LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sustain Pedal  (Read 22143 times)

Offline sebstyoung

• LGM Member
  • A Keyboardist and Music Producer

The Sustain Pedal
« on: December 23, 2013, 12:02:53 AM »
Hello people.
Have some friends that just hit the sustained pedal throughout an entire performance, some turn it on from the keyboard settings.
I need views on how you guys use the sustain pedal to accompany your play, the techniques(if any) and when it should not be used @ all. Thanks.
Fb:Skeyz Whatsapp:0818287768 IG: @skeyz_

Offline GospelEngineer

• LGM Member

Re: The Sustain Pedal
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 02:16:54 AM »
I use the sustain pedal throughout anytime I'm playing. I was classically trained and for the most part was taught to hold it throughout melodic runs or when holding a chord. If I'm using a sound like strings or some type of pad I'll hold it to sound legato and not choppy. Fast songs I won't use it quite as much especially if I'm playing with a full band and don't need to fill up the sound as much.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
For a keyboard player, the thing is not to overuse - put pedal up and down (pedal changes) with each new chord.
In Classical music it's mostly used for holding notes while the hands jumps to another octave, playing others in similar harmony.
Not needed at all for fast or busy passages...

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:42:17 PM »
You're not talking about the mechanics of it, are you?  If you are, you hit the pedal just after you play the new chord.  You let it up, play then depress.  Properly used, the music should flow. Adjust as needed to keep the sound full, and not choppy.  After a while, it becomes second nature to you.  If you hold it all the time, the chords will bleed into each other.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »
I use the sustain pedal to "sustain" or keep the sounds of certain notes and/or chords going for a while. Instead of having to keep my hands down on the keys, I let the pedal do all the work. When I want the sound to end, I lift up on the pedal and it's gone. Simple as that!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline sebstyoung

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
Well, I use the sustain pedal to modulate, pitch bend, sustain, increase my voice volume, make one of my dual voice louder than the other, e.t.c. My keyboard has all these features and many more. So when I play, my hands don't run the modulation or pitch bend wheel. My pedal does all d work. Its awesome. It frees me. Makes my play unique.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 11:22:54 PM »
Have some friends that just hit the sustained pedal throughout an entire performance, some turn it on from the keyboard settings.
*facepalms* :x
Well, I use the sustain pedal to modulate, pitch bend, sustain, increase my voice volume, make one of my dual voice louder than the other, e.t.c. My keyboard has all these features and many more. So when I play, my hands don't run the modulation or pitch bend wheel. My pedal does all d work. Its awesome. It frees me. Makes my play unique.
I think a better term, when using it in that way, would be "expression pedal"
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline sebstyoung

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 04:07:41 AM »
Ever used two pedals on a studio-digitalized yamaha like my favourite? It broadens the possibilities althogether. The first time I used it as a modulation wheel with my choir. My fellow instrumentalists were like, "WHAT'S SKEYZ DOING!!!". Forgotten the song I played it on. I switched my modulation down a 12. Jamming my pedal sunk the chords down and brought 'em back up when I released. It was actually funky and groovy.
EXPRESSION PEDAL as SketchMan calls it...lol!
Pages: [1]   Go Up