LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auditioning for praise team.  (Read 1857 times)

Offline 9cawezin

• LGM Member

Auditioning for praise team.
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:38:36 PM »
Do you guys hold auditions for praise team?   If so how do you go about the audition?

Offline xza

• LGM Member

Re: Auditioning for praise team.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:18:26 PM »
The only way I've ever seen a "rehearsal" type thing, was after a Sunday service. My worship leader just asked them to come on stage and play a few notes on the piano, sing a tune or jam on the drums... Whichever they played.

It's more convenient than getting out of your way on maybe a week day.

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

Re: Auditioning for praise team.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
are you talking about auditioning  vocalists, or auditioning musicians?

for vocalist auditions,  we typically have them come out to a rehearsal.  They go into their  section ( if they don't know whether they are an soprano, alto, or tenor  then that is a BIG hint) and sing   with the section.  After rehearsal we ask the section leads and the director  how they felt about it. Praise team is a little different than mass choir because the numbers are fewer and that means everyone has to be able to hold a note.   Mass choir we allow anyone who wants to sing to participate ( as long as they come to practice ). Praise team,   you have to be invited.  is there some drams surrounding this,  sometimes.   but when they play back the audio and a single person is sticking out like a sore thumb,  that usually  handles  all of the drama.

For musicians,   we provide them with a  track, a lead sheet, and sheet music ( if they  claim to read sheet).   they come to the musician rehearsal  and perform accompaniment with the track,  and solo with the lead sheet and sheet music.  if they pass that,  we give them a  copy of the music for the next rehearsal  and ask them  to come back. typically  musicians that  have experience playing in a band setting have no problem. 

Jlewis
Pages: [1]   Go Up