makes me side with Fred. It's hard... John's music taught me some stuff about hookin my pocket up, but Fred.... the boy's remix game? I heard him do something with "Blessed" in a concert a few years back that I'm still crazy about!!!

Offline bwashington

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 07:48:19 AM »
I gotta go wit my boi Fred, cause his creativity is a monster....In my book John hasnt showed me a diffrence lately, or should I say hes not changing wit the time...His audience is still the same..But Fred is reaching the right now Generation ya feel me......
Barry L. Washington

Offline Browntiplocs

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 09:02:40 AM »
Quote from: Krazy_afro_man
I would rather play for John P kee because on some of the songs he got on the not guilty cd just makes you want to bust out and go crazy on the drums sometimes. Gosepl artist should make more songs where drummers can just go crazy at the end or get solos more often so people like me can listen and learn from people like chris coleman and calvin rodgers.

:? ............ :|

As a songwriter I am somewhat perturbed by this post.  If I wrote songs for people to "learn" from, it would defeat the purpose of why I write in the first place.  I'm not trying to purposely write songs to satisfy the flesh of the musicians or anyone else for that matter but to edify the body of Christ, which should be our ultimate goal as minstrels in the kingdom.  Not trying to "cut" you but you learning from the songs I arrange would be a very distant 2nd on my list of priorities.  There is a time and place for that...this is neither of them.  Furthermore, if I was carnal enough to write songs for that reason and you played the drums would, you play so that others can learn or so that YOU could shine?  Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Offline dwmaniac

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 08:27:14 PM »
I agree, Browntiplocs is right! :wink:

Offline scoop

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 09:56:50 AM »
yo BT,

I see what you mean now, and I totally appreciate everything you've said. It's important for us as brothers in Christ to help one another out... part of that is rebuking one another in love.... it's in the word. If I came across as fleshy or carnal I apologize to everyone in the forum. I also repent if it was wrong in the eyes of God.

But what I was trying to say (hopefully if you read my other post) is that both of these artists minister to me in different ways. I appreciate them as musicians differently, but not unequally. If you notice my last post I made no favorite pick. Also I'd like to address another topic that is important as far as music... should we have a preference in Gospel music.

My thoughts: there are certain songs out there that are anointed, and there are those that aren't. You have inspirational songs out there as well as stuff that's under "Gospel" because there was no better place to put it. In this vein, I think it's justified for someone to prefer some "gospel" over others. Some Christians may even dislike certain gospel songs.

Do you think this is right?

Offline Browntiplocs

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 08:39:51 AM »
Quote from: scoop
yo BT,

I see what you mean now, and I totally appreciate everything you've said. It's important for us as brothers in Christ to help one another out... part of that is rebuking one another in love.... it's in the word. If I came across as fleshy or carnal I apologize to everyone in the forum. I also repent if it was wrong in the eyes of God.

But what I was trying to say (hopefully if you read my other post) is that both of these artists minister to me in different ways. I appreciate them as musicians differently, but not unequally. If you notice my last post I made no favorite pick. Also I'd like to address another topic that is important as far as music... should we have a preference in Gospel music.

My thoughts: there are certain songs out there that are anointed, and there are those that aren't. You have inspirational songs out there as well as stuff that's under "Gospel" because there was no better place to put it. In this vein, I think it's justified for someone to prefer some "gospel" over others. Some Christians may even dislike certain gospel songs.

Do you think this is right?

I personally feel that we as artists/writers sometimes lose focus of who we are reaching or should be reaching.  For example, if I grew up listening to nothing but hip-hop music, it would extremely hard to relate to the more traditional forms of music.  Personally I can't relate to traditional songs.  That's not what I'm used to...not what I grew up on.  I'm born COGIC and at our church there was foot-stomping "jig" music so......It's not wrong to prefer a certain type of gospel but it is a bit "close-minded" to shun and rebuke another type.  I also feel that there is no better form of gospel music.  Each form reaches a different group of people.

The bible tells us to be fishers of men.  Well to be an effective fisherman you need to use the right bait.  You can't catch catfish with trout bait!!  The problem IMO is that WE only minister to the church.  That's fine but there are souls being lost while we only sing (perform) to each other.  Furthermore, how many FREE street crusades have you seen any "major" artists do.  Very few!  Yet we criticize and say what's gospel music and what is not.  Naturally if I wrote a rnb groove song, the church would be like  :evil:  8O  :cry:  :?   but the soul I'm trying to reach, who also has never even tried to hear gospel music, would be like  :D  :)  :lol:  :o  You have their attention now.  We have gotten away from this which is why a lot of our churches are filled with people from other churches and not from the streets or the community that our churches are set in.  

While others complain and say my music is too worldly, I say I'm going to write it as God gives it to me.  If He gives it to me, I already know it's annointed without having someone tell me it is.  Understand that His thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways.  What we may see as worldly, He may see as necessary.  Even if it's to get just one soul.  He leads...we follow...or should without disputing...without murmurring!!   Nobody's saying write a song entitled, "My baby's daddy is Jesus!"  That would indeed be taking it over the top!

Offline scoop

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 09:54:40 AM »
I hear what you're saying. I grew up in a church where there was a variety of gospel stuff. And that's pretty much all I prefer to listen to. What I'm saying is that Gospel is 'the good news.' Gospel's purpose is to glorify Jesus. I realize that as we move from generation to generation the style of gospel must change. Once upon a time organs in gospel music was 'the devil' Now, it's a staple almost. There was stuff I listened to growing up that is now considered old.  

However, there are two things I think are important. First of all, it's the anointing that destroys the yolk. I thank God for the Gospel rappers who actually rap to the glory of God. I totally appreciate that we need to catch people with the right bait, but I don't think that its impossible for a worldly young person to like something more traditional though.

Also... and this is the thing I'm concerned about, we have to be careful not to compromise. God gives gifts without repentance. That means He gave you the anointing to write songs, but it's up to you to use your gift the write way. God gave Malcom X the give of articulation, leadership, and charisma, but he didn't use it right. He gave Prince musical skill, but he ain't usin it to glorify God either. It's easy for us to get inspired w/ our gifts and then move in ourselves. I'm not saying that this is you... and I pray that you prosper in the Lord... That's why it's important to seek God before during and after we minister. We need to be sure He's pleased w/ our songs, our beats, etc. Every good and perfect gift is from him, but the way we use it is up to us.

I think one thing that needs to happen is that we reinforce/ explain our gifts in some way through the music. The same way parents discipline their children... they need to provide reasoning.

I believe that there's some hot new stuff out there that's ministering to people. But the "worldly" stuff is what comes w/ some of it. Ex: If I sing or play a hot, anointed song, why do I i have to dance and shake... w/ some of these groups, the dances aren't "holy dances" The Bible says that by their fruits we shall know them.

Be Blessed

Offline ladiepromotr

• LGM Member

Re: you would Rather play with john p kee or Fred hammond?
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 08:41:50 PM »
Fred of course...They both like and expect perfection just like we all do but because I know them both Fred has a little more personality than John...Fred gets up on stage as well as kill on stage with his concerts, does his thang within the time frame he is given, doesn't try to add anything extra and he is done.  [/color[/img]

Offline jdub313

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 10:51:01 AM »
john   no doubt man fred my man but john got this one

Offline Boom89

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 06:09:57 PM »
I dig them both and would love to play with either one of them, but if I had to choose it would be J. Kee. He's a beast on keys and I really dig his vocals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up