LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing chords with both hands effectively  (Read 1904 times)

Offline JordanH.

• LGM Member

Playing chords with both hands effectively
« on: January 02, 2014, 01:17:52 AM »
I have been playing the organ for a little while and have been the youth choir's organist (if you could even call me that) for the past 2 years.  I still struggle with very basic things (I don't have a good ear AT ALL, I can not do smooth chord transitions, I don't do runs well, etc.).  However, what I really struggle with is playing chords with both hands.  No matter how hard I try, I fail.  No matter how much I practice, I just can't get it.  It seems impossible for me.  I have decided that if I can't learn this relatively soon, I will stop playing.  How can I get this?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Playing chords with both hands effectively
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »
Suggestions:

Get the chords good with one hand, then the other. Most chords have 3-4 notes.

At a time outside of church rehearsal, try playing the bottom note (root) of the chord with the left while playing the chord with the right. Practice going very slowly from one chord in the progression to the next. It will take time for you to get up to speed with this, so when playing w/others you may have to skip some runs and passing chords, focusing on the most important.

Once you have the basic progression of songs, try rearranging the notes in the chords, taking notes out of the right and putting them in the left. Since you are on the organ, try hitting that bottom note with your foot (if organ has pedals)....

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

Re: Playing chords with both hands effectively
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »
You must first understand what you are trying to accomplish when voicing your chord and think of your hands as a team trying to obtain a common goal. For example, a C chord consist of the notes C, E, G.  Somehow divide this chord between your two hands.    (foot: C    left hand: E G    Right Hand: E G C )

In addition, when an experienced musician realizes that they have to play a C chord, they have a bank of options in which to pull from that has been collected over their musical careers.

Also, do not feel obligated to play with your left hand all the time. When I first started playing, I was infatuated with runs. Then it was the left hand chording. Now I appreciate the little things in music such as dynamics, rhythm, note values, and chord placements.  Always play what is needed to make a song effective.       

Pages: [1]   Go Up