LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Amp - Trying to figure it out!  (Read 2175 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

My Amp - Trying to figure it out!
« on: January 25, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »
Hi guys.

I have a question to ask about my amp peavey vavle king 212. For some strange reason my organist and pastor keep telling me to turn my amp up so the praise team and audience can hear me, but what they don't understand is that when I go and turn the amp up to max or to at least to nine it makes like this roaring feedback sound coming from the amp, and I eventually have to turn it down to get rid of the feedback; and that problem is happening on the clean channel. Now on the Lead channel I can have almost the gain and the volume set at 12:00 and the treble, mid, and the low set to zero and it still would be making a roaring feedback sound on the lead channel.

I remember the first time I bought the amp I used to get a lot of crunch or power or huge distortion with that amp on the lead channel and the tubes would crank up, but now it is like the amp now is not design to play like that anymore. I remember the guitar repair man when he had replaced the tubes he fix the amp, but for something he told me about how he set the tubes to be low and not high or something he said so that they'll last long. I also bought a noise suppressor and that still did not solve roaring noise. So I'm thinking is it the cheap cables that I have. Could it be that? And also I sit in front the amp. It could be that. Idk!

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

Re: My Amp - Trying to figure it out!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:44:46 PM »
Get farther away from the amp. :P
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »
You sit in front of the amp?
And you're wondering why it's feeding back when you turn it up?
That's why.
Get a longer cable and get away from the amp, preferably way off to the side of it.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »
Thanks you guys for the input. I will try moving out the way but the area that we play in is very... very small and is crowded enough and I have no option but to sit in front the amp because of limited space. I will try to buy a guitar strap so I can stand up and out the way or do something.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
Dwest, sometimes you don't have a choice.  Under certain circumstances, feedback will occur almost every time, and you have to address it.

You really don't have to be so close to you amp, or to have your amp so close to some mics.  Scope out possible positions ahead of time. Also, it seems that you are causing the feedback by your position, but other things on the platform can cause feed back. 

Go there when no one else is around and see if you get the same feedback. Turn on the church's system and mics if you are authorized to do so.

While you're there, scope out better places for your amp.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 01:40:55 PM »
I talk to one of my other musicians and he told me he couldn't hear any feedback from my amp, but I told him I can hear it. But hopefully we can rearrange the area we play in.

Offline mike251

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »
Here is a quick one, turn the Amp backwards. This changes the direct of the sound, remember feedback comes from the guitar pick re-amping the amps output.  if you're next to a wall, use it to  scatter your sound throughout the church, Off the Wall.  MJ said it first. ;) All you need is 6-12 inches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up