LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swing feel  (Read 923 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Swing feel
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:32:33 PM »
Greetings my fellow guitar players! I want to talk about swing feel. In this video, this guitar player has an excellent technique. I would love to swing those notes like this guy in the video. But from the looks of things I can see he gets his playing from George Benson a lot. Im just starting to get into swing feel because I love jazz music a lot because it has a smooth sound to it. But anyway, anyone learn about swing feel and who did you look up to, to incorporate swing feel into your playing?

Swing feel

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Re: Swing feel
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:13:08 PM »
Swing is just another style of groove or a way to accent notes and beats over a measure.
I first picked it up from some of the southern rock bands that I used to listen to. They played sort of a hard rock boogie-woogie groove in some of their songs (Whisky Rock-a-Roller by Lynyrd Skynyrd, Big Apple by Molly Hatchet, Jukin' by Atlanta Rhythm Section).
Later on I listened to a lot of Glenn Miller and other big band-era swing bands. THAT is the source of swing in modern music.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

Re: Swing feel
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:35:35 PM »
There is a wide array of grooves you can use for a swing feel. You can do dotted-8th swing, triplet swing, dotted 16th swing...
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"
Pages: [1]   Go Up