LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: American Musical Supply website - Kind of Curious!  (Read 4817 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

American Musical Supply website - Kind of Curious!
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »
Hi guys. Have anyone ever ordered off of American Musical Supply before? I see that there EZ payment plans are very appealing when buying guitars. I saw on there a MIM Red Fender Strat for $500, but a EZ payment plan they offer is $100 for 5 months. I mean how is the service and do they charge interest or something? Because it just seems to easy, there's got to be some sort of trick or something.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: American Musical Supply website - Kind of Curious!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »
I mean how is the service and do they charge interest or something? Because it just seems to easy, there's got to be some sort of trick or something.

So...how's your credit (it's a rhetorical question....do not answer)?  Seems pretty much to be as easy as advertised.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »
I purchased my Fender Mustang V Head and 4x12 Cabinet from AMS. Basically what it is is a "pay while you play" layaway plan. I paid $100/mo for 6 months. You fill out the info (debit/credit, address, etc.) and they take out the first payment immediately. They will call you before they take out the first payment to make sure you are who you say you are and to validate the account, etc. Once that is done and the payment comes out of your account, they ship the gear to you. I ordered my gear and two days later it was delivered to my job (didn't want it sitting on my porch all day). Keep in mind though that the day you make the first payment is the day they will take it out of that account every month. There is no interest charged for the purchase. Also, if you have an item that does not have a payment plan attached to it (i.e. strap, picks, whatever) they will add the cost to the arrangement for the guitar. do this will make the payment higher because it will be divided up into the monthly plan. If you're worried about credit, I don't think it plays a factor into this type of purchase agreement.

Hope this helps!!!
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:58:02 PM »
Keep in mind though that the day you make the first payment is the day they will take it out of that account every month.

1)Lets just say if I ordered a guitar or amp today, January 15, 2014 and AMS charged my card today January 15, 2014. Will the next payment that is due be on February 15th 2014 which makes for a month. Or will AMS charge me February 1, 2014?

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:07:20 PM »
1)Lets just say if I ordered a guitar or amp today, January 15, 2014 and AMS charged my card today January 15, 2014. Will the next payment that is due be on February 15th 2014 which makes for a month. Or will AMS charge me February 1, 2014?

It will be taken out on the 15th every month...
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:09:15 PM »
I believe they gave me a week's notice also to let me know that it will be coming out on a certain date. Really helpful to make sure the funds are there.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:19:17 PM »
I believe they gave me a week's notice also to let me know that it will be coming out on a certain date. Really helpful to make sure the funds are there.

I have three more questions

1) Did you order online or by phone?

2)Did they call you by telephone or by email to tell you that the funds will be taken out of your account?

3) Do AMS have to approve you or your credit in order for you to get the EZ payment plan on a item?

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »
I have three more questions

1) Did you order online or by phone?

2)Did they call you by telephone or by email to tell you that the funds will be taken out of your account?

3) Do AMS have to approve you or your credit in order for you to get the EZ payment plan on a item?

1) I ordered online

2) The first notification is a call to make sure you are who you say you are. The rest are sent by email and tell you the specific date the payment will be taken out.

3) There is no credit check. You don't give them an SSN. They just make sure that your account is active, pretty much.

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
  • I'm wasting away here......
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »
Just to chime in...AMS and Zzounds are both great, reliable sites that do just as trackman has said. Order without hesitation my brotha!
Precious Lord take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 08:34:58 AM »
1) I ordered online

2) The first notification is a call to make sure you are who you say you are. The rest are sent by email and tell you the specific date the payment will be taken out.

3) There is no credit check. You don't give them an SSN. They just make sure that your account is active, pretty much.

According to their website they do check for credit approval.

http://www.americanmusical.com/content--name-EzPay

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »
According to their website they do check for credit approval.

http://www.americanmusical.com/content--name-EzPay

Trust me, it's not very strict...

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:19 AM »
I say this as someone who spent years being $40k+ in debt:
Be VERY careful when buying things that you do not immediately have cash for and that will immediately drop in value (which is most everything).
Do NOT become a slave to the lender as I once was.
Those too-good-to-be-true payment plans are great IF you can afford it. If you can't, the interest rates are outrageous and the damage to your credit score is a bad deal.
I'm not trying to be a Davey Downer, but it's the experienced dad in me coming out, trying to help my kids. :)
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
Those too-good-to-be-true payment plans are great IF you can afford it. If you can't, the interest rates are outrageous and the damage to your credit score is a bad deal.
I'm not trying to be a Davey Downer, but it's the experienced dad in me coming out, trying to help my kids. :)

Take heed to these words.  (a bit off topic here but...) Isn't it funny that people with bad credit have to pay more for everything?   If I couldn't afford something when it was cheap, then why/how can I afford it now that it costs me more?  It's like a catch 22; a set up for further failure and worsening of an already bad situation.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 02:36:06 PM »
I say this as someone who spent years being $40k+ in debt:
Be VERY careful when buying things that you do not immediately have cash for and that will immediately drop in value (which is most everything).
Do NOT become a slave to the lender as I once was.

That's why I was asking about the site that the website seem to me a little fishy at first. So I hear ya preaching to me and Im thinking I will try to save up for a new guitar instead of a EZ payment plan. Although I might add that saving up money is kind of painful; because Im more of a person who likes to spend money on things. Someone on here needs to start a topic on managing money.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »
Take heed to these words.  (a bit off topic here but...) Isn't it funny that people with bad credit have to pay more for everything?   If I couldn't afford something when it was cheap, then why/how can I afford it now that it costs me more?  It's like a catch 22; a set up for further failure and worsening of an already bad situation.

The truth of the matter is that if you  can't afford it, you can't afford it.  Bad credit is usually a choice. If you won't pay your bills, people are taking a bigger risk selling to you on credit.  Bad risk customers don't pay as well and as often as a group.  It stands to reason that a lender has to charge them more if they sell/lend to them on credit at all.  Sometimes, those that pay well end up supplimenting for bad risk payers. The lenders have nothing to do with your circumstances, income, job situations etc.  They just need their money.

American Musical Supply is good.  We assume, however, that one knows what he is doing financially when buying there or anywhere else, and can afford what he/she is about to buy.

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 04:57:52 PM »
I have used the site effectively several times. You do have to know that your funds will be there to cover the payments. I actually am looking at purchasing some gear from the site at this moment but have been holding off because I am in a point right now that I can't afford it. When the time is right, I will make the payment arrangement. It is the easiest avenue for ME to get gear... It may not be for everyone.

Don't mean to sound defensive...

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 07:12:06 PM »
I have used the site effectively several times. You do have to know that your funds will be there to cover the payments. I actually am looking at purchasing some gear from the site at this moment but have been holding off because I am in a point right now that I can't afford it. When the time is right, I will make the payment arrangement. It is the easiest avenue for ME to get gear... It may not be for everyone.

Don't mean to sound defensive...
I've been there when I was your age. Now I can afford to buy certain things but I don't because I disciplined myself not to make spur of the moment decisions. When I bought my first keyboard I wanted the Roland XP 60 or 80. I couldn't wait to save up the cash so I settled for a Roland XP 10 and to get that I refinanced my car.  :P I still have that keyboard but I wish I had waited. Now the XP 60/80 are vintage keyboards. I paid that car off years later and two or three times over.  :D Looking back I would say dont get in any debt. If you do get in debt let it be a home with equity.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 09:58:21 PM »
^^^Yeah man, I'm trying to save up and get a new guitar but I've been tempted several times to buy guitar pedals. I really do not know what it takes to save up

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 07:33:31 AM »
^^^Yeah man, I'm trying to save up and get a new guitar but I've been tempted several times to buy guitar pedals. I really do not know what it takes to save up
I'm not sure how old you are but I remember not being able to get things I wanted even though I was working. Looking back I see the answer either you save up or find a way to make more money. That could be finding a better job or a way to make money on the side. You could sell old gear or items you have or maybe cut grass/rake leaves. There are ways to get what you want you just have to think out of the box. Depending on the city you live in and the laws, you can even set up your guitar on the street.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up