LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musician Challenges ASAP  (Read 1738 times)

Offline blue_jays

• LGM Member

Musician Challenges ASAP
« on: December 10, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
What are some of the challenges that you all face when you are a musician? This can be music related or just in life?
What are somethings that you want to learn and help grow your music?
The Musician's Forum
www.helpingadvice.blogspot.com

Offline ltljake

• LGM Member
    • http://www.pianodownloads.com

Re: Musician Challenges ASAP
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »
I have to challenge myself to not buy anything unless I can absolutely use it. Sometimes practicing to play better benefits one more than buying that new piece of gear.

Offline PianoClubhouse

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Don't talk about it....BE about it!
    • PianoClubhouse.com

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »
these are some of the challenges i've faced over the years as a musician....some i've conquered, others i'm still working on:

- playing with confidence
- not being intimidated by other musicians or by people that are watching/listening
- playing in 7
- being comfortable in all keys
- balancing family and recreation time with music & work
- many musicians that i know are introverts, so outside of church or gigs, we don't hang out much nor have close friends & relationships outside of music. So i'm trying to do better with my relationship building.

There are probably more that will come to my head after I post this, but those were the ones that surfaced to the top first...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »
One of my biggest musical challenges is getting my RH faster with different scales and in those "awkward" keys. I can chord all day, but I can barely run to save my life. I see musicians all the time using fancy runs, but I see them in the same keys that most people like (C, Eb, Ab, Db, and Bb). When I come across someone who can beast in A just as easily as Ab, that will be my new teacher, lol.

I also struggle with the introvert thing. I'm a real home body, so it's hard for me to want to go out and do stuff when I'd rather stay home and do Sudoku puzzles and listen to music.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Lilfingers

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »
Reading chord symbols, playing by ear, and playing in all keys..... is that enough for now????
I'm playing for God's Glory--not man's. LILFINGERS

Offline yahoo.com

• LGM Member
  • I will Bless The Lord at ALL Times!

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 01:08:11 AM »
What are some of the challenges that you all face when you are a musician? This can be music related or just in life?
What are somethings that you want to learn and help grow your music?

My biggest challenge is remembering that for me the Music/Gift comes Second and Preaching the Gospel is First. Christ gave me this gift to give me peace as a kid coming up in a home of so much havoc. Later, with any gift of God; playing the piano has made room for me financially and has established order in some difficult passed circumstances. But the call to minister the Gospel came first but because there's often an overwhelming demand to serve without reward I would often accept more musical engagements than Preaching invites. This year EYES GOT TO DO BETTER LOL!! But Lord lead me because spiritually speaking I've found myself tearing down walls that so called preachers have built up, blocking the saints from there blessing.

Offline youngenuff

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »
I won't say it's still a challenge...but the big one I had to overcome was learning that music is a language...even Gospel music....and that there is NO WAY that I would set out to master every single facet of any other language. I've been speaking English all my life...and there is still sooooooo much I could learn. Yes...I could enhance that...but to say I'm going to learn every single detail about English would be overly ambitious. So, the same is true about music.

That doesn't mean that I wont continue to develop...but it does mean that I will cut myself some slack and learn to enjoy my journey instead of feeling like I have to conquer everything concerning it.

Offline blue_jays

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 05:19:18 PM »
Your absolutely right youngnuff. Music is a language and like any language there are different dialects and accents that help people to determine where you are from such as USA, UK, Austrailia etc. What I mean by that is that when you are learning gospel music or any other type of music its all about the "feel". The way that you play may be different from the way that I play. Its trying to find your language. That's one of the challenges as a music. What is your language?
The Musician's Forum
www.helpingadvice.blogspot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up