LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's The End of the Road...  (Read 1192 times)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

It's The End of the Road...
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:25:45 PM »
...for Hamer guitars.  Fender (FMIC) has announced that it will discontinue Hamer guitars this February.  Hamer was purchased by Kaman Music back in 1988 which itself was purchased by Fender in 2008.  Hamer now joins the ranks of SWR, Genz-Benz, and D'Armond among the brands that have died off under Fender ownership.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Re: It's The End of the Road...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
Sad.
Back in the '80s I was a big Hamer fan. Never owned one, but would have if I had the money.
And then in the late '90s I played the BEST Strat I'd ever laid my hands on. A USA Daytona model in translucent green finish. Amazingly beautiful, excellent quality and hot-rodded Strat tone for days.
Again, lack of funds prevented me from picking it up and I still think of that guitar whenever I play a Strat.

I wonder how long Ovation will last?
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:54:51 PM »
I didn't know that SWR had gone under.  One of the best bass amps that I ever owned was an SWR Workingman 10 bass amp. They are still using it at my church as a keyboard amp and it works well today. Its 10 years old if it is a day.  They made excellent amps, so much so that one wonders why they went under.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
I didn't know that SWR had gone under.  One of the best bass amps that I ever owned was an SWR Workingman 10 bass amp. They are still using it at my church as a keyboard amp and it works well today. Its 10 years old if it is a day.  They made excellent amps, so much so that one wonders why they went under.

Once Fender got them they probably realized they had too much redundancy in bass amps and that they were competing with themselves, so they axed the brand. That's what they did with Sunn; morphed their products into a Fender Pro Audio line and killed the Sunn brand.

I think Fender is really missing an opportunity with Hamer, though, as Hamer has always done well what Fender has failed at: producing a line of quality dual humbucker set-neck guitars.
Try as they might to broaden their appeal, Fender is still primarily a single coil bolt-neck guitar company. Putting humbuckers into Strats and Teles and Jags, etc...doesn't make them competitive with Les Pauls and SGs and Explorers and so on. Fender could aim Hamer upscale, like they used to be, and make them equal to PRS.
But it looks like they won't and Hamer will fade away.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:45:03 PM »
I was a big Hamer fan. Never owned one,....

And thus the reason why Hamer will no longer be with us.  If I had a dollar for every time I've a similar comment....I'd have enough money to buy a Hamer  :)
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom
Pages: [1]   Go Up