LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar pick keep tripping between the strings  (Read 1891 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Guitar pick keep tripping between the strings
« on: February 01, 2014, 11:25:44 AM »
Hi guys. I have a problem. For some strange reason my guitar pick keep getting tripped up between certain strings when practicing with a metronome. The action on the guitar is set very low to the point where you can play fast. Do you think I need to go and have the strings height adjusted a little more higher to keep from me from tripping over certain strings with my guitar pick? I actually use fender medium picks. I talk to one guitar guy at a music shop he said it takes practice not allowing the guitar pick to trip up between the strings. But how do you stop allowing the guitar pick to trip over the strings? Do you have to place the guitar pick all the way down in between the strings and play or do you have to not have the pick place all the way down between strings and then play? Anyway, So he said I might have to try a thin pick. Now I actually played with a extra light guitar pick 0.38 mm pick, but that wont work to well on medium strings. So right now I'm using a medium pick with medium strings.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

Re: Guitar pick keep tripping between the strings
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »
I wish you could describe your problem in more descriptive terms than "tripping over certain strings". Are you strumming? Arpeggios? Picking single notes?

I suppose you should be sure to keep a relaxed enough grip so it glides over the strings, and no you shouldn't really have your pick all down in the strings about to hit the pickups, haha.

As dave mentioned in that other thread you don't have to match up your pick thickness with your strings. "Medium" varies from manufacturer to manufacturer anyway. Just try some different picks out on your guitar regardless of the strings you have on it and see how it goes.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
Thanks you guys for your input. I finally done solved this problem of stumbling over certain strings while playing single notes. The problem was the way I hold the guitar while picking. A lot of people have their arm wrapped around the curve of the solid body guitar.  I used to play the guitar that way too with my arm placed around the guitar and my forearm resting on the body of the guitar next to the bridge to support my picking hand. And I would have problems with picking smoothly or literally stumbling over certain strings when playing single notes very fast. But now you know where the curve is at on the solid body guitar when playing the guitar? I now place my arm right behind that curve and my forearm sits on top of it, and I can pick much better creating a shorter distance from my arm to the guitar pickups. I don't know but I can't pick the guitar the way I used to. I really don't know how you all do it - playing the guitar the normal way. I guess it is because I have a longer arm length. So the shorter distance I can have my arm and forearm close to the pickups the better I can play.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
LOL, I suppose it depends on the shape of the guitar.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 01:06:22 PM »
you could also simply be trying to play faster than you are capable of. that will cause your hands to get out of sync...

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:38 PM »
you could also simply be trying to play faster than you are capable of. that will cause your hands to get out of sync...

And your absolutely right about that!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:20:32 PM »
Guitar Speed Secrets Nobody Told You
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 08:45:48 AM »
^^^That guy has some decent advice and all of it probably works for him, but I wish he'd demonstrate his technique while playing clean. All that buzzy distortion masks a LOT of picking slop and note definition.
Not saying he's not good, but just saying beware the overly-distorted shredder.

Now THIS guy is known for shredding with the best, but he also demonstrates how nearly perfect his technique is by playing clean...

http://youtu.be/hMoYQEO0-RU
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »
I just stumbled on that and decided to post because it sounded like good advice. lol I'm definitely no shredder. I figured someone would confirm whether it is good. I'm sure the even pick is probably good because it does make sense.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »
Here's one of the original shredders...from the 1950s...totally clean and lightning fast.
Jimmy Bryant:

http://youtu.be/pO7UFFVl27U

I used to be all into the metal shredder guys until I listened to those classic country and jazz players doing the same thing, but with no distortion.  ;D
Music theory is not always music reality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up