LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scalloped Guitar Neck  (Read 1340 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Scalloped Guitar Neck
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:43:26 PM »
Hi guys. Have anyone ever played on a scalloped guitar neck before? I heard that having this type of scalloped fret board you can play faster or something. How is the action on a scalloped guitar neck? I know one guitar that has a scalloped neck and that is Yngwie J. Malmsteen. What are your thoughts on it?

Offline Sweetplayer

• LGM Member

Re: Scalloped Guitar Neck
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 07:12:14 PM »
You going out in left -field.Bring it  back home young man  :-* :-*

Offline Sweetplayer

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »
You going out in left -field.Bring it  back home young man  :-* :-*
I like u bro.Keep posting ;D

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 02:57:00 AM »
I think jumbo frets would do the trick sufficiently.

I'd only want scalloped frets to do like that Chinese pipa microtonal bending stuff with light strings tuned down a 1/2 step or so :3
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 06:16:51 AM »
Hi guys. Have anyone ever played on a scalloped guitar neck before? I heard that having this type of scalloped fret board you can play faster or something. How is the action on a scalloped guitar neck? I know one guitar that has a scalloped neck and that is Yngwie J. Malmsteen. What are your thoughts on it?

I've never played one, but I don't think I'd want to.  Scalloped necks are designed to facilitate fast lead playing, but you can forget about playing chords.  I think you should stick to regular fret boards and repent lest the Gods of Guitar pour out their wrath upon thee.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 02:47:55 PM »
Why is everyone against scalloped guitar necks all of sudden? I think those YJM pickups are great on that particular guitar. I've never heard pure screams on such a guitar in my whole entire life.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
I've played one once and you need to have amazing fret hand technique in order to play one properly without knocking it out of tune on every note.
I'l stick to regular frets and fingerboards, thanks.  ;D
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
I've played one once and you need to have amazing fret hand technique in order to play one properly without knocking it out of tune on every note.
I'l stick to regular frets and fingerboards, thanks.  ;D

lol!  ;D

It's just that I want to try something new once for a while, because it seems as though that those strats all sound the same to me. Idk I guess adding some YJM pickups on a strat would make the guitar come to life!

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
lol!  ;D

It's just that I want to try something new once for a while, because it seems as though that those strats all sound the same to me. Idk I guess adding some YJM pickups on a strat would make the guitar come to life!

The after-market pickup racket.  Well, it may not be a total racket, but chances are the perceived differences in tone among similar styles of pickups are incremental at best and likely to virtually disappear in a performance environment.  Of course, there are some exceptions to this, but if you want to try something different; then how about some slide? 

BTW, speaking pickups - I'm about to post something in the gear section that seems rather innovative.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom
Pages: [1]   Go Up